German Intercity (IC) and other train models.

gavino200

2 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Great. BTW the roof of the loco shell has a bit of curvature, so the wire harness of the decoder has to be made quite short in order for the decoder to fit. Good luck!

FYI -- both the decoders (larger DH10C) seen in the pic fit fine with the body shell.

Edited by chadbag
6 minutes ago, chadbag said:

FYI -- both the decoders (larger DH10C) seen in the pic fit fine with the body shell.

Ha. I didn't even see them. They're so tiny. I was looking for colored wires. I forgot you use wireless ones. In fact, i think I'm going to start buying them myself for these German locos.

I used an ESU decoder. They come with quite a long wire harness which often has to be shortened (a PITA - sort of spoils the fun of a 'plug-in'). I shortened the harness so that the decoder sits fairly close to the socket.

Edited by gavino200
2 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Ha. I didn't even see them. They're so tiny. I was looking for colored wires. I forgot you use wireless ones. In fact, i think I'm going to start buying them myself for these German locos.

I used an ESU decoder. They come with quite a long wire harness which often has to be shortened (a PITA - sort of spoils the fun of a 'plug-in'). I shortened the harness so that the decoder sits fairly close to the socket.

These decoders come with a ribbon cable attached (the style used here -- I also have them with wires attached and you can buy them with just solder pads for advanced uses) and you just snip the ribbon cable with about 4-5 mm length and you have prongs to stick in the NEM651 receptacle.   If you  need to place the decoder elsewhere, like on the BR101 where I put it flat on top (as the decoder was too "tall" to push up against the side), you just clip the ribbon cable at a longer length...   I just looked at the ESU website and they don't offer it with ribbon cable, which is too bad.  I have one ESU Lokpilot decoder but don't remember where it is at.   Originally I wanted it for the BR120 here but the leads were too long and I did not want to shorten them.  I'll either use it somewhere where I can cut the 6 pin end off and use it as wired or where the length does not matter in a 6-pin installation.

br101-decoder.thumb.jpg.114f2f906b413fccfa864a3004664812.jpg

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

ESU also has decoders with the NEM 651 plug without wire harness, Lokpilot Micro for example. 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Martijn Meerts said:

ESU also has decoders with the NEM 651 plug without wire harness, Lokpilot Micro for example. 

Ok, good.  I did not get that far down the list.  I checked the first 6 or so and gave up 🙂  Unfortunately it is a real pin connector and not a ribbon cable so it is not adjustable for length (like for the pic I published above).  Good to know however for those who have standardized on ESU

Martijn Meerts

It's not adjustable no, but the majority of models by Fleischmann, Minitrix, Arnold etc. have room for decoders with the pin connector.

Personally, I pretty much solder decoders whenever possible. I've had several trains where the NEM651 socket became unreliable. Although, it really depends on the socket itself, some of the (possibly) older ones were just snapped onto the circuit board, and those had a tendency to pop off over time, and you couldn't really get them back on anymore. The more modern sockets are much more reliable since they're soldered onto the circuit board.

I have no issues with soldering the wires to the decoder itself, so I always get whatever decoder's available. For most custom installs, I de-solder the wires from the decoder, and then start at the power pickup and motor, and route the wires from there back to the decoder. Easier to get a good length on the wires that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/3/2019 at 4:38 PM, gavino200 said:

Do they always/usually look as bad a mine? I wonder if I can turn the voltage down so it's a dull glow. Otherwise I'll do like you suggest and disable/remove it.

With regards to the BR103 with the machine room lighting.  I was looking at an email from DM-Toyrs where they list a Fleischmann BR103 that mentions machine room lighting.  It says that under "Digital" it is switchable / controllable (the machine room lighting).  Did you put a decoder in yours?   It looks like, if the decoder is set up correctly, or using the factory one if you got the DCC in-built version, you should be able to turn off the machine room lighting using a function key or something.

