JR West announces end of 500 EVA Shinkansen on 13 May 2018

Yavianice

http://nlab.itmedia.co.jp/nl/articles/1801/19/news117.html (Japanese)

At first JR West said that it would run until "Spring 2018" but now a final date is set for the operation of the 500 Shinkansen series in EVA colors.

So if you still want to go, you only have a few months left to do so. Fortunately, I was able to catch it during my trip to Japan last Christmas, when I made this picture at Shin-Kurashiki station.

IMG_1652.JPG

Edited by Yavianice
  • Like 4
The Next Station Is...

Sad news, but it's inevitable that it had to come to an end. I wonder if there'll be any future themed shinkansen; it's hard to imagine which franchise could be next though. Would Pokémon be too obvious a choice?

I'm sadly not surprised. Once JR West phased out the 500 Series Shinkansen on the Nozomi runs in 2010, it was only a matter of time before they finally retired it, especially since the N700 Series original developed for JR Central (and adopted by JR West) had roomier interiors, could go just as fast as a 500, had better acceleration, and could "tilt" in the sharper curves of the Tokaidō Shinkansen line between Mishima and Tokyo Stations.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if JR West modifies one of the Hikari Rail Star 700 Series trainsets to the Evangelion livery as a replacement, though.

On 1/22/2018 at 7:43 AM, Sacto1985 said:

I'm sadly not surprised. Once JR West phased out the 500 Series Shinkansen on the Nozomi runs in 2010, it was only a matter of time before they finally retired it, especially since the N700 Series original developed for JR Central (and adopted by JR West) had roomier interiors, could go just as fast as a 500, had better acceleration, and could "tilt" in the sharper curves of the Tokaidō Shinkansen line between Mishima and Tokyo Stations.

500 series isn't going anywhere yet, JRW are retiring the 500 EVA version.  Which isn't a surprise since the last Plarail 500 had a 2 year contact also.

We'll know when they finally drop the 500s, as they'll have to introduce a newer model shinkansen and drop the N700-7000s/8000s to Kodama services.

And I'm sure the fanfare would require the 500 series shinkansen to go out with a big bang.  So I'm sure the marketing gurus at JRW are well aware of this.  So they aren't gonna just let it be phased out with notice.

Edited by katoftw
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 5:43 AM, Sacto1985 said:

However, I wouldn't be surprised if JR West modifies one of the Hikari Rail Star 700 Series trainsets to the Evangelion livery as a replacement, though.

Oh dear... that would mean another model and more money to be spent....

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf

I missed out on riding it when we were there in April as it was undergoing maintenance at the time, mind you my son and I took a ride on a V set in the classic livery which was still just as special.

On 1/23/2018 at 4:20 AM, JR 500系 said:

Oh dear... that would mean another model and more money to be spent....

I don't see how this is a bad thing, at least for me. I love the 500 series! Hope they make another cool livery ;)

On 1/23/2018 at 9:34 AM, Das Steinkopf said:

I missed out on riding it when we were there in April as it was undergoing maintenance at the time, mind you my son and I took a ride on a V set in the classic livery which was still just as special.

Yes. As only 3 cars (1 of which is the cockpit area) of the EVA shinkansen are in special livery/with special decorations. The rest is just like an ordinary V set.

On 22.1.2018 at 11:53 PM, katoftw said:

We'll know when they finally drop the 500s, as they'll have to introduce a newer model shinkansen and drop the N700-7000s/8000s to Kodama services.

Not really. There are more than enough 700 series sets, which have largely been downgraded to Kodama services already. When I was in Japan during the summer of 2016, 700 series Shinkansen were not an uncommon sight on Hikari services. But this winter Hikari services were largely dominated by N700 as well. Removing some 8 cars per set shouldn't be a problem.

And a newer model Shinkansen has already been announced with the N700S.

The 500 series has also always been a bit of an unloved child by JR West, as well as (especially) business travellers, anyway.

Edited by Suica
7 hours ago, Suica said:

The 500 series has also always been a bit of an unloved child by JR West, as well as (especially) business travellers, anyway.

Interesting, I knew that JR West didn't like them due to their expensive maintenance, but why did passengers not like them?

The 500 series has a round profile which robs quite some space inside the cabin, compared to the square profile of other Shinkansen series.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, katoftw said:

Sanyo Kodama services using 16 car 700 series shinkansen?  Hmmm?

Said who, where? Thank you very much for enriching the community with essential comments like this all the time. 

Suica, you said it a few post up that 700s where being used for Kodama services.  Since the convo was about V unit 500-7000 shinkansen possible replacement, I'm sure the line were where talking about was the Sanyo shinkansen line.  Hence my comment about 700s being kodama services.  Maybe I misunderstood you, or maybe you could explain a little further in detail.

As for the rest of you post, I don't require a childish commented i-fight with you mate.  I should have asked for further detail first about your comment of Sanyo Kodama services.

I didn't know this was still a thing.  We might have gone and made an effort to go ride it when we were there this past December...

I like the looks of a 500.   We rode a 500 Kodama service back around 2011.  Only time I was able to ride in one.

FYI post- there are currently 11 Kodama services (both up and down directions) using the 500 series.  The Eva decorated one seems to be used on one round trip daily.  Most 500 series services are concentrated on the Okayama-Hakata portion of the Sanyo Shinkansen line.

JR West website info:

timetable170304.pdf

Final day of the Eva livery on You Tube.

Video by  Cogmare model department

Video by o kz

Video by   Dr.YELLOW movie by charonzoom

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

Really kinda sad... and one of my biggest regret... not riding on this... my favourite train of all times in one of my favourite anime of all times.... 

Is the set going to be scraped, or is the wrappings and the theme car simply going to be removed and returned to normal?

Is the set going to be scraped, or is the wrappings and the theme car simply going to be removed and returned to normal?

Wrapping will be removed. I’m not sure if they will replace it with hello kitty or if the hello kitty will be a different set.
  • Thanks 1

I went to Hakata with that Shinkansen the last month of his final run.

The inside of this shinkansen was completely awesome.

Edited by alan_frost