-Gerry's Mixed Layout - Building Stage

gerryo

From here on I am doing construction of my last plan.  The tables are set up, and the width cut to 48 inches.  I am waiting on one more table which when added will bring the layout to 3400mm long by 48 inches wide.  I suppose I will have to get better at taking pictures, loading them into my computer and then displaying them on here.  Sounds like a lot of work.

So, here goes.

Gerry

These are the first 3 tables in line but not spaced out from the wall.  Waiting on the last table to make up the 3400mm.

These will now have a 1x2in wood frame built on top to give stability to the 1in thick Styrofoam.

5a80eb7c2e901_FIRST3TABLES-RIGHT.thumb.JPG.6cacd10f8300e8b35a5e92ea28bb365b.JPG

• Like 4

I have just now been informed by my supplier in the U.S. that Noch does not offer their Aluminum Frame number 92230 any more.  This order was placed by me on Nov. 10 of last year, and it has taken until now for them to tell me this. 

5a88c5a78e9c8_N-MIXEDLAYOUT.thumb.jpg.51978024f9ff4b5ffa3da58a304686c7.jpg

As you can see, this makes a difference in my plan by 40cm at the left end.  I suppose I could build a frame of this size from 1x2 wood but it will be a funny looking mess.  But I can't leave it like this.  I seems to me that I have a couple of pieces of 31cm alum. frame from the Cortina layout that I didn't use.  Now the problem is - to find them I1 of my many boxes of junk.

Gerry

• Like 1

I have decided to build the extension piece with 1x2 wood.  That's because I already have one built and I am lazy.  I have an extra 2 ft. wide by 4 ft. long module from my intentions for T-Track.  All I need to do is install the styro and legs at the right height and -  VOILA.  This will bring the length of the layout to 142 inches - almost 12 ft. but now that gives me more room for the fishing village at the left end.  Also a need for a tram line out there from the city.  ANY IDEAS?

5a89ca02a2ca3_N-MIXEDLAYOUT.thumb.jpg.556e4c860bcac135b470875141d43852.jpg

Gerry

I have shortened the bus route across the front and added a tram line from the village across the middle.  There has to be a crossing in there near the left and I don't know which crossing to use.  Kato or Tomix.  The tram line is Tomix Wide Tram and the rail line is Kato.  Also note that there is a curve immediately after the crossing, so no room for adapter track pieces.

5a89d73f347db_N-MIXEDLAYOUT.thumb.jpg.323de23c1c4b3ca46e7dec1ef32cbc04.jpg

Gerry

A 1x2 frame under your top board wirh cross pieces like every foot or so (and maybe extras one either end to pick up the end pieces of your leg system) would be easy to build and make the top nice and sturdy. Then just a few blocks screwed into the top at the right place to pickup a few corners if you leg system would lock it into the leg support w.o having to physically attach it to it. This could let you tip the layout up (as long as you  made a holder on the backside blocks to hold partially around the leg cross pieces) and have a coupe, of prop sticks and work on wiring under the layout w.o having to crawl under it. 

Cheers

jeff

This is the 3 large tables with styro glued on top of a 1x2 frame to add stability to the Noch attachment system.  Very weak is my opinion, so needed extra.  

Jeff, your idea for a hinging layout to be handier to do wiring.  Needs some extra thought.  I can't imagine a block and tackle system in my apartment.

5a8a040205d7f_3TABLESWITHFOAM2.thumb.JPG.8d28e61a32149e2160b915408d803f7b.JPG

No there is not room for Mystic Seaport.  

The 2ft. extension will be added to this end and will include my fishing village.  I'm thinking of covering the whole thing with green cloth so that everything that is not Unitram, Unitrack, or Wide Track will be grass or trees.   This needs more thinking too.  Maybe do each table separately for easier tilting system.

Gerry

• Like 3

Gerry,

sorry was not suggesting block and tackle, but some small blocks of wood that attached to the top frames on the underside to keep it locked to the leg bases from sliding off. Back blocks could have an extra piece going around the frame in back like a C that would allow the top to be tipped up and not slip off the framers the rear. You could then prop it up like a car hood with a couple of dowels.