6 minutes ago, chadbag said:

With regards to the BR103 with the machine room lighting.  I was looking at an email from DM-Toyrs where they list a Fleischmann BR103 that mentions machine room lighting.  It says that under "Digital" it is switchable / controllable (the machine room lighting).  Did you put a decoder in yours?   It looks like, if the decoder is set up correctly, or using the factory one if you got the DCC in-built version, you should be able to turn off the machine room lighting using a function key or something.

I''ll have to take another look at it. The LED is on a board that's in-built. There's a 6 pin socket with a dummy pin. I tried the function keys. No luck. There's probably a CV for it. But since I had it open it was just as easy to cover the LED. I'd never want to turn it on. It looks terrible. 

14 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

I''ll have to take another look at it. The LED is on a board that's in-built. There's a 6 pin socket with a dummy pin. I tried the function keys. No luck. There's probably a CV for it. But since I had it open it was just as easy to cover the LED. I'd never want to turn it on. It looks terrible. 

Well if you have the dummy pin block, you are running analog?  Maybe running analog on DCC?   The 6-pin socket is for your decoder.    

Just now, chadbag said:

Well if you have the dummy pin block, you are running analog?  Maybe running analog on DCC?   The 6-pin socket is for your decoder.    

Ha, no. I mean it came with a dummy pin block. Just describing the 'out of the box' appearance. I removed the dummy and placed an ESU decoder. 

1 minute ago, gavino200 said:

Ha, no. I mean it came with a dummy pin block. Just describing the 'out of the box' appearance. I removed the dummy and placed an ESU decoder. 

Ah, ok.   Maybe the docs mention what function or what function output is used to control that and you can set the proper CVs so that it will work.  But whatever.

3 minutes ago, chadbag said:

Ah, ok.   Maybe the docs mention what function or what function output is used to control that and you can set the proper CVs so that it will work.  But whatever.

I'll get around to it eventually. I need to disable the simulated momentum anyway. The loco doesn't really have a purpose until I buy some IR cars so there's no rush.

Edited by gavino200
On 3/14/2019 at 9:51 PM, gavino200 said:

I'm very happy with my little fleet. I think this will be all now for a while.

Love it! Especially  the BR 103 with IC and IR coaches, as I remember them so well from my childhood days.

I should really find me some IR coaches as well.

• Like 1
On 3/4/2019 at 9:09 PM, gavino200 said:

uJ8BFTx.jpg

I'm feeling the need to finally get my IR train together. I hope I haven't missed the Fleischmann re-release. 

• Like 2
gavino200

About a year ago I took apart a Fleischmann wagon to see about lighting it. I couldn't believe how difficult it was to put back together. Particularly that tiny wire that functions as a spring for the coupler. Well I finally got around to it. 

That's the little fellow there.

n53h2tu.jpg

I used a tiny bit of putty to hold these metal things in place.

qK36OQr.jpg

Springs back in place. 

OsiM2UN.jpg

Upper structure back on. Adding the trucks.

4OGOyi7.jpg

And the train is whole again! 

5RUMkII.jpg

• Like 2
gavino200

I'll probably end up getting new wagons for my Epoch V IR train. But I'm doing my due diligence looking for decent condition second hand coaches. The latest  Fleishmann release has a final car with working tail-lights rather than a steuerwagen. I'm conflicted, as I like both. 

But as I search, I keep finding the older DB green, blue, and red, coaches at decent prices. I'm tempted to start collecting one of these trains. I'm not really sure what this is or what the configuration should be. I like the idea of collecting as family tree of German Schnellzüge. Eventually I might make my collection meet up with my little Adler. I need to find a good source on liveries and configurations over the years. 

I also see "Silberling" coaches at decent prices. These's are also something of a mystery to me. 

roadstar_na6

n-Wagen (Silberlinge) should have an article on the english Wikipedia too and if not just translate the German one. They were re-painted into a few color schemes and basically were predecessors of the white/green and white/red cars.

Intercitys usually sport a various collection of all colors that were available at some point.

