JNS Forum World Tour 2018 - Discussion

Pauljag900

We re going to come up with some ideas then once we know who wants to be involved we can work out an order in which to send it to keep costs down,but yes,what you say makes perfect sense IST,keep it on one continent at a time.

Hi gents,

with regards to getting this project going a few of us have come up with a plan of action.

jeff has kindly agreed to donate a small box car and will also decorate it by applying the transfers.The reason being,it’s cheap,small and light so will keep postage costs down.This is the design we decided on,

04077FE5-2F58-496C-B1F1-1D0E8AF8453D.jpeg.35f9fe3bb0812e0ec03664cac71550fa.jpeg

This will be placed in a box that jeff has also supplied along with extra transfers for each member to take two of each as a momentum or to decorate one of their own cars.

It has also been sugested that each member apply a postage stamp from their country to the box as it travels the world.

It was also sugested that we could each put a comment card in the box but that’s optional and up to the individual if they want to.

something like this,

DD7AD88E-5315-4FC0-904F-DFCC39286F9F.thumb.jpeg.9f3d6848557cc0ec5c6683f1cadc8c60.jpeg

The concept is to recieve the parcel,photograph it on your layout or just with one of your own Trains,post it on the forum stating your own location,take two each of the transfers for yourselves,add in your own comments(optional) then post on to the next member.

Once we know who wants to take part a set route can be determined to try and keep the postage costs down.Obviously it will start in USA with jeff and then to any other members from the USA, from there it will be determined once we have the list of participants.

In addition I intend to purchase a world map poster and record its journey and at the end I will post it on the forum,or email it to individuals to keep or print off but if any other member wants to do this then it’s fine by me.

The intention is for Jeff to kick it all off in two weeks time,15/02/2018.That should be enough time to make your decision and to plan it’s route.

Here s hoping you can all join in this bit of fun,anyone wishing to participate can either personal message me here or by email at

pauljag900@yahoo.co.uk

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THERE WILL BE POSTAGE CHARGES AND IN SOME CASES IMPORT FEES, the package is relatively small and light so these should be minimal,also if we mark the parcel as GIFT it will reduce the risk of these.Obviously this will only apply when posting to another country.

hope to hear from you all soon👍👍😀😀

paul

Sounds really fun! Thanks to Paul for starting this and Jeff for donating the wagon and transfers!

Would the container be coming to South East Asia?   :P 

5 hours ago, katoftw said:

Will the transfers be small enough to fit on the side of containers?

Hi Kato,

jeff is in charge of the stickers so I ll ask him later,but I m sure he will sort something for you no problem,he ll no doubt see this post anyway.

Either way I ll let you know ASAP..

paul.

4 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Sounds really fun! Thanks to Paul for starting this and Jeff for donating the wagon and transfers!

Hi Sammy,

there s no restrictions on distance buddy,if you put your name on the list it will get there.The more places and countries the better mate👍👍😀

When the car gets to Japan, we'll have the member take it AmiAmi and have it shipped with your monthly order. :)

• Haha 2
9 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

Hi Sammy,

there s no restrictions on distance buddy,if you put your name on the list it will get there.The more places and countries the better mate👍👍😀

YES! The wagon can fly the SG flag proudly! 

8 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

When the car gets to Japan, we'll have the member take it AmiAmi and have it shipped with your monthly order. :)

haha that's a good one! just worried ami might take it and sell it off as an exclusive item... 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

04077FE5-2F58-496C-B1F1-1D0E8AF8453D.jpeg.35f9fe3bb0812e0ec03664cac71550fa.jpeg

I just have a couple of small suggestions to pimp up the dull white box car - Jeff can you please weather the car just a tad, maybe blackened the wheels or better yet replace with spoked wheels and replace those hideous rapido couplers.  This little guy is going around the world after all. Thank you. :)

Shouldn't replace couplers.  By using rapido couplers, it keeps it universal for working with all makes of manufacturers.

One can of course do whatever the like to the box car while in the possession, then return it back to original condition before sending it on.

• Like 2

Sure fine to weather. I don’t have any spoked wheels to go with it though, but if someone has them and wants to replace them along the way great. 

