German Intercity (IC) and other train models.

gavino200

2 hours ago, Yavaris Forge said:

1997 was the last year with regular post services by rail in Germany.

Interesting.  I didn't realize that.  How does the mail get around the country now?

1 hour ago, chadbag said:

Interesting.  I didn't realize that.  How does the mail get around the country now?

Like most places nowadays - mainly by long-distance truck.

• Thanks 2

Thanks, Squid, that was interesting.   I still find it hard to believe that Munich-Hamburg and longer stretches like that are more cost effectively done with trucks, but they know their business better than I do.

(Yes I did watch the whole thing).

• Like 2
Yavaris Forge
11 hours ago, Yavaris Forge said:

1997 was the last year with regular post services by rail in Germany.

I have to correct myself on that, actually. There still is a so called Parcel InterCity operated by DB Cargo without Deutsche Post but with DHL and some other companies. It is in fact the fastest regular cargo train in Germany at 140km/h. It consists of conatiner wagons so there are no "original" post wagons involved. It's operation schedule can be compared to the japanese M250 Super Rail Cargo as both start in the late evening and arrive in the early morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This just arrived today. I love it. Though, I must say the panto does seem a bit huge. Waiting to receive two blue 1st class coaches. Then my multi colored Epoch III Train will be complete. 🙂

1x1lYyB.jpg?1

qHBgMMA.jpg

7 hours ago, chadbag said:

@gavino200  What is the Fleischmann part number?   It kind  of looks familiar 🙂

You mean the model number for the loco? It's 734104. I'll see if I can find the part number for the pantograph later if that's what you're asking. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, gavino200 said:

You mean the model number for the loco? It's 734104. I'll see if I can find the part number for the pantograph later if that's what you're asking. 

You answered the question. 

Euro pantographs (on the models) tend to be oversized as they are active -- you can adjust the to get power over the wire instead of track.  So they are oversized to be reliable as I understand it.

• Like 1
roadstar_na6

Exactly, there are some german models that can get their energy from the pantos. My H0 Märklin one has a huge switch on the bottom where that can be changed

• Like 1
15 hours ago, gavino200 said:

This just arrived today. I love it. Though, I must say the panto does seem a bit huge. 🙂

The pantographs on the real thing do certainly seem to be larger all round than the pantographs used in Japan.

• Like 1

Multicolored Epoch III train complete. Well, almost. I'm going to get a steam engine for an alternative loco. And I ordered a half red/ half green speisewagon too. I stopped worrying so much about what's absolutely "correct" since I realized how much variation there always has been on German livery consists. 

6zf2RKX.jpg?1

• Like 1