VPNs blocked?

Because of the 1984 government in my country, I have subscribed to a VPN. However it seems JNS doesn’t take too kindly to that. Are VPNs blocked/not allowed on here?

Martijn will need to answer this, may have something to do with the amazon s3 the forum is running on. Never noticed anything about vpn in the regular controls on the Forum software, but I expect there is a server set of Forum controls as well server settings to look at.

sorry maybe martijn will have a better answer. Martijn has been a very busy boy with ip his new job and the holidays.

jeff

• Like 1

As long as the ip address of the exit point is not on a blocked ip list for the cloud provider, it should work.

On the other hand, if the vpn service in use was used in the past for illegal activity by anyone, the amazon cloud servers might block all traffic from it. This is independent from the site settings and part of the firewall settings of the provider.

• Like 1

The only ip blocking I know we have with the Forum software itself is for spam signups, but I do not believe it blocks folks already members. Yavianice, pm me your ip you were blocked from and I’ll check it against the filters we have in place. We are also subscribed to the forum’s spam filter as well but I do t think that can be checked but I’ll check. I expect kvp is correct it may be at the amazon level of filtering.

sorry you are having trouble,

jeff

I use a VPN a lot. Mostly for language stuff. I often leave it on. Possibly more often than not, these days. Never had a problem with the forum because of it.

2 hours ago, Yavianice said:

Which service do you use

I use 'Hotspot Shield'. I use it to get into other countries to avoid copyright issues, rather than for privacy or censorship avoidance. 

For what it's worth, here's my experience.

I'm in the Peoples' Republic of China, and I often use a VPN when online because even simple things like GMail and MSN.com are filtered or blocked by the Great Firewall. I have noticed that JNS will work without running a VPN, but images won't load and links may not do anything.... However, my VPN is not blocked, so it's another reason to leave it running when I am online!

Ewan

Also I found out that some servers are blocked with my vpn but not consistently. Which is why I have not reported IP addresses (to Cteno). But if I find out which ones then I will let Cteno know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by cteno4
12 hours ago, Ewan.in.gz said:

I have noticed that JNS will work without running a VPN, but images won't load and links may not do anything....

Are you talking about images on the jnsforum.com domain (hosted on the same server as the forum itself), or about images embedded from external servers? Or maybe both?

On 1/14/2018 at 11:24 PM, Densha said:

Are you talking about images on the jnsforum.com domain (hosted on the same server as the forum itself), or about images embedded from external servers? Or maybe both?

When not using a VPN in China, it seems to be both....

Ewan