Osaka 103 Series retirement announcement

Sad news, but it seems from this article that the 103 series will be retired in Osaka this October.  Are there any other 103's left running in relatively original configuration or in JNR style paint?  I'm disappointed I missed seeing the famous Osaka 103's, hopefully I can make it over before all of the type are gone.  

http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/13544953/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sad to see them go.

As far as i know, all remaining Loop Line (and osaka urban network 103s) have been rebuilt into the N40 standard.

Some non-refurbrished units still exist on rural lines, such as the Wakayama and Sakurai lines, and in the Kyoto area (Nara line for example).

While the Kyoto units might soon follow their Osaka counterparts, the rural units might remain around for a decade more.

Edited by Socimi

I'm not sure how long will the older EMU's in JR West service in the Keihanshin region continue to last for anything older than the 201系. You still see 201系 on a number of lines east of Osaka. I also think the days of the 113系/115系 east of Osaka may soon be coming to an end--JR West has already started to assign the 223系 EMU on the Kusatsu Line, where shorter trainsets are connected to a longer trainset at Kusatsu Station for the run to Osaka Station. And who knows how long will JR West continue to run the 113系 on the Kosei Line local service from Kyoto to Omi-Maiko Station.

In short, outside of the Shinano Railway, the only place to see the 113系/115系 in regular service fairly soon is on the San'yo Main Line west of Himeji all the way to Shimonoseki. JR West refurbished a number of 113系/115系 trainsets recently and they'll be around probably until circa 2021 or so--unless JR West suddenly makes a big 227系 order (like I've guessed for a while).

Don't forget the 2-car JR West 113-5800s that run around Fukuchiyama and the JR Shikoku's 113s! I don't think these have much time left as well though. I think the 113-5800s will be replaced by 2-car 225s in a few years, and JR Shikoku only has 2 out of 3 running sets left at all. For those that don't know, the 113/115s that run along the Sanyo Main Line also tend to run through on lines like the Ako Line, Hakubi Line, Uno Line, etc.

As for JNR rolling stock, also don't forget the 205-0 series. There's not many of these left either. In the Kanto area you will only see them on the Musashino Line and Keiyo Line (and on the Nambu Line maybe?), and in Kansai on the Hanwa Line.

I don't think outside of the San'yo Main Line west of Himeji (and any branch line running from that), the 113/115 models will not last long. JR West is running shorter 223's between Fukuchiyama and Sonobe on the San'in Main Line and from Ayabe all the way to Tsuruga on the Maizuru/Obama Lines now.

As for the 205系, I believe only the Musashino Line is using them now. The Saikyo, Keiyo and Namba Lines are all running E233系 variants now. And who knows long long will JR East continue to run the 205系 on the Musashino Line service before they're replaced by another E233系 derivative or even an E235系 derivative. Some 205系 may survive, primarily on the Sagami Line, the Hachiko/Kawagoe Line service between Hachioji and Kawagoe, and the Namba Branch Line.

3 hours ago, katoftw said:

Didn't even see one last week.  All 8 car new loop trains or 4+4 221 series trains.

You mean they're mostly the 201 or 323 Series trainsets now. The 221 Series trainsets are coming in on the Yamatoji Rapid Service from Kamo and Nara on the Kansai Main Line.

Edited by Sacto1985

does the 221 series run on the Osaka Loop line? I recall from Densha de go, I don't recall seeing 221 series running Osaka loop line, but I do recall seeing quite a number of 221 series stopping at Osaka loop lines, like Taisho for example...

Yup. Just found this photo in my library of a 221 series on the Yamatoji Rapid Service terminating at Tennoji.

2017-02-16_JR-West-223_Tennoji.thumb.jpg.1e3a112a452cdbe91590fdfd6e8ae8be.jpg

Edited by Densha
  • Like 1

YouTube member (and JNS Forum poster!) ayokoi just posted this video of 103 Series trainset LA4, which I believe is the last operational 103 Series train regularly operating in central Osaka:

It's truly the end of an age in Osaka railroading, and who knows how long the 201 Series will last before they too are replaced the the 323 Series.

Thanks for sharing, even though its a sad day.  Are the slightly taller and boxier cars (4th and 5th from the front) from a 201 series train?

On 30/9/2017 at 2:08 AM, JR 500系 said:

does the 221 series run on the Osaka Loop line? I recall from Densha de go, I don't recall seeing 221 series running Osaka loop line, but I do recall seeing quite a number of 221 series stopping at Osaka loop lines, like Taisho for example...

211 series use the Osaka Loop Line, but not as Loop Trains. They are operated on Yamatoji Rapid and Regional Rapid services to and from Nara and Kamo (Kyoto) on the Yamatoji line. They enter the Osaka Loop Line at Tennoji, run the line clockwise, stopping at a few key sations that provide transfers to the Municipal Subway (such as Nishikujo and Taisho), then stopping at Osaka station, providing transfer to the Tokaido Main Line and various  private companies at the nearby Umeda station, then departs and still running clockwise reaches Tennoji (again) where it terminates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka_Loop_Line#Local

7 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Thanks for sharing, even though its a sad day.  Are the slightly taller and boxier cars (4th and 5th from the front) from a 201 series train?

4th and 5th cars are from a 103 series N40 trainset, N40 means a refurbrished train that may last maximium 40 years (from the date of their building, for example 1967). Most of these refurbrisments were carried out in very early 2000s on individual cars, starting from the most worn-out ones, resulting in non-uniform compostitions (almost all trains were composed by a mix of refurbrished and unrefurbrished cars). Modifications included new cab ends, new doors, semi-sealed windows and a more powerful air conditioner.

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/den221/imgs/d/b/dbe8e2d4.jpg

Rebuilt KuHa of an N40 trainset

• Like 1

If I remember from the Yamatoji services, there are two type starting from Kamo, the east end of electrification on the Kansai Main Line in JR West territory. One terminates at JR Namba Station, and one makes one trip of the Osaka Loop Line before terminating at Tennoji. The ones that terminate at JR Namba use the 201 Series trainsets, while the one that make the single trip around the Loop are 221 Series trainsets.

21 hours ago, Sacto1985 said:

who knows how long the 201 Series will last before they too are replaced the the 323 Series.

I've seen that they're supposed to be retired in 2018.  I don't know if that's calendar or fiscal 2018.

My guess right now is that about half of the 21 eight-car sets of the new 323 Series are now in service. I wouldn't be surprised that the last 201 Series in Osaka Loop Line service retires around the end of March 2018.

YouTube member tetsudoudaisukiman just posted this video of the final operation of the 103 Series trainset LA4, with the end of service at Kyōbashi Station just north of the Morinomiya service yard:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1