Akihabara fans shed a tear as iconic sign comes down, changing the cityscape of Electric Town

Just been there... and from pics and other things... I've never seen that sign either... (before I was in Japan that is...)

I don't know aught about that sign, but if it's as iconic as they say... maybe removing it entirely is the... "kinder" thing to do. There was/"is" a rather iconic neon sign in Vancouver, the Bow-Mac sign, which was (IMO rightly) deemed to be of historic importance to the city and so is forbidden from demolition... except that now it's mostly hidden by the Toys R Us sign over top of it. It looks utterly moronic, and like this, it may as well not even be there.

If it's not going to be preserved to be actually seen and enjoyed, yeah, may as well get rid of it.

Must admit I pass that way frequently and have never once thought "now there's an iconic sign which will be sorely missed if it's ever removed".

Streetview here: https://goo.gl/maps/vYsn94yKXN12

Anyway Akihabara is not what it once was, I always thought it was a mecca for computer parts but turns out it's full of model railway shops.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, railsquid said:

Must admit I pass that way frequently and have never once thought "now there's an iconic sign which will be sorely missed if it's ever removed".

Streetview here: https://goo.gl/maps/vYsn94yKXN12

Anyway Akihabara is not what it once was, I always thought it was a mecca for computer parts but turns out it's full of model railway shops.

I never thought the Bow-Mac sign would be missed were it taken down, actually I never even really gave it a second thought aside from if giving directions... it was just *there*, I suppose as landmarks do. Now that it's essentially gone (hidden enough to not be able to see it)... it took a long time to get used to it.