JNS Forum World Tour 2018 - Discussion

Pauljag900

Got your Microsol and microset? The ribs of the containers really need it to get the decals draped into the depressions well. I purposely chose a container type without ribs on the big side to minimize the undulations the larger decals would need to make.

Unfortunately the make your own decals backing is a bit thicker than silkscreen printed decals and have the sealing coat of acrylic to keep the inkjet from running off so they are a bit stiffer overall. But using the microset helped get it started as poked down as possible and then follingneith some micro sol applications helped get everything as flat and even as possible and the edges as invisible as possible. Does take some tedious time and the little mascara wands help a lot to just keep gently tamping the decals down into the depressions. I start from the center rib valley and work out to each side. Good thing about the heartier decal backing is you don’t have to worry about things disintegrating as much as with thin, delicate decals.

They look fine from a distance w.o the microsol/microset but really does help for closer up pictures.

jeff

• Like 1

I ve got a couple of choices for the car but I m thinking about the ribbed effect of them so I m seriously considering mounting them to clear acetate then just glueing the whole thing to the car. I ll make the decision when it arrives.

If you can go with the flattest is the best. I would try it on the car directly, it would look a lot better than on acetate. The decals go on well by themselves you just need to spend some time pushing out bubbles and tamping into the valleys. 

Swabs and these makeup applicators work well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50Pcs-New-Disposable-Lip-Lipstick-Gloss-Applicator-Makeup-Tool-Brush-A39/282863972907?hash=item41dc01b22b%3Ag%3Ar9QAAOSwGG5aJ1VB&_nkw=applicator+50&_sacat=0&_from=R40&LH_BIN=1&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313&LH_TitleDesc=0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50PC-Disposable-Eyeliner-Brush-Eyeshadow-Applicator-Eyes-Makeup-Cosmetic-Tool/113178687143?hash=item1a59f9b6a7%3Ag%3AFDcAAOSwQDhbYWbn&_nkw=applicator+50&_sacat=0&_from=R40&LH_BIN=1&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313&LH_TitleDesc=0

You can probably get these at your local makeup supply place.

if anyone screws up on their decals, no worries just take another set from the box or contact me and I can mail you more. 

Cheers

jeff

51 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Got your Microsol and microset?

I'll have to research these products. What I have is gloss, matt and pearl finish clear coat. I've already given a gloss coat. Was planning a matt after applying decals? Will this work or would it be better using specific procucts.

I don't mind buying products, as I'm sure I'll be doing more of this and would liek to get the technique as "right" as possible.

I'll go get some mascara brushes and some funny looks at the local pharmacy.

• Like 1

For what it’s worth I ve only used decals once before and I used matt over the top,actually I think I may have told you that before,if so,apologies.

jeffs probably get answering this I guess😂😂😂that said I had the layout in a very damp cheap shed and they survived for two years until I sold it. 

Theses products help in applying the decal and getting it to smoothly follow all the surface details. You can then apply what ever finish clear coat you want. The clear coat then also helps blend the decal to the surface and hide the edges some as well. There is also a clear acrylic paint on you get if you want to get really fine and add a little fillet along the decal edge!

microset you paint on the surface you are applying the decal to. This helps wet the surface well to prevent bubbles and it also softens the drcal backing a tad to help it shut down on the surface details better than just plopping the decal on.

the microset you apply after the decal is on. It basically softens the decal backing so you can use the swabs and such to stretch the decal over surface details better. You can just paint it on the areas you want to work on and then just tamp away carefully. Let it dry and repeat if needed until its how you like it. It even works on the inkjet decals where you apply the clear acrylic coat over the decal to seal the ink from running when soaked. It does not soften as much or as fast as on standard decals (usually silk screen printed and not clear coated I think), but it works and you don’t have to be quite as careful. The Microsol can cause the decal to pucker some as well when working with it (again not as much of this with the heavier coated inkjet decals) but as it dries this goes away as the decal sucks back down onto the surface. Biggest issue with regular decals is applying a lot of micro sol and being too aggressive with your tamping and tearing the softened decal. I’ve only ever done this once and it was my fault just slipping and pushing the decal instead of tamping.

with the big container ribs (the one I used only had these on the ends of the container with the little decals) makeup swabs I found tamping at an angle and rolling the tip thru the valley at the same time gave the best effect.

pretty cheap, like $5 at your LHS and it will last you for ever. Does not seem to go bad, my current bottles have been in use for over 10 years!

usually best to apply the decal to a gloss, semi gloss, or satin coat as a smooth surface for the decal to totally suck down onto. On flat surfaces the decal can kind of give a foggy appearance as it’s not totally sitting flat on the rougher, flat coat surface. Microsol can help this, but never make it quite as good as going onto a smooth surface finish. You can then apply what ever finish clear coat in the end. For container cars flat/matte clear would probably be the most prototypical. Weathering usually the best on the final surface (some don’t apply well to glossier surfaces) unless the weathering materials require a clear coat to seal them. Many like doc O’Brien’s powders don’t require clear coating but others like chalks, pastels, makeups do require clear coating or any handling can smear them.

decals are like soldering. They seem daunting, but it’s mainly practice and a tiny bit of art, but you pick that up with practice.

cheers

jeff

• Thanks 2

Picked up the parcel today at the post office after returning from vacation.  I will try to get all my bits done by Monday and mail it along.

