Unitram Adventures

bill937ca

After seeing pavement markings sanded off Unitram on a Facebook group, decided to try a single extra piece of Unitram. Using a Wave Precut Sandpaper # 600 sanding strip it took about 10 minutes, but then the markings on this piece were not substantial.  Nevertheless the markings can be removed for North American or European applications.

Wave Sandpaper on Hobby Search:  http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=107&cat=paint&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=wave+sandpaper

IMG_5575 1024 x 768.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Thanks 1

The poster on Facebook had tried several different methods and only sanding worked.   He commented,  "So I decided to put all the markings away.  Easier said than done: the printed Kato paint resists to all available dissolvants, acetone, alcohol, no effect, zero, nothing."

Sounds like it might just be easier to add some landscaping, even if pieces of a grass mat.

Did the OP mention what he planned to do with the sanded area?

At this point I haven't seen anything.  But he is in France, so I presume an European prototype. On the other hand he did come over to the East Penn Traction Club show and is working on producing a Siemens S70 articulated tram kit.

https://www.shapeways.com/designer/volkmar/creations

Most of his models are HO, but there will be an N scale Siemens S70.

Edited by bill937ca

Bill - I just don't understand making the effort to sand it off if you're just going to cover it with something else.  If you're going to put down an alternate road surface, or any other sort of scenery, I'd think you could just put it over the Kato markings.

I'm happy with this process and especially the results.  With my current Unitram layout I am only using the track so the road plates aren't an issue.

This piece has road markings for an intersection. If you want to have anything else road related on it, then imho it's easier to just remove the markings and add new ones.

A layout that is a deviation from the normal square and rectangles to some degree. The junction in the middle reminds me of interchanges in Zurich, Switzerland. Size is 36 x 36 (diagram squares are 6 inches).

Track
TW-X90, N Kato Unitram, 40-300. Crossing 62mm. (double plate track)    2
TWR180L, N Kato Unitram, 40-101. Curve angle 45º (double plate track)    8
TWR180R, N Kato Unitram, 40-102. Curve angle 45º (double plate track)    8
TWS62, N Kato Unitram, 40-031. Straight 62mm. (double plate track)    4

Unitram Zurich circles.jpg

Edited by bill937ca

This is a further expansion of the same idea.  The size is 36 x 36.

Track
TW-X90, N Kato Unitram, 40-300. Crossing 62mm. (double plate track)    2
TWR180L, N Kato Unitram, 40-101. Curve angle 45º (double plate track)    8
TWR180R, N Kato Unitram, 40-102. Curve angle 45º (double plate track)    8
TWS62, N Kato Unitram, 40-031. Straight 62mm. (double plate track)    8
TWT180L, N Kato Unitram, 40-210. Double left turnout angle 45º (double plate track)    2
TWT180R, N Kato Unitram, 40-211. Double right turnout angle 45º (double plate track)    2

Unitram Zurich circles and turnouts.jpg

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1