Programming a LokSound decoder - Very basic question

gavino200

I just installed my second ever sound decoder. The first was a Tsunami. It was great. I liked the sounds it came with, so I never worried about changing them. It was enough for me that my tiny loco sounded like a steam engine. I just installed a LokSound Select Micro decoder. The product number is 73800. I figured I'd do the same thing - just use the sounds that came with. Problem. My steam engine now sounds like a diesel. So yet again I'm forced to get technical. 

I'm watching the "How to" videos on the LokSound site. They're sort of long, and I'm finding I keep having to go to other videos to get to the basics, then to other videos, still looking for the basics. Never finding the basics. 

Here's what I understand: 

There's a bunch of sounds in the decoder.

I need to somehow find what sounds are selected for each function and change them to other sounds.

It seems I need software for this. But do I need hardware too? The lok programmer?? They suggested that I use this product to operate the ESU decoder-tester too, but it turned out I could just hook it up to the programming track or main and use the Digitrax cab.

So do I really need the LokProgrammer device? Or can I use JMRI? Currently the sound tab in JMRI doesn't make much sense to me. Mostly just numbers.

In order to make my Steamie not a Diesel:

What do I need to plug it into?

1. Programming track/JMRI

2. Programming track/Some kind of ESU software?

3. Some kind of ESU hardware/some kind of ESU software?

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. 

In the meantime the horn and bell is at least kind of fun.

Edited by gavino200

Looks like they have specific files for my loco.

http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/4

Also, says that I need to use  LokProgrammer Version 4.5.1 or newer. 

Still can't work out if I can hook the my laptop running Lok Programmer 4.5.1 directly up to my Digitrax system using the PR3, or if I need to buy the ESU computer interface hardware. 

It does look like everything is fairly intuitive, when I get passed this step. Also lots of YouTube videos - none so far that discuss this basic step.

Normally you can change a decoder CV to use a different pre-programed sound, does the decoder come with a manual with a list of what CV's do what?

Nope. There's just a small piece of paper that tells you to go to the website for the most recent  version of the manual.

The user manuals are on this page. But there's none listed specifically for the LokSound select micro.

Unless, that's counted as the "V4.0 family"

http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-decoders/

Edited by gavino200

This is the page for this specific decoder. No direct link for a manual. Also, no indication that it's part of the V4.0 family. Also not listed as a family member at the top of the family manual.

This page lists all the CVs for the Daylight files. But the sound files have to be downloaded and then transferred to the decoder. Doesn't specifically mention what interface needs to be used. Clearly, it would be a simple process to use the ESU hardware interface and software. However, I don't want to buy a new hardware interface unless I need to.

I guess I'll try installing the Lokprogrammer software on my laptop and connecting it up to the Digitrax PR3 to see if they're compatible. 

I found the answer on this page. Looks an excellent site for all things DCC. Never seen it before. Anyway, looks like I need to shell out some cash for the LokSound hardware interface. That's a pain, but not a huge deal as I really like their decoders, so I'll get some use out of it. 

http://www.dccguy.com/?tag=loksound

• Thanks 1

Gavino,

We must be on some kind of paradox. I'm going to post a image................

large.IMG_2385.jpg.2c18f0b160a289284992f

I've been working on a project with the 4.0 decoders. They are the way to go. In order to utilize the sound mapping you need the Lok programmer. It allows you

to see and manage everything on the decoder. Although you can do a lot with JMRI you cannot access the complete decoder.

You can control the engine startup and shut down. Control when to play a sound or what two triggers are needed to play a sound.

The Lok Programmer hooks up like the PR3. See the green connector and yellow and red clips. They are the outputs to the programming track (either or). The serial port to USB

cable plugs into the PC.

Do it, its worth it.

Inobu

4 hours ago, inobu said:

Gavino,

We must be on some kind of paradox. I'm going to post a image................

large.IMG_2385.jpg.2c18f0b160a289284992f

I've been working on a project with the 4.0 decoders. They are the way to go. In order to utilize the sound mapping you need the Lok programmer. It allows you

to see and manage everything on the decoder. Although you can do a lot with JMRI you cannot access the complete decoder.

You can control the engine startup and shut down. Control when to play a sound or what two triggers are needed to play a sound.

The Lok Programmer hooks up like the PR3. See the green connector and yellow and red clips. They are the outputs to the programming track (either or). The serial port to USB

cable plugs into the PC.

Do it, its worth it.

Inobu

Yeah, I think I'll take the plunge. I was hoping my local train guy would have a Lok Programmer that I could use, but he doesn't. So I'll start shopping for a good price.

What sound projects are you working on, Inobu? Have you converted any non-steamers to sound? 

I needed to add sound to a car and control it via the F keys. This was for a HO unit. I used the micro 4.0 and it turned out good. I think I'll start using Lok Sound from now on. Its really good and the programmer makes

anything easy to customize. 

I bought the Lok programmer a few months ago and just got out Thursday. When we were talking about the GS-4 I had not opened it up. Now I realize that the Lok sound is the way to go. I put a DZ125

in the GS-4 as the Digitras sound decoder was too big and required the weight to be removed. When I get a chance I will put a micro loksound in as well.

Join the ESU forum as there is an unofficial manual for the Lok programmer that someone wrote. It explains the system really good.

I got mine from model train stuff

Inobu

Edited by inobu
  • Like 1