Japanese DMU in Southern England!

Claude_Dreyfus

I think my main argument against the CS/MS (Central Station, and Mobile Station) is that they're too inflexible.

The cheaper controller is the MS, which is offered in sets (and naturally can be found on ebay brand new from people splitting sets). However, this device can't control accessories like points, and can only handle ten locos in its database. So if you have ten locos and buy another you have to delete one. The poor reliability of these devices is infamous - mine expired at about 18 months old. One minute it was fine, I switched off, left the layout for an hour (didn't change anything), turned the power back on and it was dead. I won't be buying another!

The CS can do everything but it's a whopping price jump with no intermediate stages. It's over twice the price of a Lenz system capable of doing most of the same things for DCC and unlike Lenz there's no option to build a system over time - you have to go out and buy it all in one go, in one box. You still have to register locos with the controller, as opposed to the rest of the world on DCC where you simply dial in an address and drive off. It also has well-documented reliability problems, and Marklin don't seem particularly interested in making it simple for you to return a broken one (I don't think an RTB warranty would be too much to ask on a €400 device). 

Marklin's original digital system was far better designed. It may be a bit clunky now but it's reliable, simple to use, and has very tactile controls. On that you just dial in the address and drive off, none of this "registration" business and you're free to have 80 addresses. As a result, the 6021 (their previous central controller) still fetches good prices used. With that, you can buy the basic box (addresses 80 locos, has five function buttons, can program decoders) and then add boxes - an extra throttle, a keyboard to control points, a memory unit to store routes so you can set them with a single button, a computer interface.

Martijn, would that forum have featured an obnoxious German as a member who seems to have some sort of insider information on Marklin? He doesn't exactly help their PR, although it would explain a lot if his attitudes are found in the company as well as amongst the rabid fanboys...

Martijn Meerts

Just to make sure, I wasn't saying I like the CS/MS. I do have an MS because I have a couple of mfx locomotives, but I don't like the first version that much. However, the CS/CS2 and MS/MS2 will appeal to kids because of their looks. Unfortunately the kids will never be able to afford them...

I do have 2 of the 6021 controller (I bought 2 large starter sets quite a few years back ;)), and they're definitely nice controllers. I also really like the Lenz system so far, mainly because its design is so modular.

And yes, there was a German guy like you describe on that forum. I didn't mind him that much, he often had good photo's of decoder installs and internals of trains and such, but he sure had some bad moments =)

Don't worry, I agree! I'm using a 6022 and 6035 for train control. The former was offered in sets, can control four locos and four points. The latter is the original Control 80 throttle unit which plugs into the side of it and allows you to access all 80 addresses. None of my locos have functions other than headlights, so the limited nature of the system isn't a problem.

Here's one of my latest finds: An NS (Dutch) 1100 class electric. It's analogue at the moment but will be getting a decoder and some new close couplers to replace the gigantic originals. Snag is, that lot will cost more than I paid for the loco...

IMGP0341.jpg

I just find it terribly sad that Marklin are forgetting where their customers came from. The forumites always talk about nostalgia for a 1950s childhood with Marklin trains on the carpet, but with prices as they are there won't be another generation in the 2050s talking about the same things. Blaming games consoles for the shortage of younger buyers is a cop-out to my mind, Hornby seem to be facing that down pretty well considering that they reliably turn a yearly profit. I can't see an excuse for their prices either - the market for a HO scale German loco can't be smaller than that for an N scale Japanese loco, so why are the prices almost four times as high for a similar specification?

Hum, the above pic and discussion reminds me that my father used to have two or three Marklins loc during the 70's. I wonder if my grand parents still have them...

... Marklin trains on the carpet ...

Ah yes, Marklin on the carpet ... this reminds me when I go to my parents house, I need to dig up my old photo album. I remember there are some photos of me with Marklin on the carpet  :grin