Japanese Music

chadbag

Yavaris Forge

In case someone wants to listen to some Citypop with Shinkansen visuals. I think it's quite relaxing:

Visuals based on a documentary on the 100 Series from 1989, link in the description.

• Like 3

Just ordered the Trivergents new release.  Though there are no Japanese members in the band - they are all expats living in Tokyo.  Danny runs Bass Japan Direct which is a great source for Japanese bass guitars.

I was on the fence about ordering if for a few seconds but then I realized it has a train on the cover so it has to be good!

image.thumb.png.be82210421f81614b8c7b64f0589f343.png

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

• Like 3

Nice n funkiie! old dude seems to be having the most fun.

Bummer they don’t sell tracks digitally just on digital subscriptions. At least Amazon has it up for the 30 sec previews. I’m slowly getting more stuff just digital, while I love having the CDs most all listening is through digital players and I have a huge stack of boxes and boxes of CDs in the basement. I still like owning the material and getting a solid payout to the artists. Also as I get older it’s nice to just grab the tracks I like the most on some albums as the collection has gotten huge so a long time till I can get back around to things so not worth wasting listening time on the tracks that don’t make me smile anymore.

Is digital music purchasing just not popular yet in japan? Or is it odd licensing things?

cheers,

jeff

3 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Nice n funkiie! old dude seems to be having the most fun.

Bummer they don’t sell tracks digitally just on digital subscriptions. At least Amazon has it up for the 30 sec previews. I’m slowly getting more stuff just digital, while I love having the CDs most all listening is through digital players and I have a huge stack of boxes and boxes of CDs in the basement. I still like owning the material and getting a solid payout to the artists. Also as I get older it’s nice to just grab the tracks I like the most on some albums as the collection has gotten huge so a long time till I can get back around to things so not worth wasting listening time on the tracks that don’t make me smile anymore.

Is digital music purchasing just not popular yet in japan? Or is it odd licensing things?

I don't know about other services, but at least on Apple Music the tracks/albums are available for purchase as digital downloads (not stream and if you no longer subscribe to stream you keep the ones you bought).  The band I posted above I bought on Apple Music a while back.

iTunes is not showing the ability to purchase the choppers only stream with subscription like amazon. I don’t think Apple limits you to purchasing something wonky while subscribed. That’s a nasty way to force subscription to streaming.

jeff

1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

iTunes is not showing the ability to purchase the choppers only stream with subscription like amazon. I don’t think Apple limits you to purchasing something wonky while subscribed. That’s a nasty way to force subscription to streaming.

jeff

I'll try and log in as a different user and check it as I have been able to buy stuff even though I susbscribe.  I'll report back.

1 hour ago, cteno4 said:

jeff

Yeah for some reason this particular album is not available to purchase. I tried both Apple Music (iTunes Store) and Amazon.   I purchased it through iTunes about 4 1/2 years ago -- I found it in my purchase history.  Kind of strange it is no longer available to purchase.   I logged into the Apple Music / iTunes Store under a different ID than my normal one (where I already have it) and could not make it come up under iTunes.  Then I tried Amazon. Same result.

Too bad as it is pretty good -- especially for Bass fans.

It was also weird tonight I was looking at a bunch of other jazz discs on amazon and most every time I clicked on the mp3 option when available it came up with an error! Odd coincidence!

funny thing is many times the cd is less than the mp3. I don’t get it, but the marketing execs I’m sure have a master plan…

jeff

Well everyone has a different preference for format.  I like CDs and will purchase them but will also purchase mp3s if that is the only option.  (In fact my relatively new Toyota doesn't have a CD player which in one disappointing thing about it.)

My favorite comment on CDs vs. mp3 comes from saxophonist Ernie Watts during an appearance at Duke.  He was offering CDs for sale and he described the process of self producing and selling his CDs.  Then he explained why he likes to have CDs for sale at his concerts:  "You just can't autograph an app."

Ciao,

Tony Galiani

Edited by Tony Galiani
spelling error
  • Haha 1

Lol! Actually for the smaller venue players selling CDs and stuff is now a big part of the money. I do love to have the cd to pay, but like you said that’s now  pretty much just the home stereo and usually not where I’m listening to music much anymore. I like the MP3 purchase where it will cost a lot to ship a cd and/or the import will be pricy. Also some I just like a few tracks and just want those.

soon there will be block chain signed mp3 non fungible tokens! Or he could just sign on their iPhone with a sharpie!

jeff

Martijn Meerts

I went back to vinyl for physical stuff several years ago. Takes up a lot more space, but it just has something. And the modern vinyl is much better quality than the original stuff.

I do still have several hundred CDs, which I listen to when I'm at home. For on the road it's mainly Spotify.

I tried to stay CD (and rip them myself) but eventually I gave up.  I subscribe to a streaming service since my kids want it but I still try and buy the albums/tracks I like.  Streaming is nice for the one offs and stuff you only listen to once.  If I can find it on CD I'll get that and rip it myself. 

I've ripped my many hundred CD collection twice:  once into Ogg Vorbis format a long time ago and again to the AAC format...

Martijn Meerts

I started ripping my CD's to FLAC a long time ago, but never finished it. It was easier to just use Spotify when I'm on the go, and just play the CD's when I'm home. I have a good CD player, so it doesn't make much sense ripping it all. I did throw away all of the jewel cases though, so they take up a lot less space now.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Ha playing dc. May have to hint about that, looks like it could be an interesting event.

https://www.livenationentertainment.com/2022/02/band-maid-announces-their-2022-u-s-tour/

jeff

It'll be awesome.Make sure you get a Ticket as soon as they are on sale. They sold out in a matter of hours last time, and the tickets that were left went up to $150 instead of $30.

• Like 1

I've been following the saga of ticket purchases so far (Fan Club has early dibs I guess) for venues around the US on a FB group dedicated to Band Maid.  It is interesting to say the least.  If they were in my area I'd go, but the closest is probably Phoenix, which is a day's drive.  I don't have the time to do that right now.   But some people on FB have gotten tickets for multiple venues and are making a "concert tour" of their own out of this.  One guy is even going from Northern Canada down to a few of the concerts.

I've been following Band Maid off and on since I first saw "Thrill" on YT:  

• Like 2

I am part of the Fan Club, so I could by my Tickets in advance. It would be cool to see them at different venues, but work calls, so I don't have time. Dallas is only 8 hours from New Orleans, so I'll drive there. I would fly, but as crazy it is at the moment with passengers go all psycho and delaying flights, I'll rather drive.

• Like 1

Currently working on some more models for Wacky Races, will finally be running games again at a convention this weekend.  The Japanese version, Chiki Chiki Mashin Mo Resu, added a great opening theme song!

• Like 1