z-train shorty

TimWay4

Haven't seen anything about this pop up yet, I was looking on Facebook this morning and came across a post from Rokuhan saying that they are introducing a Z-train shorty range. for ease here is a link to the facebook post. 

Edited by TimWay4
edited out images to fit with forum rules
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I'm looking forward to the DMU motor unit as i plan to motorize a 12 meter Nj scale Tomytec shell with it.

Edited by kvp

I like the range, the only negative I have is the windows. I can't suggest what could make them better, but I don't like the colour used for them. 

Yess, saw these tiny buggers at last JAM. I might have to pick up a few for narrow gauge reasons as well... I hope they'll be successful though, as they can prove to be a viable base for 3D printed shells.

6 hours ago, kvp said:

I'm looking forward to the DMU motor unit as i plan to motorize a 12 meter Nj scale Tomytec shell with it.

I'm really looking forward to affordable 6mm gauge power units as well, but looking at the pictures I suspect the Rokuhan chassis is too short for 1/150 12 meter rolling stock.

The prices for the chassis are really good though!

Here's the link to the original post on Rokuhan's website by the way: http://www.rokuhan.com/news/2017/10/z-7.html

Edited by Densha
13 minutes ago, Densha said:

but looking at the pictures I suspect the Rokuhan chassis is too short for 1/150 12 meter rolling stock.

It looks like a single powered bogie with a trailer one, so that might be easier to adjust.

Just ordered two of each type, I'll decide what to do with them when I've measured them up but they look very useful

Might need to talk to one of my friendly 3D printing designers

Kev

Today I received my Z Shorty EF66 body and power chassis and I am very impressed with them and the power chassis runs really well.

Hope they will bring out some more locos soon and I can see this becoming a bit of an addiction :love4:

P1070492.JPG

• Like 4

With the recent acquiring of Z-gauge shorties, I must wonder about the selection available. There does not appear to be a large presence of Shorties in Z, and not much in the way of expansion sets.

Does anyone have a list of what exists?

Do intermediate cars exist for EMU/Shinkansen sets?

What is there for freight locos and cars other than KoKi 104/106 and an EF66?

Would love to get intermediate cars for these...

Could probably fabricate some and 3D print them.

May get a fistful of those coaches and the custom labels and see what I can come up with.

The Z shorties are still a relatively new product! I’ve got a handful and they’re great runners, great fun and pretty cheap! I’m hoping they keep expanding the range. The stickers in the plain shells are a bit lame though....I think I’d rather 3D print my own designs (keep intending in designing some UK stock as shortiesnbut still haven’t gotten around to it...)

kevsmiththai

The Rokuhan Shorty is turning out to be a really versatile unit. I'll give you a quick heads up on what you can do with it along with the source

Ford Dagenham Boxcab shunter. 3D printed in FUD on Shapeways. Drops straight onto the Shorty. Mine still needs the glass putting in the windows and the Ford logo on the side

large.1071138147_FordDagenhamshubter.jpg.4f7128c1112c4bb9010597de3eb3659f.jpg

Central New Jersey RR Boxcab 3d printed in Brass (Actually a lost wax casting) again off Shapeways

large.1101888374_CNJBoxcab.jpg.16508e6a2b4204e8caa7a630311bb090.jpg

The CNJ one painted. The level of detail is astonishing

large.1385882989_3DbrassBoxcab.jpg.e57312aeede75f220229bc14951a5d73.jpg

70 ton diesel shunters 3D printed in FUD on Shapeways. A good generic industrial switcher/Shunter

large.1779387685_70tDiesels.jpg.7438a576436a303bb6d96616ba213319.jpg

For me the ultimate potential is the guy in the U.S doing 3D brass body and chassis works using the Shorty as a donor. So here we see a Fairbanks morse H10-44 switcher chassis in brass with a donor shorty beside it

large.IMG_2914.jpg.2111004d7fd2d33b2bf36d928134f9e4.jpg

Ambitious, but worth the effort and it runs as sweet as a nut

large.1394596244_FMH10-44.jpg.b0d3dd12645ca12ba391df4a0b33ef5f.jpg

more shortly

Kev

• Like 3
kevsmiththai

For the Japanese modeller the 3d printed Chichibu Deki 500 is good but a bit overscale. You can order it in brass of FUD but the weight of the brass body makes it a great hauler

large.deki500.jpg.1a6ef1344e888d70f19db44b98436020.jpg

Currently I'm working on some British Diesel railcars to run on my new tapton junction Z layout

