Kato T-Trak Module Kits

maihama eki

Squid,

i think this foam version looks to be aimed at the us market as well as it’s on the katousa website and woodland scenics partnership.

I agree its the biggest issue with ttrak is making your own modules is not easy without a shop. The hard thing in trying to convince new Modelers to get going with Ttrak would be a $50 investment on the first module. I’ve talked to a lot of potential new Modelers at shows to try to convince them to just try something to get going and try it and price of modules usually surfaces. I would have hoped with the inexpensive foam and Masonite design they could have gotten the price down some, but woodland scenics look to have produced it so they want a good profit and their stuff is never inexpensive.

jeff

• Like 1

Jeff,

I rec'd some samples of Ultraboard recently and really like the stuff. I've even managed to find a local source.

They [United Industries] have a product line which includes edge banding, attractive looking.

There's a part of me that would like to 'go rebel' and build modules using only an Ultraboard base like you typically see with dioramas. I'd really like to eliminate the 70mm front face because as you have mentioned, it is very distracting. It's an eye stopper to me.

It's reasonably priced too.

Of course if I eliminate the front face I am no longer a good citizen and can't play with others.

Roger,

ive done module heights from 1” to 2.75”. Did a bunch for club members at 2” as a compromise as it was the widest you can get wood veneer tape for the front face. Just going down to 2” really helps as well as going to natural wood finish. 1” ones I set on top of some girders I made that are about 1.5” tall and 4’ Long so I can plop 4 modules on the an just level them all at once and raise the modules easily up to 3.5-4”running height. The girders indent about 1” or so so the modules float nicely. This works a lot better than long bolts. 

In playing wit module fronts over the years 1-1.5” tall feels just about right to give a bit of depth but not overwhelm.

in japan the 2.75” never took off for the 25mm spaced modules and many were around 1” tall. With the new 33mm Ttrak push in japan that may change. The Kato japan kits are 60mm tall at the ends and like 52mm in the center,

you can run with others, Ttrak only really requires that you can raise the module up to get tracks to match. It’s still pretty loose on making the 2.75” front a standard that has to be. Some clubs may do it. You could always just make boxes or girders your flat modules could sit on for group setups that want you to have a more standard face.

ultraboard/expanded styrene board is great stuff. I’m hopefully picking up some more next week on a trek to the big plastic shop next week with a friend.

you can also just hot glue wood veneer tape to it as the hot glue binds well to the foam core and the heat sensitive glue on the veneer.

it cuts really well with a plastics blade (3 tooth shapes) on a table saw. Only down side is the sawdust from it can be pretty irritating as they are sort of sharp and they get very statically charged with the rotating blade, so good dust handling is a must!

cheers

Jeff

Lots of ideas out there but I think these are still some of the easiest modules to build. A cheap circular saw and a speed square and you’re in business. Add a bit of glue and some nails and Robert’s your father’s brother.

http://ttrak.wikidot.com/1x3s

Cheers eh,

Todd

ttrak4.jpg

Edited by tossedman

Todd,

1 x 3 are fine, they just make the module a bit heavier. I use 1/4" ply on the top and the sides are 1/4" x 2.5" poplar. You can get 4 foot lengths at Lowes or Homey Depot. I use 2" x 2" pine blocks, drilled out for the adjusting bolts in the corners.  I can make a single for about $5 plus the track.

• Like 1

I'm wanting to start my first T-Trak, but unfortunately I don't have the tools for cutting things to size nor do I have a house big enough to store tools if I bought them. Are there any other options that someone can think of in this Covid world of ours, or is my main option just to get from Kato (currently $60 + $15 shipping even though they're a mile down the road from me)? 

Our state is starting to be more restricted again and I do not believe they would allow me to come for pick-up there until the restrictions are listed. Illinois has steadily been getting worse with cases...

there are two other module manufactures in the us for mail order.

Masterpiece  Modules

http://www.masterpiecemodules.com/T-trak_N_Scale.php

and CMR

https://www.cmrproducts.com/store/T-Trak-&-Accessories-c24790145

does the chicago office do any pickup at all even under normail situations? might contact and see what the story is.

