CTA day-trip recommendations?

velotrain

Feeling the need for a train trip, I've booked myself on the Lake Shore Limited in a week and a half, with two days in Chicago before taking the Cardinal to DC for another couple of days, then returning to Boston via NE Regional services.  My major regret is that so much of this, especially the Cardinal - which is new to me, is overnight mileage.  

I'm planning to get a CTA day pass, and wondered which lines (preferably elevated) would be the most interesting to take to their extremities from the Loop?  Are there any opportunities to perhaps take a (gasp) bus from one end point to that on a different line for the inbound trip?  Other ways to maximize the day pass?

- thanks for any advice

Hello, 

I'm sort of an Amtrak veteran here. 

The trip on the Cardinal in a little over a week and a half will arguably beat anything you do in Chicago train riding wise.  The train is scheduled such that the scenic journey through West Virginia and Virginia is in daylight ( same for the west bound Cardinal for the most part ).  You'll want a camera and left facing window from Huntington to around just after Charleston, WV.  There's also a nice covered bridge on the right side near the border of WV and VA. 

I recently completed a journey returning from Sedona over the Labor Day holiday, comprising of the Southwest Chief ( 7hrs late in Chicago allowed me to actually ride the Cardinal , the one east coast train I hadn't ridden ).  Really loved the Cardinal, and finally understand why people pay hundreds for the New River Gorge excursions.  Just wish the train had a full diner and a dome car.  

I've only taken CTA once when I took a week in Chicago, traveled via the Lake Shore Limited going and returned via the Capitol Limited and NE-Regional back to NY.  Took the line that goes to Wrigley ( well it continues past, I think it was the red line ).  Would personally recommend Metra over CTA, sitting in the front car gives you a good shot of Chicago coming into the city.

Also suggest springing for a roomette if you haven't done such already.  You'll be thankful.  Yes it costs a bit more, but dining car meals are included in the fare.  FYI: I believe they are currently busing lake shore passengers between Boston-Albany account of CSX track work ( train originates NYC ).  

Thanks for the info and tips.

I've used Amtrak a lot myself, mostly to start and end bicycle tours, and I know the LSL quite well.  I have a memory of riding the 20th C.L. out of NYC when I was a child.  I knew of the track work, and I can only hope they're working on the last 40+ miles into Albany-Rensselaer, as it's the bumpiest track I've ever encountered.

I will look forward to the Cardinal, but do want to investigate the L, as I'm toying with building a hybrid, kit-bashed, early Showa/Chicago-style elevated subway station.  I generally enjoy urban exploring, so should make out OK.  I know the Metra view coming in from the south - no idea what it looks like from the north.  I may check to see if I can combine that with one of the subway lines.  As I recall, the view is the same one you get on the LSL.

I used to love the old slumbercoach cars, as they were cheap and had everything I needed, but am able to sleep well in the coaches since you can stretch out quite a bit - I bring a lightweight sleeping bag.  One downside to the roomette is that you can only look out one side of the train . . . . when there are open seats I tend to move back and forth.

There used to be a way of boarding the CTA at one particular outlying station and riding almost every line without a paying new fare - I don’t know if that is still possible, let me look around.

Thanks, Ken - but I'm not sure I have the energy to ride a lot of lines, so wondered what might be the most visually interesting ones.

Again - my preference is for elevated vs. surface.

Charles,

you can take the elevated out tomthe neighborhood where frank Lloyd right house is. Interesting tour and quite a few of his houses in the surrounding neighborhood along with a Unitarian church he designed. It was a nice ride out being able to see the neighborhoods go by.

if you're into architecture the boat tour is worth a couple of hours as it gives you great views of the city and architectural history that's hard to do from the streets (and takes a long time).

jeff

Thanks Jeff - I am a FLW fan and visited some of his Minnesota work, including the bank in Winona, while on a bike tour - we also had lunch one day at Riverview Terrace in Spring Green, WI.  I remember we rode past a dairy farm in Wisconsin named Oleo Acres, with their road sign reading "One of the Cheaper Spreads".

I also saw Taliesin West in Scottsdale, when I was sent to a conference there.  That was a fun combo trip - I took the train to Flagstaff, biked down to Scottsdale - camping out one night on the way to Sedona, did the conference, train to San Antonio, two days exploring there, train to n'awlins - stayed with a friend for a few days, then train back to Boston. 

I noticed the Chicago house on the map and will make the trek out there - that would make a good break from riding the rails.

I had discovered the Chicago River architecture boat tour and am planning on doing that - I'll wait to see which day has the most appropriate weather ;-)

Any worthwhile trips on the DC Metro?  I was planning to spend most of my time around the Mall, hitting the museums, but will need some breaks from that.

Charles,

its a good afternoon out at the house as there are a number of flw residences in the neighborhood.and you can do a little walking tour of them (not inside, outside only) and I think there are some times you can go into the uu church.

when are you in dc? How long? Most stuff is on the mall. Trolly museum is up in Gaithersburg, but small. Does have track loop and a few trams running. This time of year it's only on weekends. Let me know when you are in town, maybe we can meetup.

not a lot to be seen from metro, elevated or ground areas are out nearer the ends of the lines. No hobby shops around really for trains.  New air and space out at Dulles is great to see A LOT of planes, but little labeling or intern going on and really hard to get to with public transport. 

jeff

Check the Oak Park UU church website before you make the trek - it’s been under renovation and may not be open.  Riding the Green Line to Oak Park would be a great trip, just be aware of your surroundings - the Austin area of Chicago (just east of Oak Park) is pretty rough.  You’ll be fine so long as you don’t wander off the train early. Ride in the first car with the motorman.