Is there a good Elctricity/Electronics Primer?

Hobby Dreamer

Hobby Dreamer

Hi,

although I have numerous model rail magazines and some books (and even my old physics text), I was wondering if there is a good primer on electricity and electronics, that could help in this hobby, either on the net or in book form.

A lot of resources (such as the Kalbach (sp?) books/mags) are either superficial or provide too much in the way of circuit board detail etc. so I cannot extrapolate up or downwards. One article states "be careful not to overload the power supply" (duh!) but offers no lessons on how to determine limitations.

I probably have 100 general and specific questions so it might be easier for me to read some first and then ask only a few.

For example, I have no clue on the number of accessories one can wire to a power supply or whether a separate transformer is advised, or when one might be advised. And there are related issue such as heat generated. I plan to use a foam base and maybe Woodland Scenics risers but am not sure whether heat is an  issue or if/when a bare wire comes in contact, when is it a concern.

To tell you the truth, although they use *almost* the same house current in Japan as they do in North America I don't know if transformers bought from Japan can be used here. I've seen the question raised on several forums but there seems to be some dispute.

I'm sure this is a common concern

Thanks

Rick

CaptOblivious

I can answer some of your questions :D

First, you might find this book helpful; but then you might not. Look at Amazon's preview and see: All New Electronics Self-Teaching Guide

Each electric component draws a certain amount of current; the way multiple parts are connected determines the total current draw. Overloading a power supply means drawing more current than the supply can provide. Calculating current draw in a complex circuit is non-trival and requires the application of Ohm's law and Kirchoff's laws. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirchhoff's_circuit_laws).

Heat generation is related to the power consumption of the components, measured in Watts. The various components you'll use will generally have a power rating; basically, if you don't want to melt foam, keep those values as low as possible, or those components away from foam.

You can safely plug your Japanese transformer into your NA outlet :D

I hope this is a helpful start? I'm also looking for better recommendations for a beginner's book myself, if anyone has some.

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks again, that's a good start...

The sad part is that we spent about 1 week in 1st year physics on electricity and I aced that component. Its the difference between memorizing formulas and "like" questions and really understanding.

Another quick Question: How do you attach store bought street lights? Do you wrap the connection to the leads with tape?

Thanks again!

CaptOblivious

Tape won't be reliable enough—I'd solder, but you might could use the so-called "suitcase" connectors (just google the term) if you don't like to solder. Some folks go so far as to attach mini plugs of various sorts to the lights so they can be removed easily from the power supply.

The sad part is that we spent about 1 week in 1st year physics on electricity and I aced that component. Its the difference between memorizing formulas and "like" questions and really understanding.

I know exactly how you feel ... I did electronics as one of the subjects in high school plus the electricity covered in general physics in uni ... but I still don't fully understand how to put together a plan for the lightings system for my n scale builidings ...

Martijn Meerts

Electronics seems to be something that's easily forgotten when not used.. I did 4 years of electronics as part of my car mechanics education, but I'm uncertain about most things electronic these days.

Planning on doing a basic course soon though, I really want to know more about it all, so I can make a better layout =)