Edited by roadstar_na6
  • Thanks 1
gavino200

Looking at the Fleischmann website I'm guessing these are Epoch IV pre-IC Express train colors. I have to say, I love these multicolored trains. 

1st class Blue

https://www.fleischmann.de/en/product/243254-0-0_1000_0-1-0-0-0-003002-1/products.html

Dining red/green

https://www.fleischmann.de/en/product/243255-0-0_1000_0-1-0-0-0-003002-1/products.html

2nd class green 

https://www.fleischmann.de/en/product/243256-0-0_1000_0-1-0-0-0-003002-1/products.html

Baggage Green

https://www.fleischmann.de/en/product/243258-0-0_1000_0-1-0-0-0-003002-1/products.html

Fleischmann seems to be suggesting a Steam loco for these, though I swear I've seen them pulled by diesel or electric locos.

https://www.fleischmann.de/en/product/244628-0-0_1000_0-1-0-0-0-002001-1/products.html

This from a roco site.

https://www.roco.cc/responsebinary.asp?id=19893505566990.jpg

Edited by gavino200

I would assume you'd see those wagons being pulled by electro or diesel locomotives but they seem to be Epoch III.

gavino200
20 minutes ago, chadbag said:

I would assume you'd see those wagons being pulled by electro or diesel locomotives but they seem to be Epoch III.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they should have an electric or diesel loco. I looked back in this thread and there were similar examples with an electric loco. 

I'm really not sure what the exact definitions of "Epochs" are. But based on a google search it looks like these might even be Epoch IV or straddling III and IV

Epoch III will come next 🤪

gavino200

Here's a quick and dirty definition from Reynolds

https://www.reynaulds.com/beginner.aspx

A more extensive discussion from Märklin

https://www.maerklin.de/en/products/product-information/eras-overview/

The two don't agree exactly. I really need a site on German trains through the years. I don't even know when these Blue/red/green trains are from. But I'm guessing mid 60s to mid 70s.

roadstar_na6

The linked cars are rather Epoch III imho and should fit well behind a steamer but E and Diesel will also work. 😄 They‘re no IC cars tho

Basically it‘s like this:

Epoch I: Pre 1925

Epoch II: 1920-1950

Epoch III: 1945-1970

Epoch IV: 1965-1990

Epoch V: 1985-2010

Epoch VI: After 2005

• Thanks 1
gavino200
1 hour ago, roadstar_na6 said:

They‘re no IC cars tho

Thanks for the information roadstar!

Yeah, I know. I probably should rename the thread. I started with an interest in the IC trains that I rode on a couple of years ago on vacation, and I've been inching back in time as I learn more. I'm taking a bit of license and am considering these trains as like antecedents to the IC trains. Does that make any sense? Even if it doesn't, I'll probably continue, as I like this evolution in time theme. 😜

Edited by gavino200
3 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they should have an electric or diesel loco. I looked back in this thread and there were similar examples with an electric loco. 

I'm really not sure what the exact definitions of "Epochs" are. But based on a google search it looks like these might even be Epoch IV or straddling III and IV

Epoch III will come next 🤪

based on the description from Fleischmann they are definitely Epoch III.  They first went into service in the early 50s.  I am sure they stretched into Epoch IV or even later based both on description, and I think I saw these once in a while in the 80s when I was regularly riding trains in Germany.

"More than 6.145 express train passenger coaches of the DDB are designated UIC X-coaches. The coaches were put into operation from 1952 on. Some of them were used in D trains for half a century and operated in the Intercity traffic. These coaches offered an unmatched comfort never seen in Europe before. The UIC-X coaches immediately entered the high-quality express train service and were mainly used for foreign services and the transit and inter-zone transportation to West Berlin. These coaches quickly became standard in the GDR. Very soon, the existing F-train network with its until 1956 first and second class service (but later only the first class service), was supplied with UIC coaches. By the mid-1960s, all pre-war coaches which still operated in the express train traffic were replaced by UIC coaches."