Sorry, but this Sunday there are no trains...

bikkuri bahn

Darren Jeffries

I heard about this on the radio this morning on the way to work. This happens quite a lot, usually over pay, and usually the London Underground. It seems to be happening more and more, in this bad economy.

It is not restricted to train services though, strikes have hit the postal service, bus service and British Airways.

All this seems quite normal to me poor french guy. Strikes are quite common in my part of the world and i don't find them necessarily stupid or devoided of purpose. I might say, I'm not schock at all.

After reading stuff like this, I am even more thankful for the railway system here in Japan:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/8240232.stm

Try the LIRR! What bothers me most about the train I take is that if there is a delay or something goes wrong, the LIRR won't tell you what happened. Only once did I have a conductor explain to us that the head car had smoke coming out from underneath and they had to take it off the train. (The car was actually on fire) Because he explained everything to us, there was no panic and everyone understood there would be a delay. In my 30 years of commuting this was the only time a conductor fully explained what was happening. He was a great conductor.