JRM at 2018 Sakura Matsuri

cteno4

JRM will be at the 2018 National cherry blossom festival Sakura Matsuri this Saturday April 14 10:30a - 6p!

we will have our new layout there for its first appearance! If you are in the area please drop by for a visit. This year is finally back on Pennsylvania ave and not down at the ball park parking lots, so much more of a street festival again.

http://www.sakuramatsuri.org/

cheers,

jeff

• Like 5

I wish I could go to that but I'll be at the GSMTS in Timonium that weekend!

Not all hope lost though, got a DE10 and some KoKi 04 to bother people with.

Well we pulled off the layout for the festival! It was by the skin of our teeth, but we have had 13 years experience doing these and were able to draw a lot on what we did for the 4 week prep for the nyc japan week layout to make it happen! 

The layout was all set up loose, nothing nailed down. I made some simple racks that stacked 2-4 modules vertically to transport it all as the new roadie crates were not done yet. This allowed most of the stuff to go on each sectional module, but it got jumbled some with the module separation and transport, but nothing damaged and we were set up in a couple of hours. It was a great team effort in all the last minute prep  and the setup! 

This was a great way to start testing scene ideas.

festival was great, perfect weather at about 80F and sunny with just a bit of wind, but not bad. No derailments or accidents or broken stuff! Good crowds.

photos http://japanrailmodelers.org/photos/2018sakuramatsuri/index.html

nowmthe festival is over I’ll work on getting a full description of the new site up along with track plans on the JRM site.

cheers

jeff

• Like 8

This will be the layout, it will all get nailed down. Track was loose for this show and temp wiring harness and buildings in a first pass of how we may want scenes. We reused bits of scenery from the nyc layout. The track plan is similar but different enough that things needed to be used a bit differently and modified some. It was a good exercise in playing with buildings and scenes.

im done with doing set ups on the fly, this one was a job to get done. It’s fun doing them at home but having schlep all the stuff somewhere and set up forman event is stressful. We did that for 5 years with layout 1.0, I’m too old to do it any more!

whole concept of 3.0 will be it fits well in varying spaces, transports easily in station wagon/suv sized vehicles, has minimal parts, sets up and tears down rapidly.

jeff

• Like 2
Need for High Speed
On 4/10/2018 at 9:56 PM, GDorsett said:

I wish I could go to that but I'll be at the GSMTS in Timonium that weekend!

Not all hope lost though, got a DE10 and some KoKi 04 to bother people with.

I was at Timonium to.  over the weekend, not too much in Japanese stuff.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention defor made it to the festival for a visit! Nice to meet another JRM member in person! He hopes to make it to some of the other club events here.

cheers

jeff

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Need for High Speed said:

I was at Timonium to.  over the weekend, not too much in Japanese stuff.

did you get a chance to visit the massive HCMR layout in the East hall?

Need for High Speed

Yeah I did, but I was talking with another club that was from Philly. But I'm a HO guy. and I've yet to get a real HO shinkansen.

Edited by Need for High Speed