Euro Tomytec / Unitram Layout

bill937ca

Working on the back of the layout, adding block bases of balsa, topped with .030 sheet styrene. Sidewalks are Smalltown USA (HO sclae) and cut in half.  Here is what if looks like It show how I use Unitram without the inflexible street plates.

1. Unitram without the plate.

2. Block plate with edge trimming.

3. Underside of the block base.  It just drops into place.

IMG_6515  1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_6514 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_6516  1024 x768.jpg

I was just looking at something I did with Unitram that may be of interest.  I had to shave back my sidewalk at a corner.  What is interesting is how I unintentionally matched the gray of Unitram pavement sections.  The pavement on the left is Unitram gray. The pavement on the right is .020 styrene painted with a 50-50 mix of craft paint. I used Apple Barrel Granite Gray and Delta Ceramcoat Charcoal.  But I think any light gray and charcoal or black would work. I mixed them in a cheap aluminum foil muffin cup.  As I paint these by hand, I usually do two coats to cover up any spots I missed. It usually comes out pretty even.

IMG_6633  1024  x 768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 2

Hi everyone.  Just joined the forum.  Got recommended here from the Kato Unitram Facebook group.  I was going to do a write-up and include some photos but wound up reading this forum.  I'm very interested in bill937ca's new table.  Exactly what is it?  I'm in the US if that makes any difference.

Also these track plans many of you are using here?  what were they drawn with?  I definitely need something like that to work on my track plans.

Mean time the 2 V60 UNitram sets I bought arrived as did the 2 power packs 22-014us.  Also came today is my Tomytec 1907 and power unit for it. 

Main reason for coming here is looking to find out about DCC control and if decoders can be installed in these tiny trams.

Anyway nice to meet everyone.

Allen

The new table is two garage storage units from Walmart. It allows me to have the tracks on top and drop the cables down to the middle shelf.

The track plans are mine drawn with the free version of Anyrail.

Hello Bill

Question.  When you insulate a track section for a tram stop, do you insulate both rails just one?

Thanks 

Allen

1 hour ago, AllenZ said:

Question.  When you insulate a track section for a tram stop, do you insulate both rails just one?

Both rails just to be safe.

oh okay thanks.  I sort o copied your layout idea for my layout but the scenery is different.  I like it because I don't have to worry about power shorts between inner and outer loops.  Hope you don't mind, but then I believe you modeled yours after a German layout?  ha ha

Happy New Year.

Allen

No worries. Yes it was the  German tram layout. What I liked was all the action that could be controlled by a few switches.

Edited by bill937ca

Latest project for my N gauge tram layout. A Tatra N scale body from Shapeways. I plan to use one of my Tomytec drives under this car. I f I go to a two car train I will investigate using the Tomix 98006 Hakone Tozan chassis.

The printing is very crisp with very good detail. Certainly much better than previous Shapeways efforts.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/UBVZ4HRJL/tatra-t3-n?optionId=58503237

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/minitrains?section=N+scale+Trams&s=0

IMG_7054 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_7055 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_7056 1024  x 768.jpg

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Nice bill. Did you go smooth or smoothest?

jeff

Smooth. Smoothest was another $7 which on a $20 base is a lot. I'm very happy.

Edited by bill937ca

Today is a day of fun jobs.  

A job put over from yesterday was tracing all the wiring and coming up with a diagram instead of just having a spaghetti bowl of Unitram plug and play wiwing. I had to unplug a few wires when I moved the benchwork around and after the inventory everything is plugged in , on the outer loop at least.

My test car is a Kato 4964 12-50 Kumoha. It has headlights and tail lights so it is easy to see if it is drawing power and its does a R150 radius. Did a test run and did find one dead spot.  I will look at that tonight or tomorrow. Looks like another feeder needed and a slight repositiioning of the main stop

Finished cutting the balsa for the new center block today. It will be about 29 inches x 14 1/2 inches with a main tram stop, a double row of buildings and a sort of linear square on the other side of the block with benches, trees, diagonal parked vehicles between the tram tracks  and the set back buildings on that side.

