Takahachikawa

railsquid

Somewhere in the west of Tokyo, where the Kanto plain hits the hills, there is a fictitious station called Takahachikawa (高八川) served by the Chuo Line, and due to some inherent vagueness in geography various other lines (Yokohama, Nanbu, Musashino, Hachiko etc.), with a fair bit of freight passing through (including those nice red dual-voltage locos from the Musashino line). Nearby there's one of those funny Seibu branches which infests the west of Tokyo in a mildly disconnected manner, which may or may not actually be the Chichibu railway as well, or maybe even one of those JNR Chuo Line branches which time forgot, or something else, depending on how the tea leaves settled. There's also a small tram network because I like trams.

42166435292_66f4f5ee51_z.jpg

Takahachikawa by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Well, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Until I think of something better.

A shot from an aerial survey drone earlier today, various sections pending (re)development so don't read too much into the current configuration, however the main elevated tracks will remain as-is.

41491486264_47336bbb30_z.jpg

aerial-view by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 14

Whoops, seems the layout has gone AWOL:

42184833252_13e5e2674a_z.jpg

reconstruction_001 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Turns out it needed to take a short break due to essential air conditioner maintenance.

40423821860_6600c8f125.jpg

reconstruction_002 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Reconstruction commences:

42184832692_f27f3e794d_z.jpg

reconstruction_005 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

42184831432_a9a72436d2_z.jpg

reconstruction_013 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Somebody forgot to add the English version of the station sign:

27360427757_1f3c75b886_z.jpg

station-sign by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 8

An attempt at an embankment overgrown with scrub, rather than the usual verdant scenic foliage.

28428152958_3599ddc722_z.jpg

embankment by Rail Squid, on Flickr

On some days I imagine this is a version of the Minobu Line, rising to join the Chuo Line in the foothills rather than on the plain near Kofu.

42254144162_bf8863b093_z.jpg

minobu-sen by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Finally I've managed to fill in the remaining holds between scenic blocks; the remaining gaps will be disguised by cunningly-placed greenery (amazing how many sins you can cover up with greenery, I find).

41579526784_78eca6f826_z.jpg

scenery-gaps by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 9

That's a cute little staircase there that seems perfectly fitted in with the height and all! (though I wonder if it will be used since it is in-between 2 tracks...  😛 )

3 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

That's a cute little staircase there that seems perfectly fitted in with the height and all! (though I wonder if it will be used since it is in-between 2 tracks...  😛 )

It fits because I cut it to shape :P It was originally part of a Tomix station, I need to paint it though. It is intended for use by permanent way workers and as a possible passenger evacuation route, as there's no other way down from the elevated section without going through the tunnels.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, railsquid said:

Starting to get some "depth"

Ok, i have a question. There is a tunnel portal and a bridge in the upper left corner. Where does that track go?

7 minutes ago, kvp said:

Ok, i have a question. There is a tunnel portal and a bridge in the upper left corner. Where does that track go?

It goes from nowhere to nowhere, or alternatively wherever you imagine it goes 😉.

40389424842_35235526ca_z.jpg

new-hill-construction-1 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

It's purely decorative, I will use it from time to time to display trains, like this:

25567445497_9c018d5eb9_z.jpg

rhaetischer-bahn by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, railsquid said:

Some detailing work, mainly painting those steps a more "natural" grey so they don't stand out so much.

Good idea! Imho using slightly different grays for the metal handrails and the base concrete could make it even nicer.

The handrails are actually thick enough they could be cast concrete ;), but yup, I will get round to painting them differently at some poinmt

The strata formations in that part of town are amazing squid! I bet there are dinosaur bones between the blue and pink layers!

jeff

• Like 1
9 hours ago, railsquid said:

Fills the gap between the layout and the table on the right.

Is this what is often called layout creep? Like in the sense that a layout always slowly occupies all space that is available around it.

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, kvp said:

Is this what is often called layout creep? Like in the sense that a layout always slowly occupies all space that is available around it.

That already happened a couple of years ago, this is just the last missing piece of the plan, bwahaha.

• Haha 3