JR East E261 Series Announced

bill937ca

JR East has announced a new sightseeing express series, E261 to debut in the spring of 2020 between Tokyo and Izu.  There will be 2 eight-car trains.  Photos in the links.

JR East News Release   http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2018/20180502.pdf

tetsudo-shimbun.com http://tetsudo-shimbun.com/headline/entry-1399.html

Railf.jp  https://railf.jp/news/2018/05/08/154500.html

Mynavi.jp  https://news.mynavi.jp/article/20180508-e261/

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Nice design, especially the colors. Although the top windows look to be an aftertought. They are very similar to the standing passenger windows on 1950ies american trams and buses or the side skylights used on the 1960ies buses and campers.

• Like 1

It does look really elegant and modern, especially with those colors. I think the front section also somewhat resembles some European Commuter MU's. I guess it will be a replacement for the 251 series?
In any case, I'm looking forward to having it on my layout :D

Edited by Gryphr
  • Like 1
bill937ca

It is one of the few modern trains I like on first sight.  For me its the lines and the color.

• Like 2
Sacto1985

Yep, I expect the new E261 to replace the now-aging 251 Series trainsets. 

JR 500系

It seems the 251 series are facing the axe really soon.... and I have yet to ride on it... 

Will the Izu Craile still runs once this train is out in 2020? With such luxury, I doubt the Izu Craile can match it...

Dentobu93

Great design looking forward how the end result looks like.

I am sceptical though if this would replace the 251 series because:

While the 251 is already older then 25 years only 2 E261 8 car formations are going to be built while the 251 has 4 sets in 10 car formations.

1 set of E261 (164 seats) has only around 33% of the capacity of 1 set of 251 (499 seats).

The seat arrangement of 1+2 and 1+1 + the 3 special cars looks like it's more of an luxery train like the Kintetsu 50000 which could mean it might not replace anything at all and just get added as extra service.

It's more likely that the E261 is going to replace the last 2 Izukyu 2100's and or the 1 E259 on the marine express service even though the izukyu 2100 7 car set (other is 8 car) already has 332 seats (double the amount of E261), but it is older then the 251 and they have already retired 2 and converted 1 into the royal express.

The Izu Craile is by 2020 only 4 years old from the 651 series modification so it's unlikely it will get replaced anytime soon.

Edited by Dentobu93
Izu craile added
bill937ca
On 5/9/2018 at 2:41 PM, Dentobu93 said:

It's more likely that the E261 is going to replace the last 2 Izukyu 2100's and or the 1 E259 on the marine express service even though the izukyu 2100 7 car set (other is 8 car) already has 332 seats (double the amount of E261), but it is older then the 251 and they have already retired 2 and converted 1 into the royal express.

E261 won"t replace Izukyu 2100's as they are privately owned by the Izukyu Corporation which is owned by Tokyu Corporation. JR just has trackage rights over the line. With the Royal Express there are 3 2100s remaining.  

Edited by bill937ca

JNS forum member Ayokoi uploaded this vid of the E261 leaving the factory.

I think the colors look nice, not completely convinced about the front however. It makes it somewhat look like a streetcar to me.

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 3

Most, if not all of the JR limited express train sets that I have seen appear to only have one door (on each side of course) per coach. Must be a bit of a hassle with your luggage if your reserved seat  is at the opposite end of the carriage. Any ideas as to the reasoning for this? Carriages in UK and Europe (mostly)have doors at each end. 

Shinkansen of course have doors at each end. 

Cue dozens of photos/vids of Ltd express trains on JR with doors at each end!

..somewhat look like a streetcar...

...Looks kinda european to me 

eegads! desirofication has finally reached these shores??

• Haha 2

I believe only two E261 train sets are to be built, which will replace the now-aging 251 series excursion train sets. That is unless the 251 Series train sets are rebuilt for use on Home Liner commuter services exclusively.

I'm giving it a thumbs up.

I wonder if the window behind the driver's compartment is conducive to making zenmen tenbou videos.  Inquiring minds want to know.  Well, at least mine anyway.

🙄

On 11/7/2019 at 2:57 AM, lesliegibson said:

Most, if not all of the JR limited express train sets that I have seen appear to only have one door (on each side of course) per coach. Must be a bit of a hassle with your luggage if your reserved seat  is at the opposite end of the carriage. Any ideas as to the reasoning for this? Carriages in UK and Europe (mostly)have doors at each end. 

Shinkansen of course have doors at each end. 

Cue dozens of photos/vids of Ltd express trains on JR with doors at each end!

Certainly true of some JNR-era designs (183/189, 185  series etc.).

Conversely, intermediate cars on 400 and E6 series Shinkansens only have doors at one end.

Given that carriages are generally ca. 20 metres it probably makes sense not to waste space on an additional set of doors, when (like EdF says) you can just use the ones from the neighbouring carriage.

Also, being Japan, each stop is announced clearly and with sufficient time for passengers to get ready (unlike in the UK/Europe where often you're lucky if there's a display board which will tell you the next stop, and if you're really lucky it will be correct...).

On 11/7/2019 at 4:22 AM, EdF said:

You could just board at the next car, but also don't the Japanse tend to travel light, using delivery services for luggage?

Domestic travel within Japan, particularly for destinations like Izu, tends to be for trips of a couple of days, so often a carry-on suitcase is enough anyway.

The reason people tend to send heavy baggage ahead is more likely to be to avoid the hassle of getting it from your home to your local station then navigating to where the express train is going from, especially if you intend travelling during the rush hour.

Can anyone  explain the ritual that takes place where the crew step off the train, put something on the ground, step on it, and pick it up again? I am intrigued