Trying T-Trak

inobu

Not sure why but I keep going back to trying this. The funny thing is I have everything lying around and its good as well. 7 Ply plywood, t-nuts, foam. I even mocked it up in CAD and now I just have to

to cut the wood. I guess I'll just run with it and see what's up. 

These are the pieces as the 7 ply plywood is 9mm thick and I will miter the ends and the gussets/feet support should hold it together fairly good. I think the miters might be worth the time. 

We'll see.

yeah, I can rip the wood down and get a couple of doubles.

Inobu

Edited by inobu
  • Like 4

Finally got around to cutting the wood. Now I have to drill the holes for the Tee nuts and cut the foam inserts.

I messed up on the doubles I cut it to 24" so I have to use it for a junction or something. I think I will switch over to mm.

Inobu

Edited by inobu
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Can you explain the foam inserts?

Instead of placing a solid top I'm using 2" foam inserts. That way I can introduce subtle terrain elevations easy. Its ditches and divots that being out the scenes.

Inobu 

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, inobu said:

Finally got around to cutting the wood. Now I have to drill the holes for the Tee nuts and cut the foam inserts.

I messed up on the doubles I cut it to 24" so I have to use it for a junction or something. I think I will switch over to mm.

medium.IMG_2484.JPG.cfd6952f37f34082c3db

Inobu

Nice work! I need to upgrade my router table to do more slots. My cheapo one was fine for the odd time I need to do rabits and dados but is a pain to get set up with precision and to have a router useful it usually needs precision... also some meat on the table and parts helps a lot.

Im always groaning at this when doing modules based on unitrak. So close and tempting at times to just go English, but usually ends up in 32nds measurements that are just a pain to consistently get right and metric is so much easier keep inter mesutements straight and 1 mm tolerance is about the area of doing woodworking with out being ultra careful that so it meshes well. 32nds make my brain hurt. I’m just not use to using mm in the shop!

cheers

jeff

I actually used english units for my modules, the track sticks out a small amount but it was much easier to use off the shelf wood than trying to cut the exact dimensions using my limited tools.

Speaking of pathetic.........

So after the bridge build, I have the mock up bridge. I started thinking how can I use it. Then I pause......oh T Trak.......

pause again and thinking.....Looked around and saw 4 pieces ....pause again......looked around some more and find a box of T Trak modules pieces......

Then look at this post from 2 years ago..........

Sad.......

Inobu

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I know that feeling, I have a few abandoned project threads on here myself...  I should try to find the pieces and finish at least a few of them.

• Like 1

No inobu, not pathetic, you’re just a busy boy with lots of projects! Many of us do this (embarrassed smirk here). Enjoy the hobby and don’t worry about this!

jeff

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Welcome to the "lots-of-ideas-no-time-to-do-them-all-but-still-going-to-try" club 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
16 hours ago, Martijn Meerts said:

Welcome to the "lots-of-ideas-no-time-to-do-them-all-but-still-going-to-try" club

Uh oh inobu just joined another club, one more thing in the list!   😜

jeff

On 5/28/2020 at 1:21 AM, Martijn Meerts said:

Welcome to the "lots-of-ideas-no-time-to-do-them-all-but-still-going-to-try" club 😄

12 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Uh oh inobu just joined another club, one more thing in the list!   😜

jeff

I could be Vice-President of Procrastination of that club!

Edited by tossedman
  • Haha 2