EU manufacturers N Gauge new Releases & Product Announcements

Yavianice

On 11/18/2021 at 8:29 PM, roadstar_na6 said:

I saw the Arnold Caimano live today and I gotta say it looks good but I'll wait for Arnold to make the Tartaruga 😄

not Arnold, but anyway...  (second series, slightly different from Atlas-Rivarossi)

PIRATA-catalogo2022_WEB (1)_5.pdf

price, availability etc... don't ask to me, any questions directly to PIRATA crew

Ciao!

Massimo

• Like 2

Thanks for the catalogue @jappomania. Although there are not many new items in it. I am happy to see actual models of the Restaurant cars announced previously; that gives me hope that they are still slated for production. Sometime. Maybe. please come soon

@disturbman, You and me both. I generally don't do non-Japanese stuff, at least in model form, but I'd gladly make an exception for something like A Z23000, MS61 A/B, MS61 C~Ex, Mi79 or Mi84, especially in their 1980's~mid 2000's guise. Doesn't have to be N-gauge either, I've been waiting for a model of any of these trains since I was an early teen whom was still primarily into (and aware of) European H0 scale models, I wouldn't even mind a H0 scale model should there ever be one.

Alas, European manufacturers, or perhaps it would be more accurate to state it is the "European" (with so many different European countries and ditto railway systems I don't think there's truly an all encompassing European market as such) market in this case, don't seem to be all that interested in older EMU classes in the first place, let alone rapid transit type EMUs.

Though the situation is slightly better in H0, but only slightly so, I don't think any of the manufacturers has introduced a Parisian suburban EMU since Joueff released their H0 scale Z5100 in the 1970's haven't they? I know Vitrains announced that they would be releasing a Z5300 around 2009, but that one never materialized.

On a slightly different note, but somehow still related to the subject at hand, Austrian manufacturer Jagerndorfer released their 2022 catalogs (which I for some reason didn't get around to posting it here), which included a number of new N-Gauge releases:

https://www.jaegerndorfer.at/katalog/f622d861fd~N_Katalog_2022_08.pdf

The ÖBB 4030 immediately caught my attention, the 4030 being a mid-century commuter/suburban EMU after al, not to mention being one of the better looking European EMUs of their type (outside of Paris of course😉). Same goes for their long(er) distance sisters of the 4130 series. however with a MRSP of €374.90 for a DC only 3-car 4030, or €434.90 for a 4-car 4130 (included in this bargain are of course a fully fitted set of true to scale, state of the art Rapido couplers, including the end cars...) I think I'll pass.

Anyway, whenever I check on this thread I'm always reminded of how thankful I am for my main railway related interests moving away from Europe during my teens. Switching to American H0 scale in my teens opened my eyes to a world were models could be much more detailed, reliable, better running and more diverse at a much lower price point (in the 2000's anyway, the average price seems to have gone up considerably since) compared to the European models, while at the same time allowing me to buy models I actually liked, for the most part at least (my areas of interest within the European railway system(s), as for example seen above, were generally not represented by any of the European manufacturers). Of course with my interest in Japanese trains moving from a side interest into my main area of interest, and finally into the category of Japanese trains only (with some minor side interests outside of Japan), and the resulting switch to Japanese N-gauge a couple of years later, truly allowed this hobby to start shining for me. I would never trade the combination of excellent quality models, affordable pricing, and access to (almost) all of my favorite trains (EMUs) in high-quality model form. Not having to deal with the ever increasing prices, lack of variety in terms of subjects (unless you model Bundesbahn era DB, or more or less contemporary DB AG stock), and never ending complaints about the lack of young people within the hobby and the upcoming demise of model railroading as a result of this, were an added bonus I guess😁.

