Forum software update

Martijn Meerts

Hi!

I just wanted to let everyone know that there's another update for the forum software coming up. Not long ago, Invision released version 4.3 of the forum software, which brings a couple of changes. While this isn't a major update, it's definitely not a small one either. I'm still researching if the update can be done fairly easily, and so far it looks like it'll be a fairly straightforward update.

That said, I still want to run a backup of both the web server and the database before going ahead with the update, so I'm expecting to do it something in this upcoming weekend. The forum will be down for a little while, but it shouldn't be much more than maybe an hour at most.

Of most interest to this forum is probably the updated gallery as well as the general performance improvements. If you want to read up on the update, there's more info here: https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
Martijn Meerts

The forum software has been updated to the latest version, so it should again be possible for people to register 😉

There's also a renewed gallery, more emoticons, some additional performance enhancements, and various other things you probably won't ever notice.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

A few odd things have popped up with the update, please report any odd stuff you notice thru this thread or pm admin.

thanks

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Btw, I'm also still looking into the whole SSL certificate, so that we can host the forum on https rather than just http. With our current Linux version on the server, it's a bit difficult to get it to work with automatic updates, however, Amazon has a release candidate for a new version of Linux which will make this a lot easier. I'm not sure when they'll do a final release, but once they do I'll start work on migrating to the new version of Amazon Linux.

Disclaimer: I'm aware that there are many Linux distros which make this easy, and Amazon doesn't force the use of Amazon Linux, however, Amazon Linux does offer a few niceties when you're running on Amazon's servers, which is really why we're running on Amazon Linux.

I don't seem to be able to use the "All Activity" function on either my phone or desktop. Has there been a change in the software, or have I maybe done something to de-select it? If it's gone, would it be possible to bring it back. I find it useful for finding ongoing discussions that I haven't contributed to. The problem with the "unread posts" function is it disappears without a trace after you've looked at it once.

Not a big deal. Maybe about one fifth of a peeve.

With the recent forum software update, the All Activity button seems to have been replaced by the Unread Content button. You can still access the All Activity page over here: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/discover/

Another way is changing the Read Status from Content I haven't read into Everything on the Unread Content page. Alternatively, you can set up your own content stream via My Activity Streams --> Create New Stream.

I thought that happened the all activity seemed to disappear for me last week. My standard unread is still on the right but that’s the feed you can set to what you want (at least it use to be) and I’ve aleays had it set to unread.

ive been doing the same to see all when I need it now. Wasn’t there an activity tab before?

jeff

you can get the full activity when you have clicked on the unread by clicking on the Activity link in the upper left bread crumbs nav.

jeff