Hobbies R good

cteno4

Surprising how many folks these days don’t get it. I am always surprised when folks look at me screwie when I talk about hobbies... not fun part of modern culture.

jeff

That's an interesting read. I find I definitely downplay how important my hobbies are to me. I feel that here in Murica there's a sense that we should be spending all our free time on some venture to become then next Elon Musk or something. 

Yep that’s the current culture, but ironically is “playing” with a hobby that can let you better come up with some wild idea to maybe make a buck or two (or loose a billion or two).

ive been challenged quite a lot when the topic of hobbies comes up in conversations and you really have to hold strong as the first blast are of amusement and the idea of downright laziness at you. But if you hold strong a minute with what you do the tables turn very quickly and most get caught with their pants down so to speak and realize they have no hobby and that is actually a void/issue with them not you with a hobby. I do try to be encouraging to others then about hobbies and the good things they do for the human brain and soul, but I won’t be bullied about it and many actually try to do that. Probably just a natural defense reaction when they don’t have any themselves.

at shows I talk to a lot of folks about how good hobbies are and how missing they our in our current culture. I especially try to reach out to parents as they are the example for their kids and also great thing to share with kids. I spent a lot of my youth in my father’s woodshop with him learning woodworking. It was a wonderful thing and I’m always thinking of him when in the shop.

jeff

• Like 1
serotta1972

In the office, I'm the guy known as the man with many hobbies and they always ask me - where do you find the time?  Why do you that? 

• Like 1

I’ve always had hobbies, it’s the only thing that keeps me sane I think, although most of the time I’m too busy, it’s the promise of hobbies that keeps me going!! 😀

• Like 2

It's probably either hobbies or going to the local pub. :)  I vote for Tomytec and Mini Rail curves.

• Like 2

In Japan you can have your can have your cake and eat it too at the train bars! 

Maybe some hobby shops should open pubs in them — after a couple of pints, sure I’ll take two, no three, of those D51s and throw in a shiki-shima!

Jeff

1 minute ago, bill937ca said:

It's probably either hobbies or going to the local pub. :)  I vote for Tomytec and Mini Rail curves.

• Haha 3

If you have no hobbies after retirement, i.e. if your whole reason for existing / only identity was your job,  you are in for a hard time!    I have often observed this among my colleagues: those with hobbies are like children finally set free!

Edited by EF57
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2