People’s Republic of China N Scale trains

gavino200

ehm.. sorry, probably I lost something in translation, but......how many version they release at the same time? 7 ?  😨

I hope I misunderstood, otherwise is a little strange business model, how can a single collector buy all at the same time?   - excludind selling his ( ( ) ...

I still have a doubt if start another HST collection branch, I bought one Kunter "E2" the past year and maybe in the next months I add the other two released in the past weeks, one "short" Kunter 380 (still without the last f..ing add-on set), this CR400 is a little better because is a real new original train, but if released eg. a couple every 2-3 months would be more easy to complete the collection 😒  ... and I really hate the uncomplete collection....

This is the Chinese way, each model is released in several different versions at once. Locomotives are usually released in 10 to 15 versions, the CR400AF was to be released in 7 different versions and has now 8 with the addition of the Guangzhou to Hong Kong train.

The reservation announcement had a production matrix with the various formations and their particularities: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/wAPB9WqGa9W9pMPnaSG9Gg

For locomotives difference between each model in the same batch usually are printed details (running numbers, depot, warning signs), liveries as well as the number and position of other small details, like horns, ventilation grills, ac units, etc. As well as the inclusion of some very attractive etched headmarks, like Mao's bust.

Each different running number is usually produce in units of a 100.

Changming production model is not really made with collectors in mind, or perhaps designed to excessively drain their wallets. Locomotives are also usually released in "Blind boxes" which contains one model that is not released as a stand alone.

Apparently Changming also had a future product presentation recently in which they announced their coming production lineup, I'm quoting from Baidu:
Upcoming locomotive releases: DF4C, DF4D, HXD3B

Available later: SS8, SS7C

Considering the DF7G

Passenger car: 25B will be first to be produced

Consider reprinting HXD3C

Designing n-proportion track

Scheduling of CR400AF (now announced)

Edited by disturbman
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a lot @disturbman for this explanation, now is much clear

well, for me is insane but if it work for Changming I'm happy for it!

but is too far from my perspective, considering the price and the single shot order to place is better if I continue with Shinkansen and something else, buying 10-20 models at year is not a big trouble, but not every the same month 😋   (this week the number 126 and 127 are next to be released)

ciao!

Massimo

Admittedly, Changming did took that manner of producing to the extreme in N, all the others manufacturer did less variations at once.

You could do like @tripel7and only get one of each type of train. Or one of each livery types, CRH and Red Dragon. It would be more economical and sustainable.

On 3/18/2023 at 2:55 PM, cteno4 said:

@wongm looks fun, please start a topic in the layouts or Ttrak forum on your Hong Kong modules, would love to see more!

cheers

jeff

Thanks! Here's a link to my thread.

• Thanks 2
5 hours ago, disturbman said:

Admittedly, Changming did took that manner of producing to the extreme in N, all the others manufacturer did less variations at once.

You could do like @tripel7and only get one of each type of train. Or one of each livery types, CRH and Red Dragon. It would be more economical and sustainable.

To be fair, a whole bunch of models are the same  0207 unit during its development, and the others are regular units, but picked for being the first one to ride a certain route, so differences are likely pretty minimal

I'm kind of expecting only minor differences as well on the Red Dragon liveried formations, like stickers and destination boards. But who knows, maybe there are some small structural differences between the sets.

49 minutes ago, disturbman said:

I'm kind of expecting only minor differences as well on the Red Dragon liveried formations, like stickers and destination boards. But who knows, maybe there are some small structural differences between the sets.

me too, but that's what I would know before to sign my order 🤨   well, I think one whit blue stripe can be enough, for what I found just the car number change (BTW, for me all the system train classification is crazy, series and subseries, progressive numbers,  etc..)

anyway, somebody bought one of the static models? I talk about the 3 cars sets sold inside a plexy tube in a red casket

https://new.qq.com/rain/a/20200506a09gkb00

in the past it was more easy to find it one ebay (.com or HK), years ago I ordered one "plague doc mask" CRH380AM/CIT500, but cause pandemic trouble 😷 it was never delivered and I got a refund, somebody has been more lucky?

And while we wait for the CR400AF, two trains that helped kickstarted China's high speed rail, I especially love the quality of Changmings CRH5, but I've ridden the CRH2 in real life:

(and yeah, I just noticed the cathair on the CRH5) 

20230321_234347~2.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, the details are great on it. I also quite like the fully mat livery, it's quite unusual, but I don't think it's very prototypical.

On 3/22/2023 at 2:15 AM, jappomania said:

anyway, somebody bought one of the static models? I talk about the 3 cars sets sold inside a plexy tube in a red casket

https://new.qq.com/rain/a/20200506a09gkb00

I bought one of these models back in 2013 from the Beijing Railway Museum (Zhengyangmen Branch) gift shop - it's a CRH3 set CRH3-008C, box is branded Bachmann China, item number CTT0402.

PXL_20230322_204611617.jpg

PXL_20230322_204624807.jpg

• Thanks 1
Nick_Burman
4 hours ago, disturbman said:

I love that thing. If it was not HO, I would definitely get one.

Another staple of local and mining railways as they were often used to provide regular passenger services.

Cheers Nicholas

9 hours ago, drt7uk said:

I'm hoping Changming go on to release the CR400BF Golden Phoenix next!

