Godmother of sumo

cteno4

Sumo always seems so exotic, then to see this little British lady being a top sumo expert it’s even more strangle wonderful.

Doreen Simmons, Unlikely Voice of Sumo Wrestling, Dies at 85   https://nyti.ms/2IbWMIN

cheers

jedd

Claude_Dreyfus

I saw Hiro Morita's tribute to her on NHK last night. Despite being English and a (albeit recent) sumo fan, I was not aware of her and her influence until now. RIP.

I’m amazed how hypnotizing sumo can be. I find myself watching the competition summaries mesmerized all the time now on nhk.

jeff

Claude_Dreyfus

I've been a sumo fan for a few years now. I have been fortunate enough to attend a couple of tournaments in Tokyo; the most recent in 2019. The atmosphere in a packed Kokugikan is amazing, as was the noise, especially when a popular Rikishi is fighting...sadly the noise is much reduced in these Covid times, but I am sure that will return.

Another sumo fan here. I've been watching it on NHK World and Jason's Sumo Channel (YouTube) for years.

It's a very fast, exciting sport. I do sometimes worry about the wrestlers, that much weight isn't healthy and the fact that the dohyou is raised means that they frequently fall out of it (and onto the spectators!)

I was a big Tochinoshin fan, but he is on the tail end of his career now I think. My favourite rikishi at the moment is probably Ura. Never want to miss his matches, they are almost always entertaining as he tries bizarre and unexpected techniques to win.

Claude_Dreyfus

I too am a Tochinoshin fan. Perhaps the strongest of recent wrestlers, his knee damage has robbed him of his power, and I half expect him to retire this year. I still vividly remember him lifting Yokozuna Kakuryu  physically out of the dohyo. Agree about Ura as well, and in a similar vein I would like to see Enho back in the top division.

My favourite current wrestler is probably Hokutofuji. 

• Like 1

I’ve watched enough tournaments now I recognize most of the upper level wrestlers now, but having really picked any favorites, plus my dyslexic brain has a hard time with names and lists. I’ve enjoyed just looking at stats before each match like the win records and weights and ages and I usually root for the underdogs like youngster up against high winner, the old guy, the smaller guy, one with a loosing record. I especially like it when the light weight guys take on a huge wrestler and skill matches the mass. 

yes it’s a brutal sport on health. Im actually surprised when you see guys in their late 30s still at it. Injuries seem to be a big problem as well as unhealthy lifestyle. I’ve seen estimates of 20 years off lifespan.

kind of judo, wrestling, us football tackling, and even ultimate fighting thrown in. None of those are of a lot of interest to me, but sumo oddly mesmerizing for me…

jeff