Photos

1. Showing a scenery block pulled out so I can access under track wiring to maintain polarity when I made changes to the layout.

2. New center block balsa base. Individual pieces are cut, but not glued together or painted the neutral gray.

3 Wiring under the table for the outer loop only. Three three-way switches, three power feed control switches, one DC extension cord and two turnout control switches.

IMG_7057  1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_7059 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_7060 1024 x 768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

A little more work on the center section. I've added the first trees, benches and an advertising column to the linear square.  It sits parallel with the back tram track and helps fill up the basic Unitram block without having a large empty space in the center. More trees are on order from Hobby Search and more buildings shipped this week from Europe. An overall view of the section  is included.

IMG_7078  1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_7081 1024 x 768.jpg

IMG_7085 1024 x7 68.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

From another angle. Oops my balsa base is showing.  🙂  My objective of adding scenic variety over the standard Kato Unitram layout has worked.

IMG_7093 cropped 1024 x 768.jpg

• Like 4

Now that most of my outstanding projects on Kamakura (train layout) are completed I will do some work on the tram layout.  I waiting for a couple of Tomytec 

Hankai tramway trams and I will get back to work.

I have added an Osborns Models (UK) laser printed Police van.  Osborns has a line of small vehicles available.

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/arch-laser-n-scale-vehicles--figures-1209-c.asp

It is painted basic black with POLICE lettering. It lacks any windows and it is mainly a shell.  There are no axles and the wheels are static. It is kind of a work in progress. But still it is worth a photo and can make for an interesting scene.

IMG_7414 1024 x 768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 2

When I originally built the Euro tram layout I used Smalltown USA HO scale sidewalks cut in half for most of my sidewalks. The sidewalks at Cetrralplatz created overhang issues with the low hanging center exit door of my Bachmann Peter Witts. When I rebuilt the central module in March, I used thinner .020 styrene sheets for the sidewalks and resolved this issue.  The styrene is certainly much easier to cut and shape than the thick Smalltown USA sidewalks. But I still use the Smalltown USA sidewalks on blocks without any curved corners. The photo shows there is now sufficient clearance for my Bachmann Peter Witts (and Modemo Tokyu 300 articulated trams) to turn.

IMG_7426 1024 x768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 2

The Bachmann Peter Witt streetcars are great-running trolleys. They are the only Bachmann trolleys I recommend to anyone.

Rich K.

• Like 2

I ve got two on my layout,had to have the Dcc function disconnected as they kept stopping,now they run superb as dc.

• Like 2

Yesterday and today I have downsized the Euro Unitram layout.It is now 2' x 3'. The original operating plan with power on-power off blocks never worked because there wasn't enough room in the living room with the other necessary furniture. The layout got cut in half when I decided I needed the easy chair that was sitting across from my Japanese train layout in the sitting area by the window to help with my bad knee.

All trees, buildings and vehicles were removed before the move. I managed to cut down the balsa block bases without having to buy new material.The buildings are back in place.  I need to re install some sidewalks, patch some styrene surface pieces and do some touch up painting. I still need to rebuild the scenes like the linear square, re-instal trees and benches.

The inner loop works. I haven't tested the outer loop but if the inner loop works the outer loop should work. But one turnout is unplugged so I will have lift up much of the layout to correct this.

Layout controls are now right beside the easy chair I moved and across from my lazy boy.

IMG_7494 1024 x 768.jpg

• Like 2

A scene I wanted to build for a long time was a Tomytec Munich tram in front of an old Pola 337 corner inn.  This is based on photos I have seen of Munich trams in front of the Schelling-Salon, a historic Viennese style cafe in Munich. Sorry for the poor photo. There often is too much light in my condo.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Tram_27_Richtung_Schwanseestr._in_München.JPG

IMG_7496 1024 x768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3