C56 160 retirement

We took a short drive to Yamaguchi yesterday as the SL Yamaguchi C56 is having ( as I understand it) it’s last run weekend. Sadly tickets were already sold out some time ago but that didn’t stop us taking a short ride up the line on a Kiha 40 to get a few nice shots.The C56 is hidden behind the black smoke of D51 200 but great weather and awesome to hear the whistle echo through the mountains of Yamaguchi.

4BF5FFC9-20A5-481D-B172-17297E647A50.jpeg

• Like 5

Seem some footage on facebook this morning of the C56 and a DD51 pulling 5 series 12 coaches.

I think the C56 is going in for it's mainline running overhaul.  A 2 year process normally.

Edited by katoftw
  • Thanks 1
On 5/5/2018 at 6:09 PM, katoftw said:

I think the C56 is going in for it's mainline running overhaul.  A 2 year process normally.

I wouldn't be surprised that once the C56 completes its overhaul, the D51 will be sent back for its own overhaul and the C56 takes over the SL Yamaguchi service.

D51 is only 6-12 months removed from its time in Kyoto after its 2 year overhaul.  I think it is still 8-9 years away from needing a mainline cert full overhaul again.  C571 probably is need of some work soon(ish?)  C56-160 isn't strong enough to pull the 5 coaches on the Yamaguchi Line, so it always has assistance diesel along for the ride.  Hence why I think the D51 made it west as far as it did.

Thanks for sharing the video.  Is the C56 being fully retired to never run again, or is it going in for an overhaul and will be back in a few years?

All I've found it is being retired from main line duties.

So it probably needs the two year overhaul to stay on the main lines. So JRW will not do it to save coin and have it doing shunts at Kyoto train museum.

• Sad 1

I think the JNR Class D51 is better-suited for train excursion duties. I wouldn't be surprised if JR West looks at restoring another D51 so it could run while D51 200 undergoes regular maintenance on the SL Yamaguchi excursion service. 

• Densha changed the title to C56 160 retirement

I merged two threads about this subject.

I have seen the C56 160 in action myself on the Kita-Biwako-go service in November 2016, as you can see in my profile picture. A fellow Japanese railfan told me that the locomotive would probably be retired immediately after the Fall 2016 Kita-Biwako-go running season due to the boiler needing a major overhaul or perhaps even replacement. Good to hear that it survived a little bit longer. We will have to wait and see whether the C56 160 will now just be retired for main line services, will be retired completely, or will receive the actual necessary needed overhaul.

• Like 1
marknewton
On 6/3/2018 at 11:37 AM, katoftw said:

So it probably needs the two year overhaul to stay on the main lines.

Just to clarify, is that an overhaul that's done every two years, or an overhaul that takes two years to complete? I ask because I can't see an overhaul of a trafficable loco requiring two years. Look at C58 239 and C61 20 - both engines that were stuffed and mounted outdoors, yet returned to traffic after approximately 12 month rebuilds.

All the best,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
marknewton
20 hours ago, Densha said:

A fellow Japanese railfan told me that the locomotive would probably be retired immediately after the Fall 2016 Kita-Biwako-go running season due to the boiler needing a major overhaul or perhaps even replacement.

This press release seems to imply that the loco is simply being retired from mainline service. Which makes me think it's going to spend the rest of it's days pottering around Umekoji.

https://www.westjr.co.jp/press/article/2018/05/page_12373.html

I don't know what provision the Japanese boiler code makes for operating at reduced pressure, but I'd be surprised if the whole boiler needs replacing. I've seen that all the steam operators in Japan take their water treatment and washout regime very seriously, so when it comes time for heavy boiler overhaul the barrel and firebox wrapper are usually in very good condition. Likewise the throatplate and smokebox tubeplate. What does need replacing are the superheater elements and flues, tubes, archtubes and perhaps the inner firebox if the back corners and under the fire door are too far gone to be patched. That's all work that is well with the capabilities of the workshop at Umekoji. 

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
Forgot to link the press release! :(
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, marknewton said:

Just to clarify, is that an overhaul that's done every two years, or an overhaul that takes two years to complete? I ask because I can't see an overhaul of a trafficable loco requiring two years. Look at C58 239 and C61 20 - both engines that were stuffed and mounted outdoors, yet returned to traffic after approximately 12 month rebuilds.

All the best,

Mark.

Total time taken to overhaul if complete overhaul procedure is done right down to the last bolt etc. Yes could be done quicker if you throw more money at it. Time quoted is an approx.

Edited by katoftw