Very Small British OO9 Narrow Gauge Layout

nickhp

Started building a new layout yesterday, a British OO9 layout (OO scale running on N scale track) in 30x16".  As with my B Train layout, this will be constructed from Gatorfoam.  I've been planning this layout for a while and collecting pieces for it, but I have now actually started the build process.  Photos of yesterdays activities attached.

Photo 1 - overall layout plan with its 3 scenes which will be divided by a tall backdrop. 

Photo 2 - curved viaduct for the left end of the plan shown in photo 1.  This is a Kibri N scale viaduct that I have modified to a much tighter radius.  Main work was to make a new deck for the bridge and then force the sides and under arch sections to comply with this smaller radius.  Not the best but the under arch areas will not be easily visible.

Photo 3 - Curved viaduct sitting on the end scene of my layout plan printed to full size.

Photo 4 - Country church scene which is the top area of photo 1.  A low relief Bachmann church is being used here.  A road will come over the railway on a bridge at right of photo, curve down parallel with the railway past the church and cross the road again via a level crossing.

Photo 5 - Small town scene based on Cappy in France shown at bottom of photo 1.  The pub will be cut in half to make it low relief.  The house at left will be cut into almost a quarter with only the front lower part remaining.  It is situated on the layout where it will sit and the bold lines show the backdrops so you can see how it will be cut down.  The line will emerge from a tunnel at left, cross a street almost immediately, along a small straight, cross another road and then curve off into dense trees hiding a hole in the backdrop.

The final 3 photos show the initial construction.  A piece of 1/2" Gatorfoam forms the main base.  I duplicated that board onto a piece of 1/4" Gatorfoam and transferred the track outline onto it.  I then cut out the track area, leaving a couple of areas to hold the center area in place.  I used the holes to cut woodland scenics foam roadbed to shape to exactly fill the trackbed.  Using 1/4" Gatorfoam brings surrounding area to the same height as the trackbed foam, more representative of heavily bedded track base.  I then glued the 1/4" piece to the 1/2" piece, and once the glue dried a bit, cut the webs holding the center section in place.  I then glued in the foam roadbed into the appropriate area - a perfect fit and so much easier than trying to match the trackplan after installation.

Next up is a bit I am dreading a bit - installing track.  Given the sharp radius, I am bending Peco OO9 rail using a home made rail bender.  Not complicated but for some reason I have been worrying over this part excessively.  Hope to have all this installed tonight and will post photos once in place.

More later!

Nick

0001sm.jpg

0002sm.jpg

0003sm.jpg

0004sm.jpg

0005sm.jpg

0006sm.jpg

0007sm.jpg

0008sm.jpg

Edited by nickhp
  • Like 7

Looking forward to see the progress. Have you already got your rolling stock? With these tight bends you'd better know in advance if it will round the corners.

Yes, 4 wheel Minitrains based locos and Minitrains/Peco rolling stock.  Tested everything on Kato 4.5" curves and no issues, so 6" is not an issue. 

Regards,

Nick

Does the top edge of the layout seem too tall relative to the size of the church?  This side is slightly deeper than the other and so benefits more from extra height, but I think I may have made the scene too tall so would appreciate some feedback from others!

112.jpg

111.jpg

• Like 2

I don't think it's a problem.  The church is low enough that you could have a tall tree towering over it.

It's also a question of your intended display height.