Soldering iron tips??

gavino200

I've had this soldering iron for years now. It was a cheap no-name brand, I think. I don't remember where I got it but it works fine. I have a 25W iron for very delicate jobs but I do almost everything with this one. It clearly says "30W". But when I buy "30W" tips they don't fit. It seems random. Too big or too small. The beat up tip next to it is the last one I have that remotely fits. It's too small but the screw holds it fairly tight.

When I look for tips, generally they are sold by Brand or Wattage, rather than by size. Anyone know where I can buy soldering tips by size and shape?

WiFRP3X.jpg

This can be tough to find matches for an old iron like this as they are usually sold to just match the model and don't give the tip specs.

there are a few spaced by diameter, usually 3.5mm on ebay. 

might want to pop for a variable temp iron as it's nice to be able to control temp with different solders and jobs. With the kind of projects you are doing having one that have a range of tips available also is very handy. The one I got also came with an extra handle so you can quickly plug the other one in if you need a different size/shape tip and not wait for the iron to completely cool down.

hate to toss old tools as well but at some point you kind of get forced and decent variable soldering iron seems like a good upgrade for you and your projects to make life easier. At least it's a pretty minimal thing getting replaced!

jeff

4 hours ago, cteno4 said:

This can be tough to find matches for an old iron like this as they are usually sold to just match the model and don't give the tip specs.

there are a few spaced by diameter, usually 3.5mm on ebay. 

might want to pop for a variable temp iron as it's nice to be able to control temp with different solders and jobs. With the kind of projects you are doing having one that have a range of tips available also is very handy. The one I got also came with an extra handle so you can quickly plug the other one in if you need a different size/shape tip and not wait for the iron to completely cool down.

hate to toss old tools as well but at some point you kind of get forced and decent variable soldering iron seems like a good upgrade for you and your projects to make life easier. At least it's a pretty minimal thing getting replaced!

jeff

Thanks. I'll check out ebay. If I need to I'll by a new 30W from a Brand that has backup supplies. I thought of getting a variable iron about a year ago. Actually on your suggestion. I'm not sure why I didn't as I had decided to do so. I think I was overwhelmed by the variety on the market and just postponed the purchase.

But since then I got a 20 Watt with fine tips from Radioshack. I use that for working on printed circuits. But for everything else I use the ol'yeller here. I find I'd rather have a range of physically different irons and know their foibles than try to master the use of a set of different temperature numbers. It seems a bit too abstract for me. 

Unfortunately, Radioshack don't sell replacement tips for the variety pack that came with the 20W. I even called them to check. So I'll have to buy a replacement soon. I haven't found anything that I need more power for than the 30W above. I suspect it might actually run higher than the stated 30 Watts.

looks like most soldering tips are not standarized anyway.

i usually just replaced the fastening bolt with a longer one.

Edited by HantuBlauLOL
  • Like 1