Because you have track going across each top you would need to lean it all up at once. This all may be too wobbly for the base or the three and a half tops bolted together. Also may put too much lateral stress on the leg structure.

jeff

• Thanks 1

My last few pics showed the 3 tables set with the 1meter dim. along the wall.  And with this I may have outdone myself.  If I now add 24 inches to this total it would add up to 12 feet.  But the longer dimension of each table at 4 feet would be sticking out into the room.  Now if I move the layout out 16 to 18 inches to be able to work on it the layout is now 6 feet into the whole room.  This may be too much freedom of movement for me to lose.

5a8b6de1db21e_N-MIXEDLAYOUT.thumb.jpg.a0c799d8cbcf683df6a772869a8b13c5.jpg

With the tables turned the other way, I gain back a whole foot of space and believe me that is a lot in a small apartment.  OK, so what would I lose if I do this.

By using a narrower layout I lose the Portram Line, I would have to move the Car Wash and turn it 90 degrees which would mean that the extension could not be used.  There would be less space around the castle unless I went to a smaller one.  The reason I have so much Unitram is because I already have it, in fact I just bought more and it was delivered 2 weeks ago.  I guess I might have got ahead of myself.  On the other hand, I don't have to build that other table and I still have a 12 foot long layout, just not taking up 6 feet of width.

Ok.  I think that now the planning stage might be complete.

Gerry

This plan is in N scale.  The sharp curves are on the bus route, which can operate on 66mm radius curves, and the freight line uses 249mm curves on the top left end curve.  Relatively slow railroading and buses.

Gerry

I have relaxed my need for space to move in and have revised the size of my plan.  The first pic shows where I was worried about getting through, and the second shows the addition that I will use to solve the problem.  The addition will have only the castle on it.  It will be moveable, on casters, and will contain only the castle.  

When not in use as a railroad fixture, it can be moved somewhere else.

5a8cae8ea05fc_WALKINGSPACE.JPG.5347ce9fab4920899e24fc9ec6b745f0.JPG    5a8caeb3a308b_CASTLETABLETOP.JPG.f6b365a5d63630c1ec8277e28231f570.JPG  

These changes shorten the actual railroad somewhat and allows the width to be reverted back to 4 feet.  This frees up a lot of extra space and allows my Portram line back in.  Also the complete Car Wash can be included, along with other ideas later on.  

I guess I panicked yesterday about the space for me.  Anyway, I think this is the final plan, and will not go on forever.

5a8caefb63a74_N-MIXEDSHORT.thumb.jpg.75536c0e36de8a7be2e8996626b0a3d6.jpg

Gerry

• Like 2

I have all the green cloth in place, and the tables clamped together for effect. 

5a8f63b11f257_GREENFINISHED.thumb.JPG.4b4facd4d992c57e594bea6e55dad092.JPG

Can't wait to get some things on there just to see how they look.  Still have to get holes drilled to install bolts to hold it all together.  There will be something all around the edge as trim and to protect the edge of the cloth and styro from the effects of my large stomach.  It can be dangerous.

Gerry

• Like 5

I had intended to use the Tomix 560mm bridge that I had purchased a couple of years ago BUT, I found that there could not be a secure fit between the bridge and my Kato Unitrack single viaduct.  Every time I came close to it with other work, the connections came apart.  So I have removed the bridge, along with the single viaduct, and have replaced the via with the double via.  This changes almost everything except the bus route and the castle.  Some day I will have to change my as built drawing.  There may be a use for part of the single via.  I seem to remember from my distant past I had a single as an access from the ground up to the double via.  Maybe I'll try that again.  There will be a need to get the Shinkansens down to ground to get them washed.  We shall see.

Gerry   

I tried to use the double viaduct that I had used for a short time a couple of years ago, and this brought back some mixed memories, which actually repeated themselves again in this life.  The double via. will be removed again and I wish to announce that I have a complete double viaduct for sale.  It takes up a tremendous amount of space and hides a lot of other things that I wish to use and highlight.  Yes, the Unitram takes up a lot of space but at least it can be used along with other things.  

So I am back to using a single via. and have ordered 2 Kato bridges to replace the large Tomix one that I can't use.  At least it will attach properly to other Kato track.  I will also decrease the length of the double track across the back as I only have a 6 unit E7 and a 7 unit E6.  Instead of the Viaduct station at the front I will use the Overhead station for the shinkansen tracks and possibly the rural station on the freight line somewhere.  

