Japanese Music

chadbag

So, who listens to what?  And what can you recommend?

I have long liked "Bonnie Pink" and "Megumi Hayashibara"

Lately I have been listening to (watching on YouTube): Gacharic Spin / Doll$Boxx, Band-Maid, and Baby Metal (a little).  And when watching on YouTube, you get chained into all sorts of other interesting stuff that I never stopped to look at the name of.

What can you recommend?

I'm listening to quite a bit Japanese music. That's mostly heavily influenced by the anime I watch.

Just as with Western music, I listen to all kinds of Japanese music. There has been a time where J-core was dominating all other genres I listened to, but that has evened out.

I basically always listen to music whenever I can. When I'm sitting on the desk to work on train models I especially like listening to soundtracks. Helps me concentrate and not lose patience.

Here are some things I like:

supercell - Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari

This is probably my favourite Japanese song.

Yuki Kajiura & Kalafina

Yuki Kajiura has composed quite a few anime soundtracks. The "The Garden of Sinners" OST is the most outstanding for me. Kalafina provides the vocals for Kajiura's compositions.

TENMON - END THEME

TENMON is my favourite Japanese composer. I'm always amazed by the things he does with the use of relatively few instruments, such as this piano solo from the "5 Centimeters per Second" OST.

DJ-Technetium - tc-ma_011

For old times' sake, have some J-Core.

• Like 1

Cool, thanks.   I'll check it out!

A lot of my early Japanese music was related to anime and the like.  Later that branched out to non-anime music, most of which came originally through various YouTube chaining from something I was watching.

I go through phases on listening a lot and not.  When working, or doing hobbies, or whatever...

I also started with anime theme songs, but that now I'm all over. 

Bish is my favorite right now.

Mondo Grossohas a view cool songs also.

And than there is World Order of course.

Parfume. Nocci is my favorite lady!!

I just discoverd this band last week. Drops

If you like metal., than there is Maximum the Hormone. They made the Title song to Death Note. They make a mix between Metal and Punk Rock.

Asian Kung Fu Generation is one of my Favorites.

A Famous Rap band is. Ryp Slime. They made the title song for the Anime Gantz.

If you like Jazz, than I would suggest this band. I love their music.

I have been listening to them for a couple of years also. Its a Pop/Jazz mix. Very cool!! Gesu No Kiwami Otome

One last band.Very surprising. 

I have a bunch more if you are interested. We could make this a tread! I am always looking for new and old bands.

• Like 3

Ah yes, Japanese metal.

I quite like Power Metal band "Galneryus"

"Fear, and Loathing in Las Vegas" for some Electrocore :toothy12:

• Thanks 1

I'm a fan of almost anything Tetsuya Komuro has produced; especially his personal hits. They carry a special sign on them, so even if you don't know who made the song, you can immediately hear that Komuro sound. Here is a medley of his early hits:

And his last production:

And I really mean his last hit because a few weeks after this struck number one in sales hits he emotionally announced his retirement due to impending deafness on the left ear. Thus the legacy of maybe the most influential figures of late 80s and 90s Japanese pop culture has come to an end.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Kabutoni said:

I'm a fan of almost anything Tetsuya Komuro has produced; especially his personal hits.

Ah, yes. I know plenty of artists that have been influenced by Tetsuya Komuro. Namie Amuro worked with him as well.

8 hours ago, Densha said:

Ah, yes. I know plenty of artists that have been influenced by Tetsuya Komuro. Namie Amuro worked with him as well.

Yeah, during that time, almost anything that was touched by Komuro was turned into gold. Amuro was already having some success, but with her signing a contract at AVEX and her teaming up with Komuro, she exploded into stardom which until September this year she'll maintain, as she also has announced her retirement.

In other news, Nagaku Mijikai Matsuri by Shiina Ringo is just too good.

Tofubeats also does some great stuff.

• Thanks 1

My first song which I heard from Japan was Invoke by T.M. Evolution. After that I started the search for rock music. To this day, I still hear X-Japan, Mucc, Maximum the Hormone and a few individual songs from other artists. Also new are The Oral Cigarettes... Today I do not hear as much Japanese music as I did 10 years ago.

• Thanks 1

I'm a huge fan of J-pop... from back years that is... 

U know, like Speed (my fav from my days of schooling till now...), Ayumi Hamasaki, Hikari Utada, Southern All Stars, Da Pump, Ken Hirai etc... real oldies in this era... 

I also listen to Game music, and anime music... like Gundams, super robt wars etc... being quite a fan of mecha, these music suit my ears... 

Then there's of course Tetsudo music... haha like music uses for rails... like Odakyu's theme song, Galaxy 9999 etc. U get the idea...

Call me an oldie and a strange freak when it comes to music...

• Like 1

Here is one from Band Maid. They used the named Band Maiko as a April fools joke. I think this is their best song so far!! And Saiki Atsumis Guitar play is just awesome!!

Edited by Sascha
  • Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Dir en Grey, Wagakki Band, Maaya Sakamoto, RADWIMPS, Angela, Yae, various soundtracks by mostly Yoko Kanno, Joe Hisaishi, Yuki Kajiura, Kenji Kawai, bunch of game soundtracks as well (Final Fantasy, Nier Automata, Nioh)...

All sorts of stuf really :)

• Like 2
grumbeast

I’ve only explored Japanese music a bit, but I like Ai Otsuka and I’ve tried to search for Music from the 60s and 70s which is a challenge.  This is older but I do like the Lullaby of Takeda

https://youtu.be/B27yQMuTHWc

On 5/2/2018 at 11:18 AM, grumbeast said:

I’ve only explored Japanese music a bit, but I like Ai Otsuka and I’ve tried to search for Music from the 60s and 70s which is a challenge.  This is older but I do like the Lullaby of Takeda

https://youtu.be/B27yQMuTHWc

I like this one. Haven't been listening to old Japanese music!!