Proposed VAC to Japan Nov 21-28, suggestions?

to2leo

Hi everybody,

I am taking a week and a bit off work to go travel. (Yes, I know I just been to Spain, Greece, Morocco and the Canary Islands in May...)

I am seriously thinking about Japan. 

Now, I been there before about 4 years ago and did the cultural thing (Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Toyohashi, Tokyo) but I want to revisit again to satisfy my train obsession.

Since some of you have been there recently, Sushi Train, Martijn, Shashinka Ichiban and stevenh...

I am wondering which model layouts to visit, overnight train to take, hobby shops to visit (though I am creating one already), and where to go to snap pictures.

Finally, I don't mind some travel advices, seems Stevenh might have a wealth of experience in that category.  Toyoko Inn will be my backup but I would like cheaper accomodation if possible.

Also, if someone who is seriously about joining me, let me know. 

Leo from Toronto, Canada.

Martijn Meerts

I've been to Japan recently? Hmm.. I wish someone would've told me, I would've paid more attention ;)

Unfortunately, I've never been to Japan :(

I've been to Japan recently? Hmm.. I wish someone would've told me, I would've paid more attention ;)

Oh I read thru the forum and thought you did last year  :brushteeth:

r u planning one though?

Quashlo has been posting a series of trips around Tokyo on the Japan Urban Transport Thread at Skyscraper City starting on page number 9.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=828904&page=9

I find the area around Seibu Nerima Station to JR Nakano station interesting.  Those two stations are connected by Toei Oedo line and the Kato showroom is between Nerima and Higasi- Nakano stations on the Toei Oedo line.

Seibu Nerima has subway trains and the various Seibu trains on the Seibu Ikebukuro line.  Scroll down on the link below.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=40280792&postcount=224

JR Nakano is the site of JR rolling stock depot and not too far from the Yamanote line.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=40363958&postcount=230

Martijn Meerts

Oh I read thru the forum and thought you did last year  :brushteeth:

r u planning one though?

I've been wanting to go for many years, and I've been checking prices etc, but I don't have any short-term plans at least.

First I need to find someone who wants to come along and who wants to visit the places I want to visit =)

Thanks for the links, Bill937ca.  I will look into them with  :happy2:

I also don't remember if I can get onto Shinkansens' platforms if I have or do not have a JR Rail pass?

Hey Martjin,

What are the things that you are interested in?  Kyoto is a must if you like cultural and historical side of Japan.  Nara is unique in Fall and Spring.  Also, the Nara deer is a must.  Toyohashi has beautiful fireworks festivals during Oct/Nov.

Martijn Meerts

Thanks for the links, Bill937ca.  I will look into them with  :happy2:

I also don't remember if I can get onto Shinkansens' platforms if I have or do not have a JR Rail pass?

Hey Martjin,

What are the things that you are interested in?  Kyoto is a must if you like cultural and historical side of Japan.  Nara is unique in Fall and Spring.  Also, the Nara deer is a must.  Toyohashi has beautiful fireworks festivals during Oct/Nov.

The single most important place to visit would be the Ghibli Museum ;)

Other than that.. Tokyo Station obviously, Gion, Hiroshima peace memorial, snow monkeys in Nagano, Huis ten Bosch in Nagasaki, Sanjusangendo, and various traditional tea houses, temples, samurai houses etc.

Hey Martijn,

I want to go to Ghibli too!  And then at least a full day or two along Akihabara.  After, all the model layouts I can go visit.

Snow monkeys sound interesting...hopefully they won't throw excrements.

Tokyo station is a very busy and efficient one at that....JR was doing renovation when I was there in 2005.

Martijn Meerts

I need a research trip to Tokyo Station and take as many pictures as I can fit on however many memory cards I bring, otherwise I can't make a decent model of it =)

CaptOblivious

Hey Martijn,

I want to go to Ghibli too!  And then at least a full day or two along Akihabara.  After, all the model layouts I can go visit.

Snow monkeys sound interesting...hopefully they won't throw extracments.

Tokyo station is a very busy and efficient one at that....JR was doing renovation when I was there in 2005.

If you're headed to Akiba, could I bother you to take some reference photos for me? Pretty please?

Sure, let me know where you want me to take pictures.  :grin

I cannot wait to go back to one of those delicious noodle houses by the station....if there are any left with the new renovation.

The renovations continue- The Marunouchi Side is being restored, while the Yaesu side is currently seeing demolition of the old Daimaru Dept. store building, which will be replaced with a station-only frontage with a sail-like facade called "Gran Roof":

http://www.jreast.co.jp/investor/report/2008/pdf/int_special.pdf

Suggestions for railfanning:

1. Hikifune Station on the Tobu Line: junction where the Hanzomon subway line emerges to join the Tobu Isesaki Line (numerous run-through trains).  The next station, Higashi Mukojima, is the location of the Tobu Railway Museum (best private railway museum in Japan, IMO).

2. Railway Museum in Saitama (near Omiya)- big!, and popular- go really early or after 2:30 to avoid the throngs of screaming kiddies running willy-nilly...

3. A ride on Keikyu's Rapid Limited Express ("kaitoku") from Shinagawa bound for Yokohama and points south.  Best front seat view of 120km/h operation in the Tokyo area.

Update:

I contacted JTB Toronto office.  If everything goes according to plan I will be going to Japan from Nov 21-29 or Nov 18-26.

The first one will cost me about Cdn$1398 which includes direct flight to Narita with the 7 days JR Pass.

The second option will be $100 cheaper because it will start and end in the middle of the week.

Once I purchase the ticket on Friday, I will start planning to take full advantage of the Rail Pass.

I am seriously thinking of taking the night train.  I am wondering which train is the most booked and from which direction so that I can plan for Plan B and Plan C?

The sleeper train Cassiopeia is the most popular train-often sold out.  However as your travel dates are during the off season you may have a chance.  Also better chances of scoring a reservation mid-week.  Other sleepers (Hokutosei, Akebono, Hokuriku, Sunrise Seto/Izumo, etc.) probably no problem getting reservations.

Thanks for the suggestion, Bikkuri!

I went crazy last night and planned for my whole trip...I will double checked to make the trip more realistics

Night Trains are as followed

1) Sunrise Express from Tokyo to Okayama

2) Nihonkai from Kyoto to Amori, enroute to Sapporo

3) Hamanasu from Sapporo to Aomori, enroute to Hakone

to2leo, have already responded via PM, but you plans sound great so far.

The Twilight Express from Osaka to Sapporo was the busiest, hence I had to flip my plans and take the Nihonkai first, then the Twilight Express back.

I've no idea how busy the Sunrise Express is, but I'd love to have a look at that too.

I also hear that the Cassiopeia is extremely expensive :)