EU manufacturers N Gauge new Releases & Product Announcements

Yavianice

Hi Michel,

"rumors" about price?

after long time I bought an european model, a couple of Arnold "Caimano" and it's not so bad (but Kato and Tomix are another thing), this one can be the next but depend of which OEM will be involved

I remember some collaboration with Arnold and Dapol in the past, I'm curious to know this one, otherwise my old Lima and Minitrain can be enough... (maybe too much, 7-8 trains if I remember....)

p.s. news about the third "Le Capitole" add-on from Minitrix? do you know something more? (I'm tempted but this would be my first train over 600€)

ciao!

Massimo

Edited by jappomania

I saw the Arnold Caimano live today and I gotta say it looks good but I'll wait for Arnold to make the Tartaruga 😄

ET403 is cool, but expect to pay big for it 😄 Also it'd be kinda cool if MBU would donate x% of every sale to the rebuild one of them is going through currently, but the DM part of MBU is probably too greedy for that...

1 hour ago, jappomania said:

"rumors" about price?

Nope. I wouldn't be surprised if they just wait and see what inflation / manufacturing costs will do between now and next summer. 

p.s. news about the third "Le Capitole" add-on from Minitrix? do you know something more? 

Nope, although, Minitrix did release their new 21/22 catalogue today but I haven't had the opportunity to look at it yet. Maybe it's in there? The Le Capitole does not interest me however. 

(I'm tempted but this would be my first train over 600€)

Amateur! 😆

6 hours ago, gavino200 said:

I'd been waiting for this ICE-T to come out for quite a while. But I'm beginning to have second thoughts about $560 US for an 7 car train. Perhaps I can live without this thing.

https://www.fleischmann.de/en/product/248381-0-0-0-0-0-0-002004-0/products.html

Looking to the link, unless they used a HO scale picture for selling a N scale ICE, the level of details of boggies, pantographs, etc ... is really mad for N scale. 

JM

1 hour ago, JR East said:

Looking to the link, unless they used a HO scale picture for selling a N scale ICE, the level of details of boggies, pantographs, etc ... is really mad for N scale. 

It is an HO scale picture photoshopped. Fleischmann does not make HO anymore btw.

• Confused 1

Confusing.

At first I was surprised by the new livery, as I thought they had been decommissioned, but then I saw it was a T, not a TD.

I wouldn’t mind a TD, I took it a few times to Copenhagen. Too bad they don’t run anymore.

10 minutes ago, disturbman said:

Too bad they don’t run anymore.

Except the Advanced TrainLab. Wouldn't mind a model of that one either actually. But let's face it, it will never happen.

Edited by Yavianice

I've been thinking about the price on this train. It's quite high, but it's really not an aberration, for a German train. I think, so far all my German trains have been bought piecemeal. A loco here, a couple of carriages there. But the prices have been pretty much in line with this. It's only when buying a whole train in one piece that you realize just how pricey they are. I have to think seriously about whether I want to continue collecting German trains. Really, I think I do, but I'll probably do a good bit less. I'm going to pass on this ICE T, as I'm focusing more on my layout now anyway. 

Save us Kato!!!

I'm guessing they probably wouldn't be too motivated to do an ICE 1/2/3/T that are already covered by other manufacturers. I'm so glad they did the ICE 4 though, so I could have at least one of the German HSTs. I'll quietly hope they do some more.

I read some pretty disappointing reviews about the quality of the Arnold versions. Would the Fleischmann model be expected to be better?

• Like 1
17 hours ago, James-SNMB said:

I read some pretty disappointing reviews about the quality of the Arnold versions. Would the Fleischmann model be expected to be better?

We already know since this is the 3rd time they will release the ICE-T.

Details: excellent. Pendulum mechanism: great and more reliable than KATO, also super realistic (pantograph doesn’t tilt just like in real life). Lights: excellent. Motor: mediocre (it goes faster in one direction than the other, at least all my 4 engines did). Interior light installation: dumb as with all European trains.

if KATO is going to produce a new ICE it will probably be the ICE 3 Velaro, since that’s also used for the Eurostar and the existing fleet at DB will be expanded. However, “Eurostar” as a company will soon no longer exist so maybe they won’t bother.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Yavianice said:

However, “Eurostar” as a company will soon no longer exist so maybe they won’t bother.

