The New Trams Are Here

Hobby Dreamer

Hobby Dreamer

Well, Gentlemen... Order for 8 trams is in....

Ever had one of those days when you felt bonked but something told you that Japanese n-scale is not like other products so if you snooze, you lose! I decided to get Tomytec tram shells only without the motor. I will use these for static display in tram barns or on track where one would not want power units - assuming turnouts etc will be made.

I have not paid the closest attention to many threads as I did not conceive of buying direct from Japan, so related issues were of no concern until now. But I sense there is some panic - a little more than just purchase frenzy from you all when it comes to orders. And I just noted that some items had waiting lists already.

I bought from Hobby Search as they had a simple English interface and you all gave them good reviews. I wanted to get one motor assembly but these were on reserve, and I am not sure what that means exactly. If Kato expands the Unitram track then I will get Kato trams as I want the lights. And, heck, I want to support Kato for this new venture. Early consumer interest is what they will need in to offer more in the future.

The only thing I am not sure of, is whether the tram shells have fake wheels for those that forgo the motor assembly. I have 2 tram barns from days gone by and may get a few more.  I'm hoping for some additional track variation from Kato (other than ovals) so trams can be at barns or at intersections even if they are not powered.

Finally, Did anyone note the length of the Portrams?

Well I guess I am turning Japanese....  

Rick

Mod note: Split topic, new trams test thread.

Dear Scott Clark,

Thank you for shopping at HOBBY SEARCH.

The items reserved under the order No.09-0626-0027 are now in stock.

Item name : The Railway Collection Toyama Light Rail TLR0601 (Red) (Model Train)

Store code : 10090248

Item name : TM-LRT01 Power Unit For Railway Collection (For LRT) (Model Train)

Store code : 10090251

:grin

Concept Model Trains

My Tomytec Toyama Light Rail models arrived this morning.  I ordered one TLR0607 (Purple) ,TLR0604 (Green) and two TLR0601 (Red) all with a TM-LRT01 Power Unit.  I also ordered three static models for display.  Overall the price from Hobby Search was quite reasonable.  It worked out about $45 AUD per unit for the motorized versions and $15 AUD a tram for the static models.  I was impressed how fast Hobby Search got them to me.  They were sent on Friday and got to me Monday morning. 

The TM-LRT01 power unit runs smooth and does a good job.  It does not look out of place when fitted to the shell.  I've only run the units for a short time but everything seems to work fine  :grin.  Can't wait until the Kato units are available.  These Tomytec units will keep me going until the Kato units arrive!

A few photos of my Tomytec Toyama Light Rail on the test track.

Just got my confirmation that my order from HW was shipped, now the waiting.

Ours is here--a red one. Hope to get it together and try it this weekend...although it'll be on the main line, since there's no power to the tram line yet. :-)

Claude_Dreyfus

The red one has just arrived at my desk from japan Model Railways in Germany... Looks most impressive, and cannot wait to get home for a more detailed investigation. Now for the big question; do I need another one, two, three......?

The red one has just arrived at my desk from japan Model Railways in Germany... Looks most impressive, and cannot wait to get home for a more detailed investigation. Now for the big question; do I need another one, two, three......?

Claude it's an addiction, you start with one and then you want more and more and .......

Claude_Dreyfus

Claude it's an addiction, you start with one and then you want more and more and .......

Not helped by the fact our club layout, which at long last should have some work starting on soon, is urban and will have a tram line!

My one comes with the separate motor, which I will fit when I have some time...

post-141-13569923170175_thumb.jpg

post-141-13569923170482_thumb.jpg

Got to see Dmitry's today at the JRM monthly meeting, or rather the TomyTec motors. they are pretty decent sized. After looking closer at his, I regretted parting with mine already. :(

Now that some of you have received your Tomytec Portram trams, how are they?

Any issues? Are they making you want to by more?  Do you plan to make trams a bigger part of your layout

Martijn Meerts

I haven't run them yet, no layout ;)

If it comes to looks, they look real nice. Obviously the entire interior is gone after installing the motor unit. Need to add headlights (and possibly taillights) at some point as well.

I already have the other 4 bodies on order (no motor units this time), and I recently also got the special storage case, which stores 8 trams. The funny thing is that the 8th "slot" is filled with a non-painted body ;)

Argh ... mine still hasn't arrived from hwjapan.

This is what happens when I try to save money and ship SAL  :sad:

Mine hasn't arrived either, but I knew it would take longer to ship. Is there anyway to track SAL?