JR East E261 Series Announced

Looks like they are wearing slippers while on the train.  Crew from the train's builder keeping it in mint condition until it actually enters service?  Removing one's shoes on entering a place is common in Japan.

1 hour ago, Sheffie said:

Can anyone  explain the ritual that takes place where the crew step off the train, put something on the ground, step on it, and pick it up again? I am intrigued 

Looks like they're wearing indoor shoes on the train.  Step off train, drop outdoor shoes and slip into them, pick up indoor shoes.  It looks like the first two guys off the train don't do it.

edit: sorry Bill, I should have clicked on to the second page before replying 🙂

Edited by miyakoji
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, bill937ca said:

Looks like they are wearing slippers while on the train.  Crew from the train's builder keeping it in mint condition until it actually enters service?  Removing one's shoes on entering a place is common in Japan.

This is the equivalent of inspecting a commercial premises (office etc.) where shoes would normally be worn, where slippers are supplied to keep the place clean before it's rented out.

• Like 1

Thanks, all. I did know about removing one's shoes on entering a house, but I hadn't thought of extending that to a workplace or train

HankyuDentetsu
On 11/7/2019 at 6:41 AM, bikkuri bahn said:

eegads! desirofication has finally reached these shores??

Nothing to contribute to this thread (other than the E261 looks rather lovely), but your comment really made me laugh for some reason. No one is safe from desirofication!

• Haha 1

And  now, here's one of the first zenmen tenbou videos of the E261 on the Saphir Odoriko train in revenue service: 

• Like 4

I had missed this earlier. The lines look similar to the  BR 182/183 / ÖBB 1x16 "Taurus" lines of locomotives from Siemens (ES 64 U).  That is the first thing that came to mind when I saw the initial post.