Go Karts on the Streets of Tokyo / Osaka and more

I did not do this (yet), but when we were walking around in Tokyo we ran into these people driving go karts, Mario Cart style, through the streets.   Later in Osaka we saw them as well.   The company we saw was Mari Car (https://www.maricar.com) and they run concessions in and around Tokyo and Osaka and a few other places.  I don't know if there are other companies that do the same thing.  It looked really fun.   I will do this next time I am there!

You can also rent costumes if you want.

large.MaonXUKmQ0i7D5clOje1TQ.jpg.87cb6076774cada43f644cb8714cf597.jpg5ab4018dc8009_large.LPaNVjVpS2oRNNk3PeOdw.jpg.012a954899fd81120fc75149344c676f.jpg

Been pretty popular with tourists. Locals dont like it as many acidents have been happening.  Worse was a cyclist hit. And the cart driver just drove away.

Just now, katoftw said:

Been pretty popular with tourists. Locals dont like it as many acidents have been happening.  Worse was a cyclist hit. And the cart driver just drove away.

You'd think that the company leader (they follow a guy from the providing company) would be responsible for reacting to any accident.

Interesting.

5 minutes ago, katoftw said:

The leader is at the front. So he may not have seen it. And the tourist kept quiet in panic.

Could be.  But if it was an actual crash with a bicyclist I'd be hard pressed to see how no one else would know.  Not doubting the story, just wondering how something like hitting a bicyclist would go unnoticed.

Still looks fun. 

There are a couple concessions in the Tokyo area and one in Osaka and a few other places.  We saw them in the Tokyo area a couple times and were walking from Den Den town in Osaka to the tallest building there, about a mile walk, when we saw a bunch there.

I’ve seen these guys in Akihabara a lot in the evenings right by the dip under the station, and yeah- definitely seems to be an international tourist focused thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, defor said:

I’ve seen these guys in Akihabara a lot in the evenings right by the dip under the station, and yeah- definitely seems to be an international tourist focused thing.

They store the carts under the railway viaduct a block or two north of there.

When two annoyances meet

Personally, I was never a fan of these go kart tours. I'm the type that rather rents a Nissan Skyline and drives around Gunma and Kanagawa.

Edited by Suica

That must be an international thing. We also have them (the tourist carts and the nationalists) here in Budapest. The carts are annoying and tend to get into pedestrian areas, while this form of political conversation is like online arguing done offline. Everybody is in write (speak) only mode...

We only have Segway, Trabant and little hot rod tours AND beer bikes. The latter being probably the worst thing anyone ever put on public roads.

Edited by Suica