So yeah, I always feel bad for those who do have an interest in European trains, especially in N-gauge, as I probably would've exited the model part of this hobby if I had never switched.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, 200系 said:

Alas, European manufacturers, or perhaps it would be more accurate to state it is the "European" (with so many different European countries and ditto railway systems I don't think there's truly an all encompassing European market as such) market in this case, don't seem to be all that interested in older EMU classes in the first place, let alone rapid transit type EMUs.

To me the issue can be described as an Ouroboros, a snake eating its own tail. The market is geared toward affluent people, and notably well-off boomers. If attention was also given to more price sensitive and younger customers, you would see a lot more "daring" products and lot less nostalgic products with literal bells and whistles.

I would love a MI79/84 in original livery in N. Or even some RATP MFs and more subway trains in general. I think there is a relatively big untapped market there. But the urban/surburban trains were really disregarded. Which is why I'm half tempted to get some VB2N. Maybe I should ask @Yavianiceto bother Kato Europe representant to do the MI79/84 next time he sees them.

Sanders, I didn't know you were European, I thought you were based in the US.

• Like 2

Devil's advocate question: I'm guessing the Euro firms have done some market research. Could it be that they've concluded that European kids just aren't into model trains and that they can't resuscitate the hobby with the younger generation. Or rather, could it be that they've concluded that and may be right? As a lifelong model train lover it's hard for me to understand any kid not liking these things. But it's a different world now that kids are growing up in. I can only guess at their experience of it.

Doesn't have to be kids, I don't even think they cater to most of the Millennials/Gen Y modelers. I would buy differently if my tastes were met, at a price that would be decent and without sound or DCC. The problem is also that most "affordable" models are totally shit mechanically. 

Like Sanders, I can't justify spending north of 300€ on a single loc or a three-car EMU. And I don't think that expensive and potentially tech savvy nostalgic models is a good way to appeal to new comers.

With more affordable models you could develop the hobby in the younger generations. Almost all kids love trains and any weird driving machines, like street sweepers or garbage trucks. You can park them on a bridge and they would be happy watching train passes, or boats, or whatever else. Just need to cultivate that. But there is not really anything beyond Duplo or Brio/Ikea trains to do that after 5 or 6.

Edited by disturbman

Yeah, I take your points. I'm currently on the fence about continuing with my German trains. I passed up on the recent TEE and ICET as it was just a huge whack of cash. I also am not interested much in sound, and I prefer to choose and install my own decoders. So, I'd definitely prefer if the Europeans were more Japanese in this respect.

Pirata have, at last, released the other Arosa Express 2nd and the "Bärenland" coach along with another batch of the previous AE vehicle. They've also just announced a WR-S based on a Kato 1st, which I think is a supplementary restaurant car offering extra seating and tables for a fully equipped one coupled next to it.

They're now promising the rest of the Arosa Express again, the luggage van, 1st and steuerwagen (the latter didn't feature before). Only missing the composite to build the full train. I will be interested to see whether any of those appear and how long it'll take!

• Like 1
On 11/18/2021 at 3:29 PM, Yavianice said:

Finally something exciting from Europe (something that is new and not a re-release). Modellbahnunion (owned by DM-Toys) will produce the Ugly Duckling, DB ET403 in Lufthansa colors. 

Available Summer 2022. Only at DM-Toys.

https://www.dm-toys.de/de/produktdetails/MU_N-T40301.html

available now! (alert from from DM-Toys newsletter 🤑 )

they sell also the spare parts like pantos (I don't know if it match the real SBS65, anyway it can be a god upgrade for my old Minitrains, better than the Sommerfeldt)

Ciao!

