E231-3000 series to start running on the Hachiko Line

As a test run today pointed out, it looks like we will be seeing E231s on the Hachiko Line in the near future. These are former B5 formations renumbered into the E231-3000 subseries.

• Like 2

OOhhh interesting! I didn't know there was a E231-3000, I always thought they were all E231-1000 until I saw that the headlights were in the right position instead of being on the top for the E231-1000s....

Havent seen much of the E231-3000 around... mainly the E231-0 plying on the Joban and Sobu lines, E231-1000 plying the Tokaido/ Ueno-Tokyo line, E231-800 plying the Chiyoda line and the E231-500 plying the Yamanote...

If I understand it correctly, these Hachiko Line sets are formed of former E231-0 Chuo-Sobu Line B5 formation sets renumbered into the new E231-3000 subseries for the Hachiko Line. Information is still scare at the moment though, so I'm not entirely sure.

AAhhh that would makes sense now ~~ was wondering about the E231-3000s... thanks!

That would also mean the true disappearance of the 205s in the Tokyo region? I can only think the last 205 series left would be the one on the Nambu Branch line...

Apart from the Nambu Branch Line, there's still 205s running on the Tsurumi Line, Keiyo Line, Musashino Line, Tohoku Main Line (between Utsunomiya and Kuroiso) and Nikko Line as well.

1 hour ago, Densha said:

Apart from the Nambu Branch Line, there's still 205s running on the Tsurumi Line, Keiyo Line, Musashino Line, Tohoku Main Line (between Utsunomiya and Kuroiso) and Nikko Line as well.

AAhhh seems like I missed out on quite a lot of the other lines! Are the 205s still running on the Keiyo and the Musashino? I do know mainly E233-5000 ply the Keiyo line since it is quite a tourist spot due to Maihama station and Disney Land/ Sea...

17 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

AAhhh seems like I missed out on quite a lot of the other lines! Are the 205s still running on the Keiyo and the Musashino? I do know mainly E233-5000 ply the Keiyo line since it is quite a tourist spot due to Maihama station and Disney Land/ Sea...

Keio Line 205 series trainsets were replaced by the E233-5000 series in 2011, while very few 205-5000 series (former Yamanote and Chuo-Sobu line stock converted to VVVF control and in 8-car sets) are still in service, but they're bound to be replaced by former Chuo-Sobu E231-0 stock, of wich the first unit entered service on 11 May of this year.

Now, i don't know if this has been said before, but we should consider the E235 series not a replacement for the E231-500 series, but rather an indirect replacement of both original and rebuilt 205 series trainsets, that are currently in service on the Musashino, Tsurumi, Hachiko, Kwagoe, Nikko, Sagami, Seneseki and Utsunomiya lines.

The E231-3000 series for the Hachiko Line is another example of this indirect replacement.

It would be interesting to see what will happen on the other lines, especially on the Sagami line, wich is, as of today, using one of the oldest EMUs among all the other lines of JR East, with the 205-500 series dating back to 1990 (and still using rheostat + weak field control !)

E231-0 B5 set in service on the Chuo-Sobu Line

https://2nd-train.net/files/topics/2017/06/12/96636f2333ae2a1b5abadd164dfed7151db7e19a_z.jpg

Edited by Socimi

The E231-3000 series went into service on the Hachiko Line on 19 February 2018:

Edited by Densha
  • Like 2

I believe the last of the 205's in the Tokyo region will be the JR East Sagami Line 205-500's. And even then, who knows how long they will last....