A messy start

grumbeast

grumbeast

Well, I’ve got my space in the new house, and I’ve put two hollow core tables end to end and am playing with some track planning.  I’ve planned in the past but find that I work best if I left it evolve.  

Excuse the absolute mess, it seems that we’ve unpacked and tidied every room but mine!

The layout will have exchangeable scenes but fairly generic countryside scenery so I can swap specific features to change country (I hope!) so I can have a German, Japanese and Candian layout.

the two loops at the lower level will have a four strack staging yard at the back and will have catenary poles the branch and terminus won’t.  I basically want it all 😀

99730436-1747-40C0-91EA-68986FF060D0.jpeg

47FBE2B0-5CC8-4CB1-B664-19D40BD2BB84.jpeg

• Like 4

Looks like a good start!  I like the plan, it looks very satisfying to run and very usable.  Did you just move to Nanaimo?  I visited there years ago, wonder if the train ferry operation is still working.

grumbeast

To moved here in January and there is still freight between Nanaimo and Duncan, but I’m not sure of the train ferry still runs.  I think it must for freight as it’s the only way to get stock off the island 

Grumbeast, I am intrigued with your interchangeable scenery idea. Any update to share? While I think my focus will be on JNR transits and scenery, I can foresee blaspheming and running Delaware and Hudson (the colorful former regional railroad where I live in Upstate NY (and their commitment to ALCOs, also locally made) and even slipping in a long Union Paciific freight... or electrified Great Northern engines, or PRR's G1s.