People’s Republic of China N Scale trains

gavino200

2 hours ago, Nozomi329 said:

The same is for their recent DF4B, which was announced 4 hours before sale begin and gone probably within 5 minutes

At least I got a Military Police one, thought I actually wanted an Orange 😕

1 hour ago, roadstar_na6 said:

a Military Police one

The green version Minitown made this time is the "watermelon" with dark green body and white bands. "MP" is dark green body with yellow bands, which was not made by Minitown. Charming made all three versions and even the JinWen Rail version. 

Speaking of the orange (which just has the nickname "mandarin orange"), if you're not that concerned about accuracy and quality, you may wait for a few days and see if Charming has any returned stock coming up. Charming's DF4B are cheaper but less accurate, although you won't really notice the inaccuracy unless you have photos of the real things next to it. Looking at what Chinese modelers reported, there is a not small chance that one end up with a model with noticeable parting lines on the cab front. There's also a third brand looking to make DF4B models, but that probably won't come out soon

2 hours ago, Sheffie said:

they are almost impossible to buy

That's the case with most Chinese models in recent years. The problem is, if these Chinese models are priced too high, they lose sales in China, but if they are priced too low, the factories don't want to make them due to small profit comparing to making American/European orders. Not a friendly world...

3 hours ago, Nozomi329 said:

Charming's DF4B are cheaper but less accurate, although you won't really notice the inaccuracy unless you have photos of the real things next to it. Looking at what Chinese modelers reported, there is a not small chance that one end up with a model with noticeable parting lines on the cab front. There's also a third brand looking to make DF4B models, but that probably won't come out soon

We got the Changming ones, it was already hard to get any, Minitown would have been impossible.

I would say most of the pictures posted on TB show no parting lines, I hope I/we can avoid such a defect. It's seems to be on almost all colors. The details look great, the printing is clear, the handrails are metal, the only really noticeable inaccuracy is the placement of the lights, and I am happy they changed their packaging. At this point, they need a better QC.

Never thought this could have happened, but I found these in Japan:

20221224202058.thumb.jpg.dee4c4aed3944b2256849fa05316c23a.jpg

They the most accurate N scale representation of these locos so far, although there's still room for further improvement.

The green one is a freight version (geared for max speed 100km/h) from Shanghai. The orange is passenger version (120km/h) from Beijing. They have some minor difference in detail.

20221224202259.thumb.jpg.bf27f4bccc44e2b2579a9f8c115033ae.jpg

20221224202237.thumb.jpg.0d25766a3a17d8c7bf8a484abc3ad4a6.jpg

20221224202247.thumb.jpg.53a8b53ca131b6294d2a322e3d563707.jpg

They have the normal detailing level of Minitown including metal handrails and air hoses. The gap between the fuel tank and the car body is visible just as the real thing:

20221224202156.thumb.jpg.2be8edcff0d38414482ccbeca6f8228c.jpg

And they've included 2 bogie inspection lights on each side of every bogie. Difficult to see them in daylight though.

20221224202215.thumb.jpg.b4b7239df011f3a6284ceb534fd0620d.jpg

One of the most difficult feature for DF4B model is the head contours. This time Minitown is more eye-pleasing, but still not the most accurate. It's easier to see the difference when comparing to the real thing:

DSC08166.thumb.JPG.3546fa5ec8f949a1efd366665029b3d4.JPG

20221224202120.thumb.jpg.8aa7374992b301a5b39612de2c61e724.jpg

20221224211622.thumb.jpg.f8009154317098dcf04a866ba94865af.jpg

DSC08165.thumb.JPG.6784ca4822e37542f64dcaaf21295057.JPG

The windshield just need a bit more angle.

Anyways, of the 5 Chinese brands that announced DF4B, 3 of them has delivered. It's now for Kunter and Aurora miniature to challenge the title of "best N scale DF4B". Kunter has made the announcement but nothing more came up. Aurora is known for the best and most accurate HO scale DF4B design, although weirdly facing severe issue with mass production.

Edited by Nozomi329
  • Like 2

I read a lot of complaints about the QC of these. I also had a bad experience with my previous Minitown DF8, as the shell was bending downwards at the cabs and the motor was very grindy. You didn’t notice any defects on your DF4s? Chinese modellers can be a bit demanding and it’s hard to get a good vision of how good or bad a model really is.

Anyway, good find.

5 hours ago, disturbman said:

any defects on your DF4s

The green one is fine. The orange came with a loose handrail and a missing antenna:

20221225113856.thumb.jpg.d027747ad4c6e9fd4f67ce870ad0e7f5.jpg

The handrail was found in the box and easily installed:

20221225113846.thumb.jpg.113eb824e1a901422e028fd480679cab.jpg

The missing antenna was not so lucky. Couldn't find it anywhere and will probably ask the dealer to see if replacement is possible.