The other thing that takes up a lot of room is the BTA bus line.  Where the bus stops are,  is wider than the end loops, so I will use the original bus stops and single road width.  The loops will stay at the ends and then there will be continuous running.  That is, as long as the batteries last.

Anyway, construction takes a lot longer than planning but I'm not near 2 years yet.

Gerry 

Back to single viaduct and a large amount of Unitram.  With this much Uni there will not be enough room for the car wash or the Portram line, so will have to cut back on something.  

5a9892c841e57_PiecesEverywhere.thumb.JPG.5964888225a691c91a397e3ffb732def.JPG

I have to wait for more bus road to see if I want to have it across the front.  It takes up a lot of room as well.  Everything is bigger than expected when you put it together.  NO.  No more room for tables.

I am glad for plug and play with all the wiring there will be to do.  Of course the logical place for the control panel is front and center and you can see everything from there.  And also glad for power routing which saves a lot of switches and switching as you play.  

So the wait is on for more parts.  Should the car wash be deleted or part of the Unitram?

5a9896e62c2e3_N-MIXEDSHORT.thumb.jpg.84e115a8bb67d4d27922223348365723.jpg

Gerry

• Like 3

Yes, the Unitram plates are wider than just the Unitram track.  Could you may be delete the plate at the back end of the Unitram loops for more space overall?

Hi bill.  Yes I realise that the Unitram is 682mm wide but I just realised that is not my problem.  I have revised my plan to show what is wrong.

5a98b1b0a4e30_N-MIXEDSHORT.thumb.jpg.1ae68b8bb0f391be8473a5510c2d26d1.jpg

I have been using the double viaduct station plates measurements across the top of my plan and that crowds out the car wash up there.  As you see that there are 2 grey rectangles there now.  The large one is the station plate size, but what I will have up there is a double track set of bridges so only need space for double track which comes in at abt 58mm instead of 112.  This 54mm would free up just about enough for the wash and would let the freight track further up by abt 50mm.

The problem there is that there is no station plate that is narrow, and I need something to use to set the turnout on that is 248mm long.  There will be 2 double track bridges further along but that is what creates the problem.

Any ideas?

Gerry 

Could you may be use Woodland Scenics foam risers instead of the viaduct? Make it look like an embankment instead of a viaduct. I was looking for the width of the 23-122 Overhead Transit Station but I can't find it.

What I am thinking is the center section with an island platform. But still this is at least 102mm.

http://www.sumidacrossing.org/ModelTrains/OverheadTransitStation/

http://www.sumidacrossing.org/ModelTrains/PassengerPlatforms/

At 58mm you probably don't have room for platforms.

For platforms Kato uses 41mm between tracks.  See diagram.  (Jeff- I only posted a link not the image.)

http://www.sumidacrossing.org/ModelTrains/PassengerPlatforms/

platform-tracks-viaduct-stn1.jpg

Edited by bill937ca

I am using a single viaduct up to the #4 turnouts after the curves on both ends.  Go to your illustration above and to the #4 Switch on Viaduct Station.  Use the 481-15 in the same spot but omit the 64mm 20-030.  On the straight leg of the switch use a 60L and a S64 and you end up with the same thing but with 33mm center to center which is the standard for Kato double track.  

That is what I need a platform to hold .  This platform would be the same width as a double track bridge.  Not the 100mm of the viaduct platform.

Gerry

I've got something running on here.  Plugged a power pack in, wired it up, turned it on and it worked.

CENTRAM.JPG.c87a267f975360d8cdf993f39ca0a1fc.JPG5a99ef21118fc_KITAKINKITANGO.JPG.d83c3c583cd21925bab1953c9b066749.JPG

The KTR is sure a lot faster than the tram but they both work just fine.  Obviously I didn't size the pics the same.

Gerry

Edited by gerryo

Gerry that would just be a double track viaduct section. There are no platform sections that are double viaduct wide. You can pull the track plate off a double viaduct and replace with a chunk of styrene.

jeff

It's perfect. Jeff.  Without any styrene it is a perfect height, looks like a steel bridge with open beams.  Thank you!!

Gerry

And once again my Kitakinki Tango works as a test train and the viaduct route with the Tomix bridge in place is working just fine.

IMG_0708.thumb.JPG.a51850e055ccc2491b323cf293f82f3b.JPG

I think I will try to find a way to keep this bridge because it is longer and a better color than the Kato green.  

Anyway, it works.

Gerry

• Like 5