Japanese translation questions ;)

NGT6 1315

Morning...

I admit to not having any Japanese language skills to speak of, so maybe you might help me out here :cheesy . I was just looking over the densha otaku poll thread again and was wondering how I would have to write out the terms there - like "densha otaku" - in Japanese characters. Using the Japanese input mode in Windows brings up デンシャ オタク , but I have no way of knowing whether this is correct.

Also, would I be right in assuming that densha otaku simply means "railfan"? ???

TIA, chaps :cheesy .

bikkuri bahn

I think the "densha" part may also be written in the kanji 電車, so...電車オタク. Also, densha literally means electric trains, not trains in general, though in urban areas it has become the general vernacular term for trains.  Please note that the term "otaku" has somewhat negative connotations at least among the general public, so though the above term does mean railfan, few such persons would identify themselves as such using that term.  A more common appelation would be "tetsu", short for "tetsudou" or "tetsudou fan".  This term can be modified into sub-categories (perhaps dealt in another thread) like "tori tetsu" for railfans that like to photograph, or "nori tetsu" for those that like to ride trains, etc.  However, many railfans in Japan are loath to admit to others that they are indeed such, so they are what may be called "kakure tetsu", or closet railfans.

Please note that the term "otaku" has somewhat negative connotations at least among the general public, so though the above term does mean railfan, few such persons would identify themselves as such using that term. 

Interesting - wasn't aware of that. Do these negative connotations have any similarities with English terms like "weirdo" or indeed to do with sexuality?

In any case - thanks! :grin

bikkuri bahn

Yes, otaku would be equivalent of "weirdo" in derogatory usage, or more generally "nerd".  Of course otaku culture is highly developed in Japan (see Akihabara) and diverse, so it would be dangerous to generalize too much.

Yes, otaku would be equivalent of "weirdo" in derogatory usage, or more generally "nerd".  Of course otaku culture is highly developed in Japan (see Akihabara) and diverse, so it would be dangerous to generalize too much.

In Japanese vocanuclar otaku has become rather harsh. The term is a bit more endearing and accepted outside of Japan, especially among the anime fans.

The term otaku really had no such negative meaning until a murder a few years back, where the media hyped the term (similar to the term hacker here in the states) The irony was that the so-called "otaku" was far from being an actual otaku by definition.

Many of the Japanese "nerds" or "dorks" use the term "otaku among themselves more along the liens of Americans do with the "n-term" in that it is ok, for them to refer to each other in that manner but it is not permitted for "outsides" of their fandom to use the term as it is derogatory.

I hope it's okay for me to dig out this thread once again. Anyway, I just wanted to ask again whether the katakana spelling for "densha otaku" (デンシャ オタク) would be correct as well.

I hope it's okay for me to dig out this thread once again. Anyway, I just wanted to ask again whether the katakana spelling for "densha otaku" (デンシャ オタク) would be correct as well.

Yes.  Planning to make a t-shirt??  :laugh:

Yes.  Planning to make a t-shirt??  :laugh:

Exactly :laugh: .

That looks right. I actually have a DO shirt design I made that resembles a Chou Line Station sign that I created for my ill-fated Cafepress store if you want it. Shoot me an email and I'll give you the graphics.

LOL, this reminds me of my first trip to japan. on really hot days when i was really sticky i would buy a really cheap 200yen tee shirt to freshen up while out. when i was back in the states i was wearing one of them at my parents house and our next door neighbor (issei) was looking at the shirt funny so i asked him what the characters said and he said it was translated roughly as "love small things, then kill them". he thought it was probably something that was translated back and forth a couple of times as slang and just ended up meaning nothing in the end! oh well at least the brushed characters looked pretty...

cheers

jeff