Catenary Poles

inobu

The rubberwire will fixed with superglue at some points. At the most they are fixed as a loop.

Soap in the water for colors will help you. Try to clean the plastic with water and soap, when this doen't help try to clean it with denatured alcohol. Try first at one piece!

I'm having a hard time getting the right kind of nylon thread. I did not think this would be the hard part. I bought a few types but they don't have the right look. Too many fiber strands.

Bonded #13 is what I think I want but most companies uses #69.

I think I'll try the stuff they use in the fishing world.

I'm devising a jig to hold the thread taunt so you can tack it onto the poles faster.

Inobu

Swung by a tackle shop and found the nylon. There are a number of sizes ranging from .004" (.11mm on up). I got .004, .006, and .009. It comes in green but you really cant tell until you get to .009. It looks clear in the smaller sizes.

It has a clear shiny look I think it might work out.

It cost $3.29 for 81 feet which is not bad.

I'll post pic again.

Inobu     

In real life  distance between masts more (approx 2 times) than in layout. (in application to ViessMann working Catenary at N Scale)

This is all because we must have sufficient stability of long layout catenaly wires against side deviationd when pantograph moves along it.

Therefore distance between masts in strait track approx. 2 times less than in reality, otherwise One must do very thick hardened stainless steel wires or  pantograph may turn aside catenary and tran becomes crashed.

I finally found another color fly fishing line which has a red brick hue and a copper like tint. It looks pretty good and would with weathered pole also. Here is a sample run

[smg id=693]

Also this is the applicator used by the tie fly guys (these are guys that make their own flies). It puts a tad too much glue down but you cannot go much smaller than .003. The glue will dry and clog the tip rather quickly.

[smg id=692]

I would like a better solution in reguards to the gluing. I want a good bond but not so much that you cannot remove it once you install it. I want to have that option just in case. I think this is the next hurtle. I'm leaning toward Super Glue with the kicker/zapper to give the instant bond. I'm finding that a jig is going to be a must.

Inobu

Oh,

The fishing line I used is Maxima a German company but more important is the weight.

3 lb/1.4kg or 4lb/2kg weight or 5X and 4X the actual diameter is .006"/.15 mm or .007"/.17mm