Noisy Micro Ace

trainhoarder

Hi

I received a (second-hand) Micro Ace EF55 yesterday. It is in more or less mint condition but it is quite noisy. Very noticably so, in fact, compared to my EF57 (which I bought new a few months ago). Is it simply because the EF55 is a few years old and has a bigger/less efficient motor or is something wrong with it? Is there some way I can fix it (it runs fine otherwise)?

Potentially because it is an older model. But without know the model number. We'd be guessing.

Also could have been laying around getting dusty or got knocked around in transit.

I had a N700-7000 shinkensen that was new (but old window sotck) and it howled also. I completely disassembled it and rebuilt it. It ran faster and made normal noise levels.

Edited by katoftw

I've had this problem before as well, have you tried looking inside?  Often just cleaning the motor and gears of any thing that has gotten tangled up will help a lot.

First might try just a tiny bit of heavier oil on the truck gears. Many times this does the trick in situations like this w.o having to tear it down and clean and relube. If it doesn't then it's onto the teardown...

I use these to apply lubricants now

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Pcs-Micro-Brush-Disposable-Microbrush-Applicators-Eyelash-Extensions-Swab-/112551154947?var=&hash=item1a34925503:g:Nk8AAOSwwPhWhOCD

also good for glues

these also work well and are good for cleaning in the tight spots.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50PC-Disposable-Eyeliner-Brush-Eyeshadow-Applicator-Eyes-Makeup-Cosmetic-Tool-CO-/302320377520?epid=915021423&hash=item4663b2deb0:g:NVIAAOSwYlRZHRP-

you can use these twice as the tip is reversible.

jeff

In case anyone is wondering it is an A1501 (as opposed to the newer update which is A1505 I believe. Again, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it aside from the noise. I'll try lubricant.

Microace tend to have a higher percentage of out of the box growlers. Usually luring a tiny bit goes a long way. Older ones I've had to strip and clean and relube. Tomix tend to be the ones that have the higher number growl with old age and harder running and cleaning and relubiung usually fixes them.

go easy with the lubricants as too much ends up on the rails and collects a lot more gunk in the trucks. I usually add a tiny bit and run a bit and repeat a few times and stop when change in motor noise and running smoothness flattens out. If it doesn't change after a couple of cycles that's good evidence to start pulling things apart.

can also be good to run the train you are lubing on a little test track as a lot of lubricant and even old crap in the trucks can get loosened up and spit out on test runs. Easier to clean a few pieces of track with soap and water in the sink than clean it up off the layout!

jeff

Thanks for the replies guys! (Sorry I've took so long to respond, I'm not terribly good at forum posting!)

I will have a look for suitable lubricants. Not sure how I feel about taking apart my rare and potentially expensive to replace EF55 but lubrication is definitely on the agenda. It is running as I type and it has got somewhat quieter since it first arrived.

Ifnthe truck gears on the bottom look clean you might just try a tiny bit of gear oil to them first from the opening on the bottom of the truck and see if that does it before a total teardown.

I must admit after tearing apart probably a couple of hundred Japanese trains over the years I have had the most "Hugh?" Moments with microace models, but always figure them out, just seem to do odder things than tomix, kato and gm.

jeff