Tsubojiri (sort of) - Japanese micro 'N' gauge

Kiha40

Here goes - after far to many false starts, hiccoughs and splutters - I'm well on with a micro (sort of) Japanese layout. Japan is a bit of an obsession and it only seems right to pick a quirky subject.

Tsubojiri is a unique station (in Japan) in that it's on a 1:25 rising grade, meaning that stopping trains in both directions have to reverse to reach the platforms, through trains ignoring the stop.

The layout is 1600mm x 600mm with some very tight curvature to at least elude to the prototypical sweeping curves. There's had to be a lot of tweaking and condensing to get things to fit, so it's far from true to the real thing, more of a hint, but the gradients and levels are all there!

One half will be fully detailed, behind the full length back scene will be a passing loop and sidings for rolling stock.

I'm about 10 weeks in so far - most understory landscaping is done, station buildings and trees next - it's not prototypically correct, more the essence of.

IMG_9729.jpg

IMG_9730.jpg

IMG_9726.jpg

Edited by Kiha40
  • Like 11

Your layout is slightly smaller than my banquet table size hobby tables at 1524 x 762.  Still there much you can do on a layout this size. Good effort. The essence of a place is often better because we rarely completely duplicate.

Edited by bill937ca

The scenery looks great! Imho 1600x600 mm is anything but micro in N. It's around what many would consider a medium table. (120x60 cm being the usual size in Europe and 4x2 feet in the US)

Any links on N Scale signalling sources would be greatly appreciated I'm struggling to find any manufacturers with anything suitable (obviously Kato and Tomix, but I don't want to waste parts ideally).

Giles

What kind of signals do you plan to use? Tomix has manual form signals, while both Tomix and Kato has automatic (timer faked) light signals. You can take Tomix signal heads and rewire them for manual control.

50 minutes ago, Kiha40 said:

Any links on N Scale signalling sources would be greatly appreciated I'm struggling to find any manufacturers with anything suitable (obviously Kato and Tomix, but I don't want to waste parts ideally).

Giles

Get some Greenmax signals and put SMD leds into them.
Then you could for example control them via switches or a Raspberry Pi.

You should be able to find some on ebay.

• Like 1

One of our club members was working in an arduino or a pi (sorry can’t remeber which he was using for this project) to do some of the circular signals with leds. I can see what his progress is and he would probably be willing to share his code.

jeff

On 02/04/2018 at 2:26 PM, disturbman said:

I would be curious to see a trackplan :)

Here's a plan, essentially a simple loop.

Scenic side has the station which is level from the rising gradient stopping trains have to enter / reverse vice versa using the headshunt

Behind the scenes a passing loop and two sets of sidings - these aren't in installed yet as my rolling stock is still very small!

Giles

IMG_9731.jpg

• Like 9