20221225113905.thumb.jpg.83a834f01fb27bdf28d0fc6021102191.jpg

7 hours ago, disturbman said:

shell was bending downwards at the cabs and the motor was very grindy

From what I've seen Minitown has been generally helpful with QC issues if possible within China. @ND5-2had a duplicate car in his BSP25T set and Minitown offered a replacement shell of the correct car, however it was shipped to a transfer center in China and later to the US with many other items. You may try asking your dealer and see what they can do, most likely they'll provide you the contact info of Minitown personnel.

The motor is probably just what it is. Minitown is not known for the best motor, and I'm surprised to find "Continuous operation may lead to fire" in their instruction manual.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Nozomi329 said:

I'm surprised to find "Continuous operation may lead to fire" in their instruction manual.

That is both funny and worrying.

I sold the model a while back so I don't need to worry about trying to get a new shell. Though I tried to contact them twice via the email they gave on their website and never received an answer.

1 hour ago, disturbman said:

Though I tried to contact them twice via the email they gave on their website and never received an answer.

They might be in Nuremberg in February; you can try asking them there.

Hi,

I've been collecting high speed trains from all over the world in N scale, I prefer to have them with the same amount of cars as the real ones, as is obvious from this tread Chinese HST's are a bit hard to find, I did manage to get Kunters recent newest iteration of the CRH2, I've been eyeing the CRH1, I've found a place that sells them for a decent price, however, these are the four car versions, are there packs with the additional 4 carriages sold somewhere, or is there a place that still sells the CRH1 with 8 cars? 

You might be able to find one on eBay or TaoBao for a markup. Changming only has the expansions for CRH1A-1100 and -1021 for sale on its official TaoBao store. But they still have a few 8-car CRH5s, https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a312a.7700824.w4002-15904113657.57.41055d83R3q8Kq&id=655322938533. You will have to use a proxy service like Superbuy to order it.

Edited by disturbman
  • Thanks 1

Just a note that Charming's HXD3D locomotive is coming on Friday: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/dfLR-Sgtac1V1locKO-lFQ

This is one of the newest generation of Chinese passenger locomotives, developed by CRRC Dalian based on Bombardier TRAXX and Toshiba technology. while designed for higher speed trains (160km/h), China Railway recently finds themselves a surplus of passenger locomotives, so these locos are used on slower services as well.

11 hours ago, Nozomi329 said:

so these locos are used on slower services as well.

With double-decker coaches?

edit: Answer is yes.

Edited by disturbman
Nick_Burman

Not being particularly interested in PRC trains I don't follow this discussion, however I have a question, has anyone come out with an N scale KF60 side-dump gondola? These were/are a staple of Chinese mines and steelworks. I would be interested in a few were they to exist in N scale as the prototype was a dead copy of a Gregg Company-built car of the 1930's and thus useful in other circunstances.

Cheers Nicholas

On 3/16/2023 at 3:31 PM, Nick_Burman said:

N scale KF60

I'm not aware of any. Chinese N scale market just hasn't grown to that level yet.

Nick_Burman
1 hour ago, Nozomi329 said:

I'm not aware of any. Chinese N scale market just hasn't grown to that level yet.

So I have noticed from that FB page @disturbman gave the address of. Rather a pity, as CMR Line has made them in HO scale.

Cheers Nicholas

We can let you know if they never get released in N. The Chinese N market is still in its infancy and only one manufacturer has been really active, releasing many new models in relatively small quantities. The older ones have been relatively quiet and there are a couple of new entrants. As the market grow, one manufacturer might decide to release these.

Here's a photo of my Hong Kong N scale layout I've put together, part of a T-Trak display exhibited in Melbourne, Australia recently.

Locomotive is a Del Prado DF4D static model running on a Kato SD-40 mechanism, train is a 6-car long set of 25T carriages by Kunter, "tong lau" buildings and Hong Kong buses are from the 1:150 scale range released by 80M Bus Model Shop over the years.

Right not I've only got a one "triple" length T-Trak module, currently building more to assemble a larger Hong Kong scene. Also on the way are more local locomotives and rolling stock!

Hong Kong N scale in T-Trak.jpg

Edited by wongm
  • Like 5
On 3/14/2023 at 11:36 PM, tripel7 said:

KHAHO listed them available for pre-order here

A deposit is required of 300 HKD (approx 35 euro)

The item will cost around 1700 HKD (approx 205 euro). Price is not final yet. When you pre-order you get a 200 HKD discount on the final price (approx 23 euro)

If your country is not listed for delivery, pick Hong Kong In Store pickup, and write in the comments to which country you want it shipped to. 

Store staff can speak english and is available on Whatsapp with a very quick response time. 

5 hours ago, wongm said:

Here's a photo of my Hong Kong N scale layout

@wongm looks fun, please start a topic in the layouts or Ttrak forum on your Hong Kong modules, would love to see more!

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

Maybe it’s less chaotic for them. But they haven’t asked me yet.

The reservations for the CR400AF are closed. Changing was overwhelmed by the demand and had to close it after only one day. The reservation period was to be open for two weeks. They will be reviewing production numbers.