Massimo

(I'm tempted, but Minitrains version at the end is not so bad and I'm still searching a reason to justify myself why I bought the Arnold Rabe, and every time I open a new package from Japan my blood pressure go over.... 💣)

1 hour ago, jappomania said:

I'm still searching a reason to justify myself why I bought the Arnold Rabe

You should get the CRH5 from Changming and sell the Arnold. At least the CRH5 fits into you HST focus 😉

13 hours ago, disturbman said:

You should get the CRH5 from Changming and sell the Arnold. At least the CRH5 fits into you HST focus 😉

same problem, too expensive compared with "japanese" quality and in addiction is a chinese copy of original train (original is better 😋 )

I bought from Nariichi the CRH "E2" and the first edition of CRH380 start set (with wrong couplers) from EZtranscom, I think that's enough to evaluate if can be a good choice collecting China trains (it' easier that I buy one Al Boraq - if Kato will do this one - rather than I add another CRH to my roster)

Changming quality is imo better than Kunter, and a step above Kato/Tomix detail wise. Notably on prints. It's definitely on par with "Japanese" quality. Their CRH1A had resolved the long standing problems with Chinese pantographs.

Not sure if you are joking or not, but the CRH5 like the CRH2 or the CRH1A is not a Chinese copy, Alstom associated itself with a local manufacturer to produce a version of the ETR600 for use on the China Railway High-speed network.

1 hour ago, disturbman said:

Changming quality is imo better than Kunter, and a step above Kato/Tomix detail wise. Notably on prints. It's definitely on par with "Japanese" quality. Their CRH1A had resolved the long standing problems with Chinese pantographs.

Not sure if you are joking or not, but the CRH5 like the CRH2 or the CRH1A is not a Chinese copy, Alstom associated itself with a local manufacturer to produce a version of the ETR600 for use on the China Railway High-speed network.

about quality thanks for the info upgrade, I'm still not yet 100% sure about price/quality value but I wait the future development (maybe the Fuxing series....)

I'm not joking, about chinese copy (or chinese version if you prefer) I simply talk around the design, obviously some technical characters has been developed for chinese railways, but at first impact is an Alstom ETR600/610 (Pendolino for close friends) or a Siemens ICE3 and Kawasaky E2 in white/blue stripes

I know that all these trains are not chinese copy, but the history I know is a little bit different, product developement has been done on each origin country (taly/France, Germany and Japan), first batch has been done for the first 3 train sold like complete trains, 6 more like kit with all parts sended and only assembled in China

(the first 3+6 CRH5 are made in Italy! built in Savigliano ex Fiat Ferroviaria factory 😂)

the rest was built in China with the (just my opinion) biggest bull....it of technology transfer agreement (but required if you want to sell it in China,I would not speak of associate when you are practically forced)

In my career the first rule was everytime "you pay me for my work, not to let me teach you how to do my work" but that's another history and too off topic and touch things that are forbidden here.....

Ciao!

Massimo

quack! 🦆

another "Pato" from.. ehm now is "Imperio del Hobby" but the base is the AVE 102/112 Startrain/Toptrain/Kato-Soldat or everybody else (they changed producer name more times than models released)

is the same shop that released the ADIF Seneca (just a repaint of AVE cars, so can be considered a fake version like the Kato 500 EVA), probably is again a special limited release

anyway this time the simple repaint is enough, so I don't think (hope) it can be done wrong (about product quality I don't think something changed)

p.s.just 35-40% more than the last release 😭

banner-AVLO-AVE-ES-elimperiodelhobby.thumb.jpg.44b071f9508a4948ddc222a2b8171e98.jpg

Mr.Kato!!! now I want the spanish OUIGO white!

(and maybe before I'm curious to see how they masked the difference between the Duplex and the Euroduplex version in the last Lyria release that's on the way...)

ciao!

Massimo

James-SNMB

Hobby train has released and re-released some Railjet models, in stock at Modellbahnshop-lippeand elsewhere, I presume.

I broke down and ordered the the standard red livery (Italy version). One of my favourite train liveries, for sure. And, as a second class passenger, probably the most comfortable train I've ridden on. Not to mention the symphonic starting sound... This is the first time I've paid the premium price for a European brand model, having been spoiled by the quality and value of Kato and Tomix to date, so I just hope it runs ok!

The 100 years of OBB and Klimaticket liveries versions are also available.