Chadbag's "temporary" layout

chadbag

This is a placeholder for my first layout, which I call temporary as we will be moving in 2020 if all goes as planned, and instead of a table in the basement, there will be 1 or more train rooms :)

I am starting tonight to clear out the space for the table.  I decided to do Spring Cleaning and clear out space instead of rigging up a suspended table with pulleys.  So an 8' x 4' frame with some cross pieces for support (and metal brackets etc) with blue foam as the surface will be constructed in the next week or two for the space I am clearing out.

Cool having a big table to play with is great. Just remeber not to build the boat in the basement! 

Jeff

21 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Cool having a big table to play with is great. Just remeber not to build the boat in the basement! 

Jeff

It will just be a frame with blue foam attached.  I'll lay it on a banquet table.  It is not permanent so when we move we can take everything off.  I'll probably just use silicone caulk to attach stuff.   Easily get things off again. Mostly to experiment with DCC layout issues, and for fun.  

29 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

Can you reach everywhere on a 8' x 4' table?

Yes.  I will have 360 degree access so the furthest I really have to reach is 2 ft (60 cm)

Edited by chadbag

So, as I was kind-of chronicling on the "what did you do on your layout today" thread, I got the frame and foam table built. I did not add a pulley system but just let it sit on an old banquet table.  I cleared out enough room to just leave it up in the basement.

Right now there is a big oval type double track on a green table cloth on it.  I have the Digikeijs DR5000 command station hooked up to it, and a Digitrax LNWI hooked up over Loconet.  Since the DR5000 supports Z21 protocol over WiFi, and the LNWI supports the WiThrottle/JMRI protocol, I should be able to use wireless WiFi throttles of both sorts.  I gave a couple Roco WiMAUS throttles (Z21) but have not gotten them up and running yet.  I did download WiThrottle Lite for my iPhone and got it connected to the LNWI and was able to use it to drive a HobbyTrain BR110 German locomotive I have with a D&H decoder installed around the loop, so all is well!  The first train driven by my DR5000 in my basement made it all the way around 🙂.  Up to now I have been using an NCE PowerCab throttle/command center on the kitchen table.  (The NCE will remain the portable command center/throttle for when I need or want to use the kitchen table or set up outside the house).

I need to straighten up the wires, start planning some blocks (for learning), get some switches wired in, etc.   And I have lots of scenery I can put out.

I will be adding a DC inner oval to run DC trains on the same layout table.

For now the goal is to have fun watching and driving the trains and learn more about DCC and setting up all the different capabilities and using them, looking to the time I take the green tablecloth off and make a more semi-permanent layout on the table.  Aiming for end of summer for that.

• Like 1

I am starting to plan what I really want to do on the 4x8 table (the one I have now is just for testing things and figuring stuff out and for driving trains while I plan).  I'll start my topic in the planning one and when construction starts will document that here.