As dor couplers we would need to figure out which ones to use as I’m sure the there is the range out there in use and as kato notes rapid is pretty universal for running. But for just car by itself others would be preferred. I’ll look at the coupler pocket on these and see how easy it is for folks to pop their own versions in for their stops.

Cheers,

jeff

• Thanks 1

I have replacement wheels and couplers, I can throw them on (or in the box) when they make it out west if someone hasn't already done so.  I can also add a spot of weathering if someone hasn't already.  

How about changing one of the couplers? Rapido one one end - Knuckle on the other. That'll make it usable by everyone. 

I used to obsessively change out rapido couplers. But I've started to like how much more reliable the Rapidos are. I've literally never seen a pair of rapido coupled cars uncouple. These days everything that comes with rapidos stays with rapidos.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

There's one of those old Union Pacific "Big Boy"s near me. I could bring the little feller over there and introduce it. 

Oh sweet, that would be pretty cool!

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Shouldn't replace couplers.  By using rapido couplers, it keeps it universal for working with all makes of manufacturers.

One can of course do whatever the like to the box car while in the possession, then return it back to original condition before sending it on.

I agree that the rapidos would be universal.

• Like 1

Gents,

i ve got very limited goods cars,most of my trains are passenger,the goods Trains I have are all rapido and I m sure there are other people out there in the same situation that may not be capable of changing them.

at best gavinos idea of one of each is best.

paul

Edited by Pauljag900
On 1/30/2018 at 5:01 AM, katoftw said:

Will the transfers be small enough to fit on the side of containers?

Sorry missed this one, yes that’s the hope, trying to make search side just small enough if possible so folks can either split the two pieces of art onto two sides of a 12 foot container or just make up another freight wagon if they want their own to keep.

hoping folks will decorate a 1/4 piece of A4 paper (us or iso) with their info (Paul will provide info that would be nice) to add for each stop. Get creative and local on it if you want, it can be an interesting little sort of rr stamp book of the cars travels. Also if you want put a local small demominarion stamp on the shipping box itself (we have a sturdy one and just asking folks to wrap the box in shipping paper to send on rather than new boxes all the time) to sort of give it the old steamer trunk feel with exotic destinations on it! 

Cheers,

jeff

• Like 1
On 1/30/2018 at 10:54 AM, serotta1972 said:

Ha! Maybe we should send it to all the main exporters and they can take a picture of the car with their staff and backroom piles high with model rr treasures! 

Im going to see if I can get our sister club in iwate to participate.

jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Ha! Maybe we should send it to all the main exporters and they can take a picture of the car with their staff and backroom piles high with model rr treasures! 

Im going to see if I can get our sister club in iwate to participate.

jeff

Jeff, if David and Nariichi could participate that would be a great idea and a bit of free advertising too👍😀

also the sister club would be great mate.

paul

Hi everyone,

As previously mentioned it is intended for the world tour to be started by Jeff on 15th February 2018,2weeks from today.

Can everybody who wants to take part please confirm by next Thursday ,8th February 2018,by a personal message to me on here or by email,

pauljag900@yahoo.co.uk

Khia66(sam) is going to plan it’s route and this will give him some time to work it out,Obviously we can t do it until we know who s taking part.

The contents of the box will be,

1. The decorated box car.

2. Spare sets of transfers.

3.Spare couplers.

4.Instruction sheet.

The extra transfers are for members to take for their own use.

The car is likely to be left with the standard rapido couplers on it but spare ones will be in the box should anyone wish to change them.If so can we please change them back before posting on.Thanks.

Not wishing to insult anyone’s intelligence but an instruction sheet will travel in the box just for reference should anyone not be sure what to do next.

thanks everyone,

paul9EE16184-1783-4106-BBF0-16C52FAD2FB1.thumb.jpeg.6ba50df50256b8738837c1f6c245fe5d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Great job Paul san and Jeff san! This is going to be interesting! 

Are you in sammy? Shall I put your name on the list as a definite.?

paul

2 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

Are you in sammy? Shall I put your name on the list as a definite.?

paul

sure! Would be very fun to! though it might cost others  fair lot more, shipping over to South East Asia and all... if the others dont mind...