Kato/Lemke ICE4

gavino200

1 hour ago, Yavianice said:

Don’t forget customs and that the European version also has a DB IC bus included, at least when preordered 😁

I didn't.

My order from Amazon Japan comes in at 295€ (including shipping and customs) as compared to the local 510€.

I can't think of anyone being convincing enough to sell me some fancy cardboard and a bus model worth 215€. 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, chadbag said:

Interesting:  2 motor cars when you combine both sets.

That's great. Honestly, a lot of longer trains would benefit from that arrangement.

5 hours ago, Suica said:

I can't think of anyone being convincing enough to sell me some fancy cardboard and a bus model worth 215€. 

If it came down to it, I'd actually pay extra for the Japanese bookshelf case. Much more convenient than the Euro and US giant cardboard boxes.

23 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

If it came down to it, I'd actually pay extra for the Japanese bookshelf case. Much more convenient than the Euro and US giant cardboard boxes.

The way I read it though is that in this particular case it's basically a wider standard book case for both EU/US and JP versions. Only difference is that the EU/US book cases are white with a special sleeve as where the JP one is green.

• Like 1

This model looks very nice. Worth waiting for I think based of the videos online. I still need to wait another month or so to get my hands on mine, though. 

• Like 1

These various threads we have for one specific train is getting a bit confusing.

The model is quite nice, many people have said so. I've also seen it in person and can confirm it. Though some european model train fanatics bash the model for having "plastic pantographs" which as Suica has pointed out before, is pretty much incomprehensible to me. Some even disliked the fact that it was not "prototypical" enough for not having more detailed decals about maintenance and specs what you can see around the bottom of each car. I personally think that these people just hate on this model for the sake of it for no reason.

The packaging however is a HUGE letdown. The european packaging is just white. Nothing special. Just the green box in white, that's it. I don't see a point of purchasing the european release other than that Lemke refuses to service the Japanese model because competition reason, even though they are identical.

Edited by Yavianice
grammar
  • Like 3

Many German model railroaders are also getting upset about this train. He drives through no radii smaller than 282mm, still 249mm, because in Germany is still the opinion, radii under 250mm (which are sold by the manufacturers in starter packs) are still modern. The discussions about it can be read in the forum 1zu160.de.

Btw, at Original there was recently a message to the ICE4.
There are apparently problems with the welds on the cars, which is why the delivery at Siemens was stopped.

Edited by lighthouse
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, lighthouse said:

The discussions about it can be read in the forum 1zu160.de.

One of the most toxic places about model railroading. Good for a laugh but nothing more.

Remember: It's absolutely fine when Minitrix forces their DCC crap on you and sells a single loco for 300€. But plastic pantographs on a "cheap chinese model"?! God forbid!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Suica said:

One of the most toxic places about model railroading. Good for a laugh but nothing more.

Remember: It's absolutely fine when Minitrix forces their DCC crap on you and sells a single loco for 300€. But plastic pantographs on a "cheap chinese model"?! God forbid!

Trying to point stuff like that out gives an "Error #404 Brain Not Found" for most of these people. It's really annoying and I just don't want to bother anymore when I read stuff like that. Very happy JNS forum exists.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
Martijn Meerts

5 minutes ago, Suica said:

Almost as bad as the Marklin forums then. If it's not Marklin, it's bad.. Even if the other brand is a far superior model in detail, running characteristics and everything else o.O

• Like 1

Most Japanese train releases disappear within 6-12 months of release.  Items do not get warehoused in Japan like the west because of lack of space and cost.

Edited by bill937ca

Usually, if you want something, buy it when it comes out.  It will soon be gone and only the after market sources will have it at inflated prices.   If there is enough demand, KATO may do another run at some time in the future.  I believe the Shiki-Shima train was like that -- it sold out and then another run was done.

Really, thank you all for the quick feedback. I had noticed the 7 car sets of the ICE 4 recently jumped about 40+ dollars, even from the japanese-direct sources, and was kind of getting a bit nervous about waiting any longer. 

10 minutes ago, nehalem19 said:

Really, thank you all for the quick feedback. I had noticed the 7 car sets of the ICE 4 recently jumped about 40+ dollars, even from the japanese-direct sources, and was kind of getting a bit nervous about waiting any longer. 

both Model Train Plus and Hobby Search list both the basic and expansion at the "normal" price as available.  Ami Ami has the expansion but not the basic set.