It's been on their list since they announced they were moving into N, but no timeline given yet. Probably next year, and probably with a short reservation period too, like the CR400AF.

3 hours ago, disturbman said:

It's been on their list since they announced they were moving into N, but no timeline given yet. Probably next year, and probably with a short reservation period too, like the CR400AF.

That's great news! I'll ask my friend in Chengdu to keep an eye out for me. Do you think there is a chance they'll increase production, given that the demand for CR400AF has been so great?

I don't know, probably. All their new models that were released this year sold out instantly at release. And I think that's why they put the CR400AF on reservation first, to gauge interest and better plan production volume.

Edited by disturbman

After 3 years of absent due to an obvious reason, Beijing international hobby expo is finally here again. Trains are not the majority, but minitown and charming are nonetheless present.

Here’s minitown’s display, nothing worth noting here:
05054381-EDD5-4325-BB29-767B4BB31823.thumb.jpeg.0bf1b176c6c59169f7ac228f6e41dbea.jpeg

E350BF2F-0E13-4904-B2D4-5D1FBCB64CB3.thumb.jpeg.999af7547a8946dd47bf84d1f7acd341.jpeg

They sold some products here, including several sets of extremely rare tank cars. Their tank cars were available recently but sold out after literally 30 seconds on taobao. By the time I got there, all they have left was 2 sets of DF11Z locos.

Immediately next to them is a modular layout from a local hobby workshop:

32070FCD-CDFA-480D-B14E-5450715735A9.thumb.jpeg.1b883ab4a34c6ade480ff100e0af74fa.jpeg

DF51C6C3-B841-4A8E-8BE3-8612117C50CE.thumb.jpeg.38de2c2cce642c4e695a9f94ddd9f128.jpeg
Running trains are expensive (¥60 or ~$9 for 20 minutes…)

Charming is located on the other side of the building. They have both HO and N available for sale, some of them are obviously stock they couldn’t get rid of on taobao:

0925C22C-A4DD-44B6-A3B3-1359EDB4E1A5.thumb.jpeg.0a3c8f362f595f09baba82bdcac6b729.jpeg

They are trying to sell them at even higher price than on taobao. Not sure if that went well…

One of their recent new product DF4C diesel locos is available for view on the top right. This loco was also sold out within 5 minutes on taobao. The HXD3B electric locomotive is seen to its left. It’s probably coming soon if not next.

That’s pretty much all the n scale stuff here. There are some HO stuff and 1 scale stuff. Here’re some Chinese style scenery objects and display scenes for HO. They have a well decorated layout behind as well. Hopefully they would make some for N scale eventually…

B41D144C-D8B9-44C6-9D14-87219355314F.thumb.jpeg.a9bd39ac8807a94a7fcf7f4e774f4753.jpeg

Piko also made an appearance but doesn’t seem to have any N scale items:

E7E412AB-C409-46B1-8479-AE71A9EE03FC.thumb.jpeg.3c76bedf1f0d9b59b08e131137a0d454.jpeg

They did bring a set of their new PKP EN57 EMU:

06819AEF-D140-423E-9DB5-B03A66F2C401.thumb.jpeg.29e3265594740c5466ad0ffbe58e4d60.jpeg

There are a lot of other hobby related stuff as well, but this is pretty all the train stuff.

Edited by disturbman
  • Like 2
On 3/21/2023 at 1:28 AM, jappomania said:

how can a single collector buy all at the same time?

As disturbman mentioned most of them only differ slightly. Very few people actually collect all of them. It does provide a better chance for people to find a trainset from their hometown, which is quite important for some modelers.

By the way, Charming is making another attempt to sell 8K locomotives with improved pantograph and details installed. It’s not as popular as their other locos and is still available now, hours past 8pm already. 

I was surprised by the announcement, as I don't think the first run ever sold out. I supposed they updated the leftovers and added a couple more models, notably the ones with the headmarks to boost interest.

In and all, I think the 8K is just too expensive for the market, plus, iirc, each half of the mode is motorized, which can quickly become a problem when running DC. It's however a very interesting machine, but maybe another of the double locomotives would have been more successful, or have a stronger following in China than the 8K.

Edited by disturbman

HI ! @Nozomi329

thanks for your reply, in the meantime I tried to find more infos and photos about the real train and like you and @tripel7 wrote,  at the end the 0207 is the same train in 3 different version (Blue CRH logo near the front door, CR small logo at the car end and RED livery) so at the end I put on pre-order the first so maybe if the B prototype will be release I can join both like in the first test runs

the other 4-5 are the same train (all 3 windows) with just with a different car number, like you told probably most pepole will buy the train that connect his city, I put on  pre-order the Hong-Kong set, but just because I have the Kato KTT, no more reasons, one or another was the same

(one blue and one red like @disturbman suggest 😋)

the car number difference is not enough also for me for collecting all the Shinkansen, well... Ok.. I bought 5-6 200 K47, but all with some more difference 😜

Ciao!

Massimo

Edited by jappomania
part about books removed...
  • Thanks 1
Nozomi329
On 4/22/2023 at 5:14 AM, disturbman said:

I think the 8K is just too expensive for the market

It probably has a smaller market, since the real loco was used only in Beijing-Datong area.

Apart from that, if anyone is in need for modern freight power, Charming's N scale HXD3B locomotive is coming on Friday: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/JomFTGFXSPFZsJE9I0dV3A