Folks have even made modules out of foamcore! they work, just have to be careful about flooding them with lots of water with scenery creation and care when moving them around not to ding them. you can protect the top with a bit of styrene sheet if you have some. Both Hot glue and pva work great for glues on the foam core or a combo if you use pva on the joint then just do some hot glue fillet tacks on the inside joint to hold it in place or use pins or painters tape to hold things while the pva sets. you can epoxy t-nuts or just regular nuts to a pice of horizontal foam core recessed at each end to hold leveling bolts/legs. also add a few 1" high cross pieces under the top to stiffen things up. also can just put some colored poster board or wood veneer on the front and back to pretty it all up. i once glued up a module like this and was pleasantly surprised how stiff and perfectly functional it was.

jeff

I've gotten the masterpiece modules, they're nice as you dont need many tools, but just a lot of elbow grease and some time to put them together.

Thanks.

As for local pick-up, yeah depending on the item. When I first started to seriously think about trains last year I contacted them if I could pick-up a few exclusive things from their office and they said I could stop by and get them. Unsure if the T-Trak kits were shipped from them as well but I know the items I asked about were stored on site. Got some ideas now on rigging something to work.

KiHa66 - would you have any pictures of the Masterpiece Modules?  Their web site just seems to have drawings and I am wondering how they look.  I have been thinking of getting some to get a project going but have been hesitant.

Cheers,

Tony Galiani

They are nice looking. A few of our club members have several. I had a couple of them here to transfer to other members but the just went out recently. I’ll see if Thomas can snap a couple of picts of any of his that are not dolled up yet.

jeff

On 11/12/2020 at 5:10 AM, Tony Galiani said:

Their web site just seems to have drawings and I am wondering how they look. 

There's a link to an assembly video on their main page. [Masterpiece Modules]

Edited by RogerMc
  • Like 2
On 8/16/2019 at 10:24 AM, socalttrak said:

Todd,

1 x 3 are fine, they just make the module a bit heavier. I use 1/4" ply on the top and the sides are 1/4" x 2.5" poplar. You can get 4 foot lengths at Lowes or Homey Depot. I use 2" x 2" pine blocks, drilled out for the adjusting bolts in the corners.  I can make a single for about $5 plus the track.

I think this will probably be the way I go. My mom's able to cut the parts for me and bring them over next time she's comes down from WI in exchange for a pot of curry. And who says the bartering system is dead?

• Like 2

Now thats a good deal! mom with a table saw, she rocks!

yeah many ways to build your module! lots of precut stock you just need to chop to length. top still needs the table saw or some hand sawing and sanding down.

might also think of just using 3 blocks, we've moved to that. just one in the back center and one in each front corner. makes leveling much much easier. just level side to side on the front legs to get tracks leveled up then go down line leveling the back leg to level front to back. some object saying its not as stable but doesnt need to support 5lbs in the back corners (maybe if you put a 12 story tomix high rise right in the very back corner of a 2x module). really makes life easier and resource savings as well! works fine on 2x modules as well.

cheers

jeff

They do look nicer than the first attempt! I hate all the box joints, I fear even heavy painting will leave them very noticeable. A nice piece of wood veneer strip could make the front edge look sharp. I am disappointed they put the little feet blocks visible in the corner and did not inset these under the module as it just adds visible detail to the face (even if painted) that distracts from the module scene and it also does not allow you to screw leveling bolts all the way up in and have the flush for transport and storage, but there and ready to lower when needed (separating bolts from modules is bad they tend to stay separated!)

Ttrak modules are getting expensive with track and hard to convince newbies to plunk down like $50 with shipping for module and track, before starting to pay for structures and scenery…

jeff

• Like 1
maihama eki

My opinion is "could be better". I'm not a fan of the clunky looking joints, laser burned edges, or the top deck in multiple pieces. It is nice that they include the track and feeder wires all in one kit to make getting going quicker and easier.

I am sad that Masterpiece Modules went away. I think they had the nicest quality.

They are on par with the pre cut Ttrak kits you get here in the us from the few small businesses that sell them once you add track in.

one issue with the CNC cut modules vs the laser cut is you need to carefully file the corners of joints to make sure they fit together well, that’s vexed many on assembly. But the lasercut does leave you with the very singed edges.

burch ply prices have soared the last few years and even got very hard to source at times, so that adds in there.

jeff