• Like 2
On 8/16/2018 at 7:19 AM, maihama eki said:

Picked up the parcel today at the post office after returning from vacation.  I will try to get all my bits done by Monday and mail it along.

Hi buddy,

just checking but is the car still with you? No problem just checking where it is mate,

paul

Hi Paul,

I shipped it to defor on Aug 21 and it was delivered to his address on Aug 23.  I haven't heard from him, but he said he was going to Japan.  I don't know how long he was going to be there.  I just sent him a personal message.

Don 

Hi Don,

no worries mate,yes I think you e right about him being on holiday.

are you posting any pics of it while it was in your poession?👍😀😀

regards,

paul

Don,

appologies buddy,I ve got completely mixed up here with the members,of course you ve posted it on,sorry mate.

paul

Edited by Pauljag900
5 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

It’s from Miniatur Wunderland. A fun place to visit. 

Ah cool.  My daughter and I are going to Germany in 2010 -- mostly a reunion in Munich -- but I want to go to Berlin and Hamburg on a couple day trip.  ONe reason for Hamburg was to hit that place.  All still in the planning stage of course.

Thanks!

41 minutes ago, chadbag said:

Ah cool.  My daughter and I are going to Germany in 2010 -- mostly a reunion in Munich -- but I want to go to Berlin and Hamburg on a couple day trip.  ONe reason for Hamburg was to hit that place.  All still in the planning stage of course.

Thanks!

I'm guessing you mean 2020, unless you own a Delorean with some special modifications. Berlin was fantastic. I'd go back again and again. Hamburg was so so, but Wonderland was amazing. 

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

I'm guessing you mean 2020, unless you own a Delorean with some special modifications. Berlin was fantastic. I'd go back again and again. Hamburg was so so, but Wonderland was amazing. 

I typed 2020, but my computer mis-read my mind 🙂

I was in Berlin and Hamburg for about a day each in 1990.   Back then, both were really interesting.  Hamburg was nice as I had a personal set of tour guides I had met on the internet in an old Atari ST Turbo Pascal newsgroup on the internet who met me at the train station (from Berlin) and took the day to show me everything, fed me, and saw me off to Copenhagen at 11pm...  Of course, Berlin after the wall, pre-unification was a really interesting place. I spent 2 nights and a day and a half staying with someone I knew and also spending 1/2 day in E Berlin.

The main draw for Hamburg this time was the Miniatur Wunderland.  Berlin is just because.

IMG_0788.JPG

ETA:  Both kids are about 5 feet taller now -- this was April 2017 in Los Angeles at some big mall parking garage.

Edited by chadbag
  • Haha 1
44 minutes ago, chadbag said:

IMG_0788.JPG

ETA:  Both kids are about 5 feet taller now -- this was April 2017 in Los Angeles at some big mall parking garage.

Gotta love those "Made in Ireland" cars. Wait..this is the only one....boo

• Like 1

Ack, sorry- I was sick most of last week WHILE working 16+ hour days, and didn't have time to find out what happened with the package even though it was on the list of To-Do items!

It seems that the package WAS delivered while I was on vacation, and it's been waiting in a bin at my work while the mail manager was on vacation. Received the package today, will be getting photos ASAP, and sending it on its merry way this week!!!

Many apologies for the delays!

• Like 2

I've been unable to reach mry1210 -

Does anyone have alternate contact info?

I've had the car ready to send for a while now 🤔

It appears that they haven't read my messages either?

If preferred, I can send to gavino200 and we can loop mry1210 back into the loop if needed?

I can email him directly if you want, but maybe best to get it Gavin and then he can shoot it back to mry. What do you think Paul? I could email him and give him a day or two and the. If no response shoot it to Gavin.

jeff

Hi Gents,

i think it probably best to see if you can contact him direct first,purely because Gavin has kindly agreed to suffer the larger cost of the post on to Europe,if he posts on to mry1210 then has to recieved it back then it’s a bit unfair on Gavin to then also post on to Europe.Personally I d give him till weekend to respond to your email Jeff then if no reply from him then it can go on to Gavin then on to Europe as planned and then it can call at mry1210 when it returns to the USA.

That s only my suggestion tho Gents,if anyone thinks differently then that’s fine also.

paul

Hi jeff,

ok buddy thanks. Is that ok do you think Jeff.? Either way he wo nt miss out,just means it ll be a while before it gets to him👍👍😀

Paul