No, it's the Thalys brand that is going to disappear. Thalys will be rebranded Eurostar, which is a pity, Thalys livery is nicer and more striking imo.

New items from Arnold for 3022 2022:

https://de.arnoldmodel.com/catalogue/neue-produkte-2022?sort_by=8&page=1

For me the most exciting is the BR103 Railadventure, the first time it is being modelled by anyone. But, there are plenty of other nice models such as belgian sleepers, german measuring train...

New items from PIKO for 2022:

https://www.piko.de/KAT_PDF/99692.pdf

Not that much exciting stuff in my opinion, but I am liking the BR101. Sure it's been modeled by everyone before, but opposed to the Fleischmann model it has red/white lighting, and the Minitrix version is expensive for what you get (still wish they made something else than a model that everyone has made already)

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 3

New items from Fleischmann for 2022:

https://www.fleischmann.de/uploads/service/downloads/Kataloge/20220114_FLM_Novelties_2022_EN.pdf

For me the highlights are:

• DB Berlin Airport Express (complete set)
  • NS 1800 (with new tooling like the 1600 from last year)
  • DB BR 101 IC logo for 50th year anniversary. Note that nothing has changed from the tooling so like before this Locomotive does not have closing lights.
  • DB IC Cabin Car with new lettering. The Bistro and a handful of other cars are also remodeled with new lettering.

Edited by Yavianice
  • Thanks 1

I'm tempted by the Sybic and the BB 507310 in "Fantôme" livery, but those prices are really difficult to swallow.

Edited by disturbman

For those interested, Fleischmann is having a customer survey about their interest and what is important to them. I think it can be important for those into European models to answer, as I believe the European industry trends towards increasingly expensive trains will lead to its disappearance, as younger generations are being priced out of the hobby. They need to be able to sell DC locomotives for a 100€ or 120€ and not 200€. They also need to find a way to better market full sets, in a way closer to Japanese and Chinese manufacturers, with bookcases for easy storage and work on making appealing packagings.

https://app.umfrageonline.com/s/ev7te4k

edit: The noting system is a bit counterintuitive as 1 is "very happy" and 5 is "very unhappy".

Edited by disturbman
6 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

How so? Price? DCC? Quality? Models chosen? All of the above?

By releasing the same stuff over and over and over again, and selling the ancient models for ridiculous prices. 429 euro for a BR103 that has been released dozens of times by them and others, and their "Hobby" (starter) series for 99 euro for 1 cabin car and 249 euro for a locomotive is a perfect example of how they do not have a clue what the N gauge market looks like. Or they know it very well and actively try to sabotage it. "Buy Märklin instead, plebs!"

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

As I wrote previously, I think most of the European manufacturers are aiming at the higher side of the market to the detriment of trying to getting new blood into the market. Models made for Boomers, if you will. A this rate, in 10 years from now, some manufacturers will have disappeared and the hobby will be almost non-existent.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Jugderdemidiin Gurragchaa

Looks like Arnold's ETR 610s are finally arriving at retailers.

I would really love to add one of these to my collection but I just can't seem to find any real information about Arnold's model and the quite high price (compared to KATO/TOMIX) leaves me a bit nervous about making the leap and buying one.

After seeing their ICE-3 released at a very high price compared to Japanese models and without any formed interior I honestly didn't have a lot of hope that their ETR would turn out great. The noted running issues of some of their other models have also left me a bit apprehensive about jumping onboard and buying one for myself.

Now that I've found a video of them running it has sadly confirmed my suspicions that the models do not appear to have any interior and instead just have blacked out windows I am quite disappointed and will hold off on buying one unless I see a good deal. I'm sure some people don't mind at all about not having an interior but I really do love the look of my Kato and Tomix models with formed interior seats, I'm not a die hard realist but I do feel it greatly enhances the overall appeal of a model!

Edited by Jugderdemidiin Gurragchaa