Tourist Train in Kansai Area

TCC Railroad

If I only have time for one tourist train ride while I am in the Kansai, which one should it be? I'll be there in August/September.

Kurt

Although I have yet to visit Kansai, I've heard great things about the Sagano Scenic Railway.  There's also short rides behind steam locomotives at the Kyoto rail museum, but they are just around the museum property.

20 hours ago, bill937ca said:

You could try the Oigawa Railway in Shizuoka Prefecture. Its part museum, part railway. It runs steam about 300 days a year. After a ride on the Oigawa check to see if the Ikawa Small Railway has reopened. (It closed due a landslide in 2014).

http://oigawa-railway.co.jp/en/sl.html

It looks interesting, but I think it is a bit too far from Kyoto to make it over there. However, it is a possibility for a future trip! Thanks for the suggestion.

20 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Although I have yet to visit Kansai, I've heard great things about the Sagano Scenic Railway.  There's also short rides behind steam locomotives at the Kyoto rail museum, but they are just around the museum property.

The Sagano seems to be a good possibility. I have read a couple things about it that look interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. If I take it, I'll share photos afterwards.

カート

20 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

i would like to try the Eizan Railway riding the Kirara too... at your visit time, you might even be in time for the maple tree tunnel!

though you might be a little early in September.... 

There also seem to be an offer pass for this route here; 

http://www.keihan.co.jp/traffic/valueticket/global/en/pdf/kyoto-kurama_kibune1dayticket-201704.pdf

I'm already planning to go to Mt Hiei, so it looks like I will be traveling via the Eiden. It looks beautiful. Part of my trip is to visit as many first class Japanese gardens as possible, and Shugakuin Imperial Villa seems to have one of note. Thanks for the video link. 

Kurt