These are from a new designer, CMAC, on Shapeways and to use the Shorty I have ordered a load of these off shapeways. It is a Bolster to fit the unpowered truck/bogie too. Looks rough in the picture but cleans up nicely

large.997843302_Shortyunpoweredbogiebolster.jpg.640447922cbd489d507004e588f4c377.jpg

Brel built Class 158 DMU in primer

large.IMG_2031.JPG.43385c1fccd645d3db3e1e51158b94cd.JPG

large.960471765_Class158fittedwithShortyandbolster.jpg.a1a4f6d5f9876dfef15d7385772ad388.jpg

Class 175 DMU in bare plastic, mounted on spaced out Shorty

large.33604893_Class175DMU.jpg.471d2b3779ef2a74ca53a55594da92a5.jpg

Since this picture was taken the 158 has been painted in full 'regional railways' colour scheme and the 175 is nearly fully painted in TFW (Transport for wales) red and white

Oh, I also have a Shorty EF 66 body to go with my 'Full Length' Rokuhan EF 66s

more soon

Kev

• Like 4
kevsmiththai

It Runs !!

Had a nightmare with the wiring on the first attempt by trying to use verroboard to connect the pick-up wires and motor leads together. In the end I extended the powered truck pick-up wires and ran them through a couple of holes drilled in the back of the chassis and soldered the wires together in the middle of the bodyshell. Did a continuity check and all wheels picking up and no shorts. So far so good. put it on the track and it could barely move and made a right racket. This didn't make sense so I took the chassis out of the bodyshell thinking it was the motor going out of mesh. No, that was fine??? putting it under the big magnifying lamp found one axle had two traction tyres  had come off and jammed between the wheels and the sideframes. no idea how and they are a sod to get back on. refitted, ran as sweet as a nut

large.1490973786_Class158and175s.jpg.d1e91ff234798f35f3577d0b50e636a9.jpg

Seen with the semi painted class 175 in the background. I've done the artwork for the TFW decals tonight and will print them out onto Microscale clear decal sheet tomorrow.

total cost for the 158 so far £19 for the bodyshells and £22 for the two Shorty chassis plus a lot of blood sweat and tears. Should get the other carriage finished this weekend

Kev

• Like 5
On 5/8/2021 at 10:02 PM, kevsmiththai said:

It Runs !!

Had a nightmare with the wiring on the first attempt by trying to use verroboard to connect the pick-up wires and motor leads together. In the end I extended the powered truck pick-up wires and ran them through a couple of holes drilled in the back of the chassis and soldered the wires together in the middle of the bodyshell. Did a continuity check and all wheels picking up and no shorts. So far so good. put it on the track and it could barely move and made a right racket. This didn't make sense so I took the chassis out of the bodyshell thinking it was the motor going out of mesh. No, that was fine??? putting it under the big magnifying lamp found one axle had two traction tyres  had come off and jammed between the wheels and the sideframes. no idea how and they are a sod to get back on. refitted, ran as sweet as a nut

large.1490973786_Class158and175s.jpg.d1e91ff234798f35f3577d0b50e636a9.jpg

Seen with the semi painted class 175 in the background. I've done the artwork for the TFW decals tonight and will print them out onto Microscale clear decal sheet tomorrow.

total cost for the 158 so far £19 for the bodyshells and £22 for the two Shorty chassis plus a lot of blood sweat and tears. Should get the other carriage finished this weekend

Kev

These look fantastic Kev.

kevsmiththai

So I've been working away a bit lately as lockdown has eased so haven't done much modelling. It has been nice to get out of the county and visit rail depots at Crewe and Doncaster and meeet up with my old mates at Barrow Hill roundhouse

Anyway the pause has led me to have another rethink on the 158. I could see problems with having both units powered so bit my lip and ordered the unpowered Rokuhan Shorty chassis to fit under the other unit. the price seems extortionate for what is a simplified item with no motor or gears and they seem to be sold out at a few dealers anyway.

I'll let you know what I do with it when it arrives

Colin has responded to my idea of doing the Class 150 DMU in Z and also some other Mk III units

more soon

Kev