Japanese Music

chadbag

8 hours ago, Cat said:

Currently working on some more models for Wacky Races, will finally be running games again at a convention this weekend.  The Japanese version, Chiki Chiki Mashin Mo Resu, added a great opening theme song!

Natsukashii!!

My favourites were always the Professor Pat Pending and the Ant Hill Mob.

I hope this also leads on to an aerial combat board game version (X-Wingesque) of Stop the Pigeon with 4 planes against the pigeon with plenty of barns and hay bails to foil the planes attempts. 😂

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Kamome said:

Natsukashii!!

My favourites were always the Professor Pat Pending and the Ant Hill Mob.

I hope this also leads on to an aerial combat board game version (X-Wingesque) of Stop the Pigeon with 4 planes against the pigeon with plenty of barns and hay bails to foil the planes attempts. 😂

Air gaming may well happen. First step will be Vulture Squadron pilot(s) appearing above the race as a special event happening.  When the pigeon of omen appears, beware of falling bombs, anvils, and flying machines!

Edited by Cat
  • Like 1

Kyu Sakamoto sang a cover of "Calendar Girl", a Neil Sedaka's song in 1961, all in japanese lyrics. I knew this cover because recently I bought a cd compilation of Kyu Sakamoto, each yen was well spent.

Edited by fpav_2125
  • Like 3

Wow blast from childhood. I remember Sukiyaki from early childhood. I had an old AM transistor radio that I would run under my pillow at bed time with many old 60s underground Bay Area stations playing weird and wonderful stuff.

jeff

Calendar Girl was outstanding.  That led to this suggestion, so I'm grooving out now this morning.
: 3

• Like 1

Oh groan, now you got me listening to this one! When I was a kid in Oakland California in the 60s this music use to play all the time in a favorite import store in Jack London Square (all sorts of fun little bits, sort of a progenitor to pier one, but with more fun and real imports then not seen in the us much). It gave it such a fun atmosphere, use to love hanging out there when I was old enough to ride my bike down there.

thanks i’m earwormed!

jeff

• Like 1

The wacky races and stop the pigeon stuff was amongst my faves as a kid to watch!   I was researching it online just a few weeks ago to try and show my kids.  (Who of course don't care about ancient stuff)

I just got 90 minutes in a head mri today (control group for a nih research study, lab rat day) and after getting out the two interns that were shuffling me around to different locations asked how the experience was as they heard is was really noisy and annoying and I said it was quite fun and just like moog from 60s and 70s mixed with 2001! They looked at me quizzically and I realized they were about 22 so perhaps their parents had not even heard of moog much and neither knew 2001! Trying to explain to them it was music of repeated beeps and oscillators and such and more quizzical looks, finally they sort of grocked early beat box and synthesizer, but I think they both probably had a laugh later about the crazy old guy and wondering why I was in the normal control group.

at least now you all can’t say I should go get my head examined, it’s been done!

jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

at least now you all can’t say I should go get my head examined, it’s been done!

You made me think about Sheldon Cooper, from The Big Bang Theory: “I’m not crazy, my Mother had me tested”

• Haha 2

Yep that’s going to be my response (I get told that on a regular basis). No I’m not I got tested at NIH! I was put n the “normal control” group, was hoping for the Abby normal sub group.

jeff

• Like 1

I'ld love to have a Moog to play with again, there was one in the Music Department in college, so much fun playing live, watching the big clock tick, and making patch changes on cue!

Weirds friends out at times when some strange moog oscillations come on in the car on shuffle.

jeff

• Like 1

The new departure tone at Nakaminato Station is based on this song (the Minato Line hasn't posted a video yet of the tone in action but there are some good riffs to choose from):

• Like 1

This video is a joint live performance between bands Unicorn and Jun Sky Walker(s) playing two cover songs (one from the US).

"ame agari no yozora ni"  (original by rock band RC Succession) and "My Sharona" , The Knack's most famous song.

Edited by fpav_2125
  • Like 2
45 minutes ago, fpav_2125 said:

This video is a joint live performance between bands Unicorn and Jun Sky Walker(s) playing two cover songs (one from the US).

"ame agari no yozora ni"  (original by rock band RC Succession) and "My Sharona" , The Knack's most famous song.

The guy in the red suit and white tie, especially during My Sharona, looked like a Japanese version of Nick Rivers*, to me, for some reason.

(* "Top Secret", Val Kilmer)

I created my own playlist based on Japanese "New Music" (Known in the West as "City Pop"), and other similar songs and music.

When the sun sets, this playlist is basically a law in my daily commute.

• Like 3

I love Japanese music, but while I listen to everything (part of working with the Japanese music labels)....  My favorite go to is Mr.Children, My Little Lover, Moumoon, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Pizzicato Five, Yamashita Tatsuro, B'z, Spitz, Southern All Stars, ZARD, X Japan, Amuro Namie, Moritaka Chisato, Takeuchi Mariya, Yuming, Yamaguchi Momoe, YUI, etc.    [Please note: These are my photos, they have been featured on a variety of publications, but they are mine].  Right now, my favorite group I have been listening to a lot is LE SSERAFIM.

6202156587_7116a01f99_b.thumb.jpg.ddc866173464181bc34eb1c8d54cac90.jpg

39415882484_cb0b0fee40_b.thumb.jpg.5fea995f6f480abec40ab3fee23a44a6.jpg

8200635737_2e5a5a1d9a_b.thumb.jpg.f860c285e9376cda7932367223fba31f.jpg

26880244367_5e28a97c8a_b.thumb.jpg.6f62a92005420e928e2f8cafe3b7310a.jpg

48075132523_3070ae93ff_b.thumb.jpg.c9524b88c8c9c7b924e756feb84708fe.jpg

6212635173_22df2fcf8c_b.thumb.jpg.9b5079580dce30b064262d1a134df32c.jpg

51907823184_1abd75259c_b.thumb.jpg.6c3ee1aab0c0c058c13bee7e62890392.jpg

16051732894_7d740ba0d4_b.thumb.jpg.52c72e8b671113e11768e4b1814e5860.jpg

40127818991_0b0ef8f45a_b.thumb.jpg.acd6c137dfc04003e5ea1ad450af022d.jpg

48050261181_8da8209563_b.thumb.jpg.cb9c1b58533dd55ba93b21f944da8a07.jpg

Edited by kndy
  • Like 5

Recently randomly started wondering how the Kyoto Tachibana SHS band came out of the pandemic.  They're still going strong!

Currently listening to this while getting started on my taxes:

Edited by Cat
  • Like 6
16 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

My they are very good!

The head of the Rose Parade goes to Kyoto to personally invite them to Pasadena!

I believe they are nicknamed "the Orange Devils" by other competing marching bands.

We need Tomytec to make a figure pack for them  — they travel a lot and can appear anywhere.  If the proportion of instruments are good, you can buy as many packs as desired to fill out the ranks.
: 3

Edited by Cat