HO/On30 layout

beakaboy

A friend was selling his old layout which had been to a few of our clubs shows over the years. He listed it on a National  auction site with a starting bid of $10 and a buy now of $50. It failed to sell for the first listing, so when he relisted I decided it was going to be mine. Purchased for $52 and collected it recently with 2 loads of our station wagon. he has sold off some of the electronics, but there are still $400-500 worth still attached. The track is all hand laid On30 and some On18. He included a couple of scenery making books as well as 2 DVDs and a nice little On30 engine with early sound decoder as well as another small chassis which requires a new gear. The layout has its very own table it bolts onto. I have included in this post, some short  videos i took of the layout in operation at our show a few years ago. Another project that will have to wait its turn in line with my other projects.

634187535.jpg

634187557.jpg

634187588.jpg

Edited by beakaboy
  • Like 7

Amazing bargain - I can't believe that no one else was interested.  Never mind the electronics - all that hand-laid track should make it worth many times what you paid for it.

Is that spar tree still attached?  I'd think that would require very careful transport.  It does look rather lonely on top of the hill there.  A better use of the space might be a small resort-hotel, although that whole rock outcropping in the middle of the layout is rather strange, and I doubt anything would allow it to look like it belongs.

Somewhere in my files I have a copy of a photo of this layout from about a decade ago, roughly when the first work in On18 was being done.  Definitely a minority scale-gauge, but there are several small manufacturers supplying engine and rolling stock kits.  Also, Backwoods Miniatures produces a few interesting critters. 

The chassis needing a gear is likely a Bachmann 0-4-0, and NWSL supplies a regearing kit, but you might also want to replace the motor - MotorMan on eBay could probably help.

http://stores.ebay.com/microlocomotion

• Like 1

I found the two images, and they're clearly of an earlier version of the layout, before the two end modules were added.

Note for Mods - I did an image search on these, and they've vanished from the web, so I'm attaching the files as I copied them about a decade? ago.

Edited by velotrain
Photos removed at Mod demand
11 hours ago, velotrain said:

Amazing bargain - I can't believe that no one else was interested.  Never mind the electronics - all that hand-laid track should make it worth many times what you paid for it.

Is that spar tree still attached?  I'd think that would require very careful transport.  It does look rather lonely on top of the hill there.  A better use of the space might be a small resort-hotel, although that whole rock outcropping in the middle of the layout is rather strange, and I doubt anything would allow it to look like it belongs.

Somewhere in my files I have a copy of a photo of this layout from about a decade ago, roughly when the first work in On18 was being done.  Definitely a minority scale-gauge, but there are several small manufacturers supplying engine and rolling stock kits.  Also, Backwoods Miniatures produces a few interesting critters. 

The chassis needing a gear is likely a Bachmann 0-4-0, and NWSL supplies a regearing kit, but you might also want to replace the motor - MotorMan on eBay could probably help.

http://stores.ebay.com/microlocomotion

thanks velotrain. i actually just had a good look in the box containing the chassis missing a gear and there is a very tiny coreless motor as well. He was obviously going to upgrade the chassis at some point. Another friend in my area is an agent for NWSL so will see what he has. I agree with that middle rock outcrop area. Not happy with that either. The chap had a wonderful collection of locos that were homebuilt or scratchbuilt with sound mostly and unfortunately he sold these off before selling the layout. At the time i didn't think i had a need for On30 locos or rolling stock.