Making sense of TaKis

gavino200

I have a set of 8 Kato TaKis, plus 3 Tomix takis (one has the tail lights). All are in the Green/grey coloring. I've never researched them. I just assumed they transport oil. But we want to make the train longer, and my son want to add different color Takis. So I figured I'd find out what the colors meant. I'm finding that it's a fairly complex system. 

So far I gather that there's a system of designated tank cars for different substances. The color signifies what can be carried and at what speed. The cars can be owned by the railway or they can be privately owned, in which case they have a small company logo on the side. 

I'm trying to find the range of TaKis available. For the time being I'm concentrating on current TaKis and ignoring retired TaKis. 

As always Sumida Crossing has something to offer.

http://www.sumidacrossing.org/Prototype/JRFreight/FreightCars/

However it's not clear to me whether the TaKi 43000 is still around, or whether all have been replaced by the TaKi 1000.

It's also, not clear how many colors of TaKi 1000 there are and what they all mean.

Edited by gavino200
scotspensioner

Basedon you tube film's TaKi 43000 are still around.Ive seen them in a recent film shot at Minari Matsumoto

The TaKi 1000 with Eneos markings are allocated to traffic for the Ineos company which not only operates in Japan but here in Scotland where they own the pipeline from the North Sea Forties oilfield and Grangemouth oil refinery.

They may also operate in the USA

Edited by scotspensioner
Additional details
  • Thanks 1
Das Steinkopf

I found a really good database for Taki 1000 which I listed under another thread in the forums, it has a fairly comprehensive listing with photos of all 968 Taki 1000's, of note 48 of the Japan Oil Transportation cars are allocated to the exclusive transport of JP8 Jet Fuel to the US Airbase in Yokata. 

http://f-kawasaki.sakura.ne.jp/car/taki01000/

With the Taki 43000's I still have to try and source some decent information about them, they are however in diminishing numbers as they started to scrap them from 2008, out of the original 819 cars built I am not sure how many are left. One of the main reasons for their demise as well as old age is the Taki 43000's are fitted with older style TR210 and TR214A bogies which limit them to a maximum speed 75km/h as opposed to the Taki 1000's which are fitted FT21 bogies that enable them to travel at 95km/h,. With the emphasis on maintaining tight timetables for the volume of services that tend to run on the main lines having slow moving freight trains blocking up the flow of traffic is unacceptable, you just have to look at the changes that have been made to the Koki fleets to see what has happened there in relation to older style wagons.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

I found a really good database for Taki 1000 which I listed under another thread in the forums, it has a fairly comprehensive listing with photos of all 968 Taki 1000's, of note 48 of the Japan Oil Transportation cars are allocated to the exclusive transport of JP8 Jet Fuel to the US Airbase in Yokata. 

http://f-kawasaki.sakura.ne.jp/car/taki01000/

With the Taki 43000's I still have to try and source some decent information about them, they are however in diminishing numbers as they started to scrap them from 2008, out of the original 819 cars built I am not sure how many are left. One of the main reasons for their demise as well as old age is the Taki 43000's are fitted with older style TR210 and TR214A bogies which limit them to a maximum speed 75km/h as opposed to the Taki 1000's which are fitted FT21 bogies that enable them to travel at 95km/h,. With the emphasis on maintaining tight timetables for the volume of services that tend to run on the main lines having slow moving freight trains blocking up the flow of traffic is unacceptable, you just have to look at the changes that have been made to the Koki fleets to see what has happened there in relation to older style wagons.

I'm guessing 'Japan Oil Terminal' TaKis take the oil from the ships to the refineries, while the 'Japan Oil Transportation' TaKis take the refined products from the refineries and distribute them all over Japan.

So the Terminal and Transportation TaKis wouldn't ever be in the same consist?

Also, would TaKi 1000s and TaKi 43000, ever be consisted together?

I'm not opposed to 'breaking the rules' for the sake of a pretty looking train. But I'd prefer to be a bit prototypical if possible.

scotspensioner

The you tube programme I referred to was shot at the freight terminal near Matsumoto.Its code is :- https.//YouTu.be/UbdcDdUpZyw - hope this is of use.

I've had another look at the programme (Alex's Kato Trains 2017 - programme 5)and there is a transfer move which has HD300/10 leading it.

The first four wagons are 1) Green TaKi 1000- unidentified 2)blue TaKi 43000 - unidentified 3) blueTaKi 43000 no. 43136 4) Blue TaKi 1000 no. 1000-704. The rest of the train is a mixture of the two types all in blue livery

The wagons subsequently depart behind EH200-9 with a TaKi 43000 next to the locomotive

Edited by scotspensioner
Additional details
  • Thanks 1
scotspensioner

Later post.Omiya is well featured on YouTube and a fair number of oil trains are featured.Alexs Kato Trains 2018 film 21 shows EF210 -171 heading a long train of mixed tank wagons in terms of colours but mostly TaKi 43000 including 43001 which is nicely picked out as it passes

Edited by scotspensioner
Number detail
  • Like 1
scotspensioner

I'll finish of with this one 3/1/2018 and EH500-15 and a very mixed rake of mainly TaKi 43000 but a few TaKi 1000 mixed in stops for a crew change at Kuroiso The amusing bit is it comes in with one man in the cab and leaves with SIX on board!!

Ref Alex's Kato Trains 2018 film 29

Hope these have answered your questions

Best Wishes

Edited by scotspensioner
11 minutes ago, scotspensioner said:

I'll finish of with this one 3/1/2018 and EH500-15 and a very mixed rake of mainly TaKi 43000 but a few TaKi 1000 mixed in stops for a crew change at an unidentified location.The amusing bit is it comes in with one man in the cab and leaves with SIX on board!!

Ref Alex's Kato Trains 2018 film 29

Hope these have answered your questions

Best Wishes

Yes, these have answered my questions. Thank you so much. I enjoyed watching the videos too. Especially the Matsumoto video. We took the Azusa to Matsumoto last year, so it brought back some memories. We saw just about every train in the video.

I just ordered a bunch of TaKis and some nice casco cases for them :)

• Thanks 1
Das Steinkopf

As pointed out by scotspensioner you will get to see a bit of a mix in liveries at times whilst other times it can be a solid block of one companies livery. For a bit of variety you can also have a mixed freight train that has a short rake of Koki's attached to a short rake of Taki's, you have can the Taki's attached at the lead or the rear, one general rule is that they are not all mingled in but as a unit. Here is one of my favourite shots of an EH200 running a mixed consist of about half a dozen Taki's and half a dozen Koki's down the Chuo Honsen.

http://myxbxsidexlife.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-1177.html

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Das Steinkopf said:

As pointed out by scotspensioner you will get to see a bit of a mix in liveries at times whilst other times it can be a solid block of one companies livery. For a bit of variety you can also have a mixed freight train that has a short rake of Koki's attached to a short rake of Taki's, you have can the Taki's attached at the lead or the rear, one general rule is that they are not all mingled in but as a unit. Here is one of my favourite shots of an EH200 running a mixed consist of about half a dozen Taki's and half a dozen Koki's down the Chuo Honsen. http://blog-imgs-52-origin.fc2.com/m/y/x/myxbxsidexlife/IMG_2423_1.jpg

Link shows:

This page cannot be shown.

You will be redirected to the top page after 30 seconds.

Edited by chadbag
Das Steinkopf
7 hours ago, chadbag said:

Link shows:

This page cannot be shown.

You will be redirected to the top page after 30 seconds.

Weird, the link works on an iPad but not on an iPhone, it must be a software issue, anyway here is a screenshot for people to view it.

http://myxbxsidexlife.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-1177.html

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, Das Steinkopf said:

As pointed out by scotspensioner you will get to see a bit of a mix in liveries at times whilst other times it can be a solid block of one companies livery. For a bit of variety you can also have a mixed freight train that has a short rake of Koki's attached to a short rake of Taki's, you have can the Taki's attached at the lead or the rear, one general rule is that they are not all mingled in but as a unit. Here is one of my favourite shots of an EH200 running a mixed consist of about half a dozen Taki's and half a dozen Koki's down the Chuo Honsen. http://blog-imgs-52-origin.fc2.com/m/y/x/myxbxsidexlife/IMG_2423_1.jpg

Now here is an image you don't see that often...

Cheers NB

7 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

Weird, the link works on an iPad but not on an iPhone, it must be a software issue, anyway here is a screenshot for people to view it.

You need to link to the blog page with the picture, linking to the image directly doesn't work with that site as they check the referer.

Edited by cteno4
scotspensioner

I've got to admit I've never been to Japan so my ideas are largely based on YouTube!  I'm glad Gavino liked the first sequence.If I ever got to Japan I probably would want to visit Matsumoto and Omiya but I don't see it happening for a number of reasons.

Incidentally ive recently seen a sequence of DF200-216 working a tanks train which I believe was up till recently worked by a pair of DD51s.

Finally can I add that I think an EH200 and a string of Eneos TaKi 1000s is the best looking Oil train I've ever seen!

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf
2 hours ago, scotspensioner said:

I've got to admit I've never been to Japan so my ideas are largely based on YouTube!  I'm glad Gavino liked the first sequence.If I ever got to Japan I probably would want to visit Matsumoto and Omiya but I don't see it happening for a number of reasons.

Matsumoto is certainly worth going to especially to see the castle there, we went there in 2015 on our first trip to Japan and the Black Castle was certainly one of the highlights of the trip, if you do get the chance to go there I would suggest going to Nagano for a few days as there are a number of things you could do in the area and Matsumoto is close by.

2 hours ago, scotspensioner said:

Incidentally ive recently seen a sequence of DF200-216 working a tanks train which I believe was up till recently worked by a pair of DD51s.

Finally can I add that I think an EH200 and a string of Eneos TaKi 1000s is the best looking Oil train I've ever seen!

The DD51's are rated at 2200hp whilst the DF200's are rated at around 3400hp, basically one DF200 is suffice to haul the average rake of Taki's. 

I have to agree with you about the EH200's looking great with a rake of JOT Taki's in tow, mind you the double headed EF64-1000's are quite a sight as well, especially when you have a mix of liveries.

32 minutes ago, Das Steinkopf said:

Matsumoto is certainly worth going to especially to see the castle there, we went there in 2015 on our first trip to Japan and the Black Castle was certainly one of the highlights of the trip, if you do get the chance to go there I would suggest going to Nagano for a few days as there are a number of things you could do in the area and Matsumoto is close by.

The line from Matsumoto to Nagano is a nice trip and you get to go through the incomparably named Obasute Station *cf. Ubasute).

• Like 3
scotspensioner

I've been looking at the area on a number of railway and non railway videos.Obasute station layout has me fascinated and watching an EH200 backing an oil tank train into the station to let a 383 past on an express is almost priceless and of course there's the view from the platform.

I thought about going Japanese some years before actually taking the plunge- I wish now I'd done it then.

Incidentally I did check up on the meaning of Ubasute - I'm liable to get that treatment myself in terms of age!

It's been a real eye opener to me because I knew virtually nothing about Japan in common with most people hereabouts and when I show them what I've discovered they are astonished ( Thanks ,Joanna Lumley for doing a 3 part TV series which scratched the surface and which has been used in discussions as a starting point)

I've always been known for my obsession with trains but this has surpassed anything previously- and thanks to Hitachi we'll be travelling on Japanese (?) trains soon here!

Can I close this by saying how much I enjoy reading your entries and occasionally sticking my nose in!You make an old guy happy!

Alex Rankin (Scotspensioner)

Edited by scotspensioner
Additional information
  • Thanks 1

Love this topic. Finding videos of 383s and EH200s on Takis at Obasute doing the flip-flop are what first attracted me to Japanese prototype modeling.  Great info!

• Like 1
scotspensioner

I was going to let it rest but I couldn't resist drawing your attention to this one.Ive given it the reference Alex's Kato Trains 2018 no.30.Its back at Matsumoto where HD300/9 picks up a pair of Eneos TaKi 1000s in the yard and adds them onto a very mixed rake of TaKis- probably as mixed as you're ever likely to see!

It then draws them forward over the Level Crossing before propelling them across the mainline recrossing the Level Crossing to leave them in the loops opposite the yard.It then returns back to the yard the way it came.HD300/10 then runs forward to pick up the wagons to haul them into the oil terminal which I've seen on some film's taken from passing trains.

Incidentally can I thank the many videographers who have given me access to see this wonderful country - trains and a lot more! Gentlemen I Salute you all

Edited by scotspensioner
Amendment
On 2/17/2018 at 4:32 PM, gavino200 said:

TaKi 35000 - Black - This one used exclusively to bring Jet fuel to the us air base Yokota

https://www.modeltrainplus.net/collections/n-scale-freight-cars-new/products/kato-10-554-tank-car-taki35000-nihon-rikuun-sangyo-8-car-set

Not sure if this still runs.

These were replaced by a set of Taki 1000s that still carry the distinctive JP-8 mark, Tomix did a run but I opted for just the regular ones since I still use the Taki 35000s for my air base (I didn't want a bunch of the same colored car). If you look up Yokota Air Base the unloading yard is at the bottom of the base and strangely seems to be almost outside